Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Advice on old coins please....

Was left these old coins by a family member, are they junk or worth keeping, thankyou! Xx

Comments

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Photos #19 and #20 seem to show a coin of Franz 1 of Austria, but lacking a date and denomination, it may be a Jeton or token used for counting/tallying.

A few of those other coins (but not all) have a modest silver content, but I must caution that starting your automobile to drive to the coin shop (a special trip) would chew up any money that you would get from selling these.

The 1988 Washington Quarter may be spent without further worry.

• These are fascinating! Definitely worth keeping. Thanks for sharing :)

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forums!

• SapyxSapyx Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:
    Photos #19 and #20 seem to show a coin of Franz 1 of Austria, but lacking a date and denomination, it may be a Jeton or token used for counting/tallying.

That's a Reader's Digest brass replica of an Austrian gold ducat. I have two of them I inherited from my grandmother (who was a big RD subscriber). One of them has COPY clearly marked on it; the other does not. They are otherwise identical.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sapyx With you stating it that way, yes, it is easy to find that Numista agrees with you! Many thanks! Seems like an odd choice for a promotional item.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

You would be well served to use en.ucoin.net to look up these coins. Silver is good, has value, condition is important. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52