Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

New Book:The Legendary Harry Caray by Don Zminda

Just finished this book on "Mr. Holy Cow". A good read. Insights into his personality and how he got his start in broadcasting. Also covered is his family history. Cub fans should enjoy this book. Is not just a sugar coated story of his life, but not a smear job either. By his own admission the man could really put away the alcohol. To keep it card related. Has he ever appeared on cardboard?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, there are quite a few cards of him. Here are some available on Ebay right now.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2019 7:26AM

Don Zminda.... I remember when that old fool charged at Pedro and was tossed to the ground. Same guy, right? ;)

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

No doubt Harry could pack away the Budweiser. I had the chance to be around him quite bit in the 80's as I worked for the Stadium Operations department for the Cubs during that time and being a bigger guy, I usually sat with Harry during his bleacher broadcasts as was around him for several other functions each year. Was Harry a warm and fuzzy guy? Oh heck no but he never treated me poorly and pretty much what you saw on TV is what you got with the man. He had several other people that hung around him but specifically, Harry's driver had so many great stories I wish he had written a book!

Here is the ball Harry signed for me back in the '80's.

I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mccardguy1 said:
    No doubt Harry could pack away the Budweiser. I had the chance to be around him quite bit in the 80's as I worked for the Stadium Operations department for the Cubs during that time and being a bigger guy, I usually sat with Harry during his bleacher broadcasts as was around him for several other functions each year. Was Harry a warm and fuzzy guy? Oh heck no but he never treated me poorly and pretty much what you saw on TV is what you got with the man. He had several other people that hung around him but specifically, Harry's driver had so many great stories I wish he had written a book!

Here is the ball Harry signed for me back in the '80's.

In the book his driver is mentioned. Said he couldn't keep up with Harry.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

I am going to have to read the book. Sounds like an interesting read. I am quite sure nobody could keep up with Harry. Lol

I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mccardguy1 said:
    I am going to have to read the book. Sounds like an interesting read. I am quite sure nobody could keep up with Harry. Lol

Don't think you will be disappointed.