Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1884 Canada 10c - authentic? Opinions sought

Hello collectors, I am seeking opinions on the authenticity of a Canadian ten cents I traded for quite a few years ago. I showed this coin to a Canadian dealer at the Winter Fun Show about 4 years ago and he volunteered his opinion that it could be counterfeit. I have procrastinated majorly on looking into this any further, but I'd like to get opinions from my fellow Canadian collectors. What say you - real or fake?

This was graded XF40 by PCGS and is in one of their secure holders - cert number 27827110 and the photos are PCGS'.

Thanks in advance for feedback. I saw a recent posting on another coin forum about this same date graded by PCGS being a counterfeit piece, and so this may get interesting.

Comments

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2019 10:55AM

Does the coin look like the one in the true view picture?

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kliao said:

Yes, the spitting image.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GotTheBug said:

@Kliao said:

Yes, the spitting image.

Then I would think it’s fine as I trust PCGS in their verification of coins for authenticity.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options

@Kliao said:

@GotTheBug said:

@Kliao said:

Yes, the spitting image.

Then I would think it’s fine as I trust PCGS in their verification of coins for authenticity.

I trust them too, but having seen the (alleged) counterfeit piece (also PCGS certified) on the other website, which looked real to me, I decided to put out some feelers. It's comforting to have the PCGS guarantee backing things up, that's for sure.

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 6, 2019 7:36PM

I believe this coin came from a dealer or "distributor" in Albania.
    a whole bunch of similar Canadian items showed up during the last few days.
    Here is a link I sent to Mike Marshal for removal.looks like all the canadian coins were removed from this sellers "bargain basement". He had offered a 1890 50 cent (canada) for if I remember right, 270 CAN $.
    Perhaps member SYL wishes to chime in?

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2019 8:02AM

@YQQ said:
    I believe this coin came from a dealer or "distributor" in Albania.
    a whole bunch of similar Canadian items showed up during the last few days.
    Here is a link I sent to Mike Marshal for removal.looks like all the canadian coins were removed from this sellers "bargain basement". He had offered a 1890 50 cent (canada) for if I remember right, 270 CAN $.
    Perhaps member SYL wishes to chime in?

YQQ - Any idea how long the Albanian seller has been doing this? I acquired this coin from a reputable Canadian dealer quite a few years ago, in trade.

Edited to remove the name of the seller.

• Options

Sorry, no idea for how long.
    watch your PM please,

• Options

I was not able to find a good pic of another 1884 to compare but the lettering alignment looks off to me. I think the Mint by this time had the ability to make them straighter then this appears. I am not an expert though.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a pic..............

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭

To me, the bow at the top of the Reverse crown doesn't look right.

• Options

@GotTheBug said:

@Kliao said:

@GotTheBug said:

@Kliao said:

Yes, the spitting image.

I trust them too, but having seen the (alleged) counterfeit piece (also PCGS certified) on the other website, which looked real to me, I decided to put out some feelers. It's comforting to have the PCGS guarantee backing things up, that's for sure.

I know that our good friends in China have taken a shine to making fake PCGS holders, so I wanted to clarify that about the other coin. > @DoubleEagle59 said:

Here's a pic..............

Double Eagle, is your coin certified? It's a good comparison piece and the more I look at yours the less I am confident in mine.

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, mine was certified by ICCS many years ago.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options

Did not want to raise that ugly subject before.
    D Eagle, when was yours certified? And did you have it done by ICCS?
    I looked at the 3 I have and could not come to a conclusion.... but...
    I even asked MM to look at it. He never responded to that.
    Got the BUG
    maybe you might want to contact the dealer you bought it from for an opinion?