Home Sports Talk
Options

Lebron James and Kyrie Irving.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only 3-4 years ago it seemed apparent to many fans that the problem in Cleveland with the Cavaliers was Lebron James, that his ego was toxic and it ultimately led to Kyrie Irving leaving and the downfall of the Team. In light of what is happening today in two Cities 3,000 miles apart the picture has focused a little. Perhaps the problem wasn't the ego of Lebron James, perhaps it was the ego and petty jealousy of Kyrie Irving.

When Irving left for Boston it looked at first to be a good thing, the Celtics showed us the promise of what was to be the new shape of the East. All the same, LBJ showed his true greatness and helped the Cavs to overcome the Celtics and fall short, again, against the superior Warriors. Now, Irving has moved on to Brooklyn after he proved toxic in Boston and LBJ has moved on to LA where his star power helped bring other players to the Team. While he is clearly on a downward curve yet still a capable player, Lebron James looks to be on the cusp of a run to maybe another Championship. Kyrie Irving now seems ready to halt any chance that Brooklyn had envisioned of being in the playoffs, carrying his toxic nature and perpetual injuries along with him to the Nets.

My point is to the Seven Deadly Sins of which pride always leads the parade. I wonder if Kyrie had been able to pocket his pride and be the great Number Two player he was in Cleveland that things today would be pretty different, for him, LBJ and probably three other Teams. In retrospect from MyLoftyPerch it has been worked out that the problem in Cleveland(and in Boston and now in Brooklyn) is Kyrie Irving. What was originally thought to be the problem, Lebron James, was really a solution and is that now for the City of Los Angeles.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

If Durant was playing it would be a different situation and they would all be happy because they would be winning. Lebron a solution is not really right since he was losing last year and is now winning with Davis. Yes he was hurt, but was still losing when playing. I think it's pretty clear that Irving does have an issue (mentally) and does need help since he is a cancer everywhere he goes. James mentally is on a whole other level compared to Kyrie. James' ego is pretty big and always will be since he pretty much runs every team wherever he goes. I can understand why some owners are so controlling with players like Lebron trying to run teams. Again, if Durant was playing this conversation would not be happening.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tomi said:
    If Durant was playing it would be a different situation and they would all be happy because they would be winning. Lebron a solution is not really right since he was losing last year and is now winning with Davis. Yes he was hurt, but was still losing when playing. I think it's pretty clear that Irving does have an issue (mentally) and does need help since he is a cancer everywhere he goes. James mentally is on a whole other level compared to Kyrie. James' ego is pretty big and always will be since he pretty much runs every team wherever he goes. I can understand why some owners are so controlling with players like Lebron trying to run teams. Again, if Durant was playing this conversation would not be happening.

I agree with the above. While both Lebron and Kyrie have ego problems...….at least Lebron is not toxic where ever he goes.

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2, 2019 3:45AM

As a Celtics fan, they are a better TEAM without Kyrie. He is a very talented ball handler and shooter, but the others stood around watching while he created his own shot. Kemba Walker a better fit and LBJ is playing at a high level with AD/Lakers. Nets may be better with Dinwiddie at the point.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check my math on this but Kyrie sat out a game against the Celts now but he has missed every game against Cleveland since he left. That is literally insane

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    Only 3-4 years ago it seemed apparent to many fans that the problem in Cleveland with the Cavaliers was Lebron James, that his ego was toxic and it ultimately led to Kyrie Irving leaving and the downfall of the Team. In light of what is happening today in two Cities 3,000 miles apart the picture has focused a little. Perhaps the problem wasn't the ego of Lebron James, perhaps it was the ego and petty jealousy of Kyrie Irving.

When Irving left for Boston it looked at first to be a good thing, the Celtics showed us the promise of what was to be the new shape of the East. All the same, LBJ showed his true greatness and helped the Cavs to overcome the Celtics and fall short, again, against the superior Warriors. Now, Irving has moved on to Brooklyn after he proved toxic in Boston and LBJ has moved on to LA where his star power helped bring other players to the Team. While he is clearly on a downward curve yet still a capable player, Lebron James looks to be on the cusp of a run to maybe another Championship. Kyrie Irving now seems ready to halt any chance that Brooklyn had envisioned of being in the playoffs, carrying his toxic nature and perpetual injuries along with him to the Nets.

My point is to the Seven Deadly Sins of which pride always leads the parade. I wonder if Kyrie had been able to pocket his pride and be the great Number Two player he was in Cleveland that things today would be pretty different, for him, LBJ and probably three other Teams. In retrospect from MyLoftyPerch it has been worked out that the problem in Cleveland(and in Boston and now in Brooklyn) is Kyrie Irving. What was originally thought to be the problem, Lebron James, was really a solution and is that now for the City of Los Angeles.

Al H.

Agree

When Anthony Davis returned to where he demanded a trade from (New Orleans) to well deserved hatred and boos from the fans. Same treatment occurring during AD's post game, on court interview, LBJ patiently waited to walk off the court with AD in a show of "I've got your back."!

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is very interesting to see how players (in any professional sport) perform during their careers.

Some players perform consistently well, year after year, on an upward trajectory [better every passing year] until father time catches up with them.

Other players are different, experiencing ups and downs in their performances (due to a variety of factors, including injury, moving on to a new franchise, etc.)

LBJ is a player that has demonstrated amazing consistency throughout his career. His performance (absent injury) remains at a high level, year after year. His consistency has led him to individual accolades; and has led a variety of teams with differing talent levels deep into the playoffs.

In hindsight, I bet that LBJ was very satisfied with the Lakers not making the playoffs last year. That gave LBJ a chance to step off of the treadmill, get an extra 2+ months of time off to recharge his mind and body. He is having a great season thus far and I expect that the Lakers will play deep into the playoffs.

Kyrie Irving is different from LBJ. He has phenomenal talents, but he lacks consistency. He has played for multiple franchises and with each franchise he has not been content. As a result team chemistry has been lacking, resulting in him moving on to his next stop. It will be interesting to see how things work out for him with the Nets this year and next year (with Durant back on the floor).

I was looking forward to seeing how Curry would have performed this year, without Durant, Thompson, Iggy, etc.

I had thought he could possibly have had an MVP level year.

I also thought he could have had a lousy year.

With his injury, his 2019-2020 year is a bust. So one will never know how he would have performed.