Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What does the 'Mega' connotation actually mean with these ? 2019 TOPPS Chrome Update MEGA Box Rip

HorseHorse Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 29, 2019 2:16PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
  • The box weighs like an ounce
  • Upon opening it there is a deep chasm of nothingness until reaching far down in it and flipping up the box flap of doom.
  • There are 7 packs with 4 cards for a total of 28 cards.
  • Yeah, that's mega. 'Mega' ??? Megadeth with this is what I say !! heh heh.. or MAGA !

Comments

• Options

Next box. Needed to show the top of the chasm of doom that appears once opening the box.

• Options
    mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

I know these boxes are pretty popular with modern collectors but I cannot pull the trigger on spending 20 bucks for 28 cards.

I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reminds me of opening a box of Little Debbie's and they give you 6 packs of snack cakes, when there's room for 12 in the box.

• Options
    arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Nothing making me want to rip this years mega so much but youcan thank all the thieves, pack searchers, pack molesters, pack weighers rewrappers and all the other shenanigans that go on w/ packs these days.

I was shocked to discover what depths folks go thru these days.

Only bright side of all that wasted space are cards in decent shape. A huge difference in quality vs raped hangars or gravity fed.

Pros and cons, I guess.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never seen a $19.99 box called mega before. The usual mega boxes I see are more like $34.99 and usually have a few more packs than a blaster, and sometimes have a bonus pack inside of something different than whats in the packs (whether its all sepia refractors, all rookies, all.....)

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is really the wrong forum for this. Blowout is the place for modern talk.

Mike
  • Options

@ndleo said:
    This is really the wrong forum for this. Blowout is the place for modern talk.

Says?

• Options

There is an almost 70 page thread on this product on Blowout. The interest there is much higher than here. The main focus in this forum is vintage, always has been.

Mike
  • Options

By "wrong" I meant, if you want to get a discussion going for modern, I have found that Blowout has a huge modern collector base.

Mike
  • Options

Ok. For a minute I forgot this was the PSA board and that they only graded vintage.

• Options
    edited November 30, 2019 9:42AM

@artee said:
    Ok. For a minute I forgot this was the PSA board and that they only graded vintage.

Yeah, that doesn't have anything to do with my point. The OP wasn't talking about grading the cards. He wants to talk a modern product. I like modern as well, in my short time over at Blowout, that is the place to talk modern in detail They have some real experts over there.

If anyone is interested in learning everything and I mean EVERYTHING about 2019 Topps Chrome BB Mega Update, here you go.

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1329027

Mike
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree the Mega description is misleading. To me a Mega box has more packs than all the other ones at 19.99 sitting next to them.

• Options
    edited November 30, 2019 12:25PM

@ndleo said:

@artee said:

Yeah, that doesn't have anything to do with my point. The OP wasn't talking about grading the cards. He wants to talk a modern product. I like modern as well, in my short time over at Blowout, that is the place to talk modern in detail They have some real experts over there.

If anyone is interested in learning everything and I mean EVERYTHING about 2019 Topps Chrome BB Mega Update, here you go.

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1329027

So we cant post or learn about these thing here?

Perhaps sifting thru 70 pages of extremely informative dribble such as “tree fiddy”, “pants down”, “triggered” comments arent someones bag.

And yeah. Apparently you missed my point first.

Granted blowout is the modern board but saying this is the “wrong forum” as if modern can not be discussed here as well is, well, wrong in itself.

Can we discuss prewar here too? Or should we head over to n54?

What about Wacky Packs?
    Star Wars?
    Lacrosse cards?
    Wrestling cards?

Driving home my point, PSA board and they grade all of that. So there is no “wrong” especially after merging several card forums into one.

Plus, Ive seen and learned so much simply by stumbling upon threads merely by accident that have nothing to do with my day to day collecting habits. I’m thankful for that.

Discouraging posts saying wrong forum thwart the opportunity to see new things.

Hopefully you see my point now and how your post came across.

• Options

@brad31 said:
    I agree the Mega description is misleading. To me a Mega box has more packs than all the other ones at 19.99 sitting next to them.

Maybe the “mega” refers to the amount of extra room in the boxes? 😉

• Options
    edited November 30, 2019 12:41PM

@ndleo said:
    The main focus in this forum is vintage, always has been.

And agreed that this boards main focus is vintage, blowouts is modern and for all intent and purposes n54 is prewar and how it’s owner possessed stolen cards from a public library, but I think you would also have to agree that the lines in the sand have been dissolving lately. Which is a good thing.

blowout’s top threads right now arent about modern, are they? they are about vintage and pre war. Who woulda thunk that a bunch of guys from n54 would flock over to BO?

As soon as “post comment” is hit, the top thread on this board is about modern. Or just scroll thru the pick ups thread. There’s just as much 1980+ modern lately as there is vintage, if not more.

Cardboard board segregation is pretty much over.

• Options

There's room for more packs in that box. You practically have to use a rope to repel down into the box just to reach those packs.

• Options

If that doesnt change your mind just look at the threads on the front page:

i love the 80’s thread
    kaepernick pc thread
    chili davis
    topps tiffany
    derek jeter psa 9
    clemens & bond heating up
    1993 cardtoons
    1989 topps heads up
    25% off topps at target
    97-98 spx basketball
    2020 heritage
    turning 80/90s commons
    1993 pinnacle tribute
    1985 japanese wrestling
    repli-cards magazine

Just realizing it myself, but there’s more modern talk here than there is vintage.

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

It stands for the unreasonably extra large box they use to house a few overpriced hitless packs.

• Options

Artee - No matter the number of modern threads here, BO is the best place to discuss modern. Don’t get me wrong I love this board, i learned just about everything I know about unopened here.

For the record by modern, I mean newer products. No one here really talks about the latest products. Nothing wrong with that, I don’t buy sushi from a gas station even if it looks great.

To the OP post away, didn’t mean to discourage you.

Mike
  • Options

...as if.

This place a vintage board only... Blasphemy !!!!

• Options

Sha!

• Options

I'm just still in shock that the box is half empty. It just doesn't look right to me. It's like a parakeet in an action film, it just doesn't work.

• Options

Love that scene from Fly Hard!

• Options

@artee said:
    Love that scene from Fly Hard!

You mean Fly Hard 2. ;)

• Options

Oh yeah, the keet-squel.

• Options

@artee said:
    Oh yeah, the keet-squel.

😂😂😂 I love a good bird joke.

• Options

Unfortunately a couple boxes to go. Had heard a rumor these $19.99 no hit 7 pack of 4 card MEGA boxes can at times include little gifts to make up for the excessive suckness. And the rumors must be true.

Inside the dark depths of this box chasm was a pack of smokes.

• Options
    edited December 1, 2019 1:57PM

Last box. Not a peep even of a refractor. This was horrible.

Well.. done with this stuff.

And these small pics suck. How will the folks who do the posts looking for help on 'what will it grade' when the pics are small like this ?

• Options

Wife was at target last night and no mega boxes. But she brought home 20 hangars, which i thought woulda been better due to last years ripping. Turns out just about every pack had either a greatest moments or future stars subset card, ultimately making the packs of 2.

Year before the megas seemed to have an International Affair card in every pack and the hangars were pretty much 4 base card packs.

I did get a blue Keiboom non auto refractor, a couple of base refractors and an auto of some guy I have never heard of.

• Options
    edited December 1, 2019 2:56PM

@Horse said:

And these small pics suck. How will the folks who do the posts looking for help on 'what will it grade' when the pics are small like this ?

If you like to gamble, I tell you I'm your man
    You win some, lose some, all the same to me
    The pleasure is to play, makes no difference what you say
    I "also" share your greed, the only card I need
    is the...

• Options
    edited December 1, 2019 3:02PM

@artee said:

@Horse said:

If you like to gamble, I tell you I'm your man
    You win some, lose some, all the same to me
    The pleasure is to play, makes no difference what you say
    I "also" share your greed, the only card I need
    is the...

ERNIE OF CLUBS !
    THE ERNIE OF CLUBS !

• Options
    edited December 1, 2019 3:04PM

Again, bringing back my original defense of this thread....I have never seen that card before. What the h-ell is it from?

• Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭

Appears to be Topps Mega "Hype" Box.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Horse said:
    Inside the dark depths of this box chasm was a pack of smokes.

In NY, that's got to be a $15 insert.

• Options
    Bearkat21Bearkat21 Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

I was going to get these, and just really couldn’t get excited too much about what was in it. Decided on a Braves 10 box break for 9 bucks. Hit an Austin Riley blue, four base Riley’s, three rookie debut Riley’s and three Acuna’s among a mix of the other Braves offerings. In all I got 20 Braves cards. While watching the break there really wasn’t a whole lot that got me wanting to bust a few myself. I’ll probably try to pick up a Riley auto if the price is right, but this beat dropping $60 bucks on three boxes.

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@artee said:

Ha