Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Unopened Cellos - What should I be looking for?

I'm usually just collect autographed rookie cards, but have been toying with the idea of collecting unopened cellos with certain players/cards on top. I have never collected anything that's been graded so I'm not 100% sure what I should be looking for as far as condition for raw/ungraded packs.

Also, any ideas where I can find out values of packs? Just check around for ebay's sold auctions?

Any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

I’d pay the Psa 9 equivalent of the card for it showing on the front of a sealed pack. Good luck and enjoy.

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    erbaerba Posts: 285 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the info and advice, I appreciate it.

• Options
    erbaerba Posts: 285 ✭✭✭✭

So this would be total garbage?

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

At the very best, that's a miswrap, but I highly suspect it wouldn't pass authentication by anyone reputable. Different years have different quirks, but I would expect the back of an 85T cello to look like this (stealing a forum members eBay pic) ...

Another thing to pay attention to is sheet sequencing for each year. For some years, it should be highly improbable -> impossible for a given key rookie to appear on top if say the collation is A/B/C sheets above the gum, D/E/F below, seeing a key rookie on top from the D, E, or F sheet should raise some red flags.

• Options
    JakeR2234JakeR2234 Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

My advice is to buy PSA/ Steve Hart authenticated packs for anything over $20-30. The pack above with Clemons looks pretty rough but I have seen packs like that as authentic. I try to find non star packs of the same year and compare as mentioned above.

Collation is important for anything pre-1984ish... Some bad packs have made it through in the early years of packs being slabbed but anything newer should be good. Some star rookies will/ should be only found on backs of packs based on this.

Lots of experienced collectors out there- that's what has helped me with my pack collection. Ask questions often!

PC Walter Payton - Bear Down!

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

I should add, the majority of my hands-on experience is from post-1980. I've bought 1970s stuff and have certainly spent many hours researching but I would defer to a number of other collectors here when it comes to the 1970s stuff. Hopefully they'll chime in with their expertise. They've been at it MUCH longer than I have and know MUCH more than I do.

Arthur