Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Advice / What Would You Do -- 70's Grocery Packs

I will be picking up 4 grocery packs tonight, at a pretty good price, and wondered what most would do with them:

1. Send them to Steve and have him put them in holders saying they are authentic
  2. Take the packs out and have them authenticated/graded by Steve/PSA
  3. Keep them as is

I will most likely hold onto these for a while, so not looking to turn a quick profit at the moment...

1 is 1978 football, 1 is 1979 football and the other 2 are 1978 basketball

Comments

• Options
    HorseHorse Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

Keep 'em as is and enjoy the coolness of unmucked up original state glorious grocery racks from the 70's. One would have to be quite good at rebuilding those grocery racks so if they look clean, I'd store 'em.

or rip the crap out of them the instant you get them home and have some beers in ya !!! THAT's more fun ! :)

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Rip, baby, rip!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭

I would do #1 and authenticate them. I'm from the mindset that they're "only original once."

• Options
    Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

@swish54 said:
    I would do #1 and authenticate them. I'm from the mindset that they're "only original once."

I am thinking I may do that with the 2 footballs and one of the buckets...then maybe with the other bucket one, I will open the 3 packs, or get the 3 individual packs graded. Whenever I decide to move them, I'll have no problem recouping my costs, as the 4 grocery racks are running me $160 total

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

If they are for your collection and you are confident they are legit, I would keep them raw. If you plan to sell them, wrapping them with BBCE would be the way to go. As much as Dan's suggestion sounds like fun, I would not rip them unless you are willing to flush money down the toilet or they are torn or damaged (in which case I would still keep the packs sealed). There's just no upside to ripping vintage unopened anymore unless you are ok with doing so for the thrill because ROI is almost assuredly going to be nil.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

Sell one of the duplicate basketball racks on eBay for $250 and keep the others for free.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Authenticate and keep them. Nice group the bks are not worth opening as you could sell one of those and buy like 5 raw sets. Those are hard to find in tray form.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or you could sell the 2 trays with 6 packs and buy a full box of 36 packs. Lol do not open to grade the packs. Sell them and buy 36 packs to grade then.

• Options
    tulsaboytulsaboy Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

The advantage to BBCE if you are keeping them long term would primarily be conservation. The cello wrapping on those can come lose or tear, and their value drops accordingly. Snug tight in a BBCE holder, especially those ones with the black inserts, would preserve it long term and help you with storage.
    kevin

• Options

@handyman said:
    Or you could sell the 2 trays with 6 packs and buy a full box of 36 packs. Lol do not open to grade the packs. Sell them and buy 36 packs to grade then.

Thanks for the info/guidance Handy...appreciate it...I was wondering how tough these grocery packs were to find...

• Options

@tulsaboy said:
    The advantage to BBCE if you are keeping them long term would primarily be conservation. The cello wrapping on those can come lose or tear, and their value drops accordingly. Snug tight in a BBCE holder, especially those ones with the black inserts, would preserve it long term and help you with storage.
    kevin

Thx Kevin...very helpful info as well....will look into getting them off into the mail to BBCE one day it looks like...