Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Rare variety 1816 960 Reis?

A local dealer pulled this piece out of very, very (very very) long term storage and claimed it was a rare variety of this relatively common coin.

Specifically the "B" at 6:00 (after PORT) on the crown side.

True or false?

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on auction sales, it appears to be the scarcer of two types for the date, but not really rare.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2019 11:20PM

There actually appear to be more variations of the Rio Mint coin dated 1816 than at Bahia.

Some info:

When this book was published in 2012, the 1.85 reis equaled $1USD.

The style of this book is kinda like the Red Book.

I have both editions of that fancy glossy book on the 960 reis coins overstruck on the coins of other nations (mostly Spanish Colonial, of course) but I can't put my fingers on them. IIRC, a fellow named Levy was the author.

Nice coin, but I'm not keen on a big price. I like the undertyping on the coin.

• Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss said:
    A local dealer pulled this piece out of very, very (very very) long term storage and claimed it was a rare variety of this relatively common coin.

Specifically the "B" at 6:00 (after PORT) on the crown side.

True or false?

Most likely false. To me, the "B" has too much distortion from the host coin to be purely from the overstrike. Also, it is not a documented variety in the book that @BillDugan1959 posted about. Does it appear as a documented variety in any other source?