Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Topps Tiffany PSA 9 vs Base PSA 10

NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 29, 2019 10:30AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Looking at some late 1980’s rookies (1987 Topps Bo Jackson, 1989 TT Deion Sanders, etc.) Tiffany PSA 9 sells for a similar amount vs the Base PSA 10.

This brought me to question future projection on each, which is a better buy? I know this may vary card by card. Thoughts on a lower card grade Tiffany vs Base in a higher grade?

Hope everyone had a good thanksgiving!

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2019 10:29AM

I would have to go with tiffany. I compare Tiffany to refractor type cards. It gives the card that extra special quality. Why eat store brand pizza, when I can have Domino's. That's not to say I don't love base cards. I would just rather have Domino's.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    I would have to go with tiffany. I compare Tiffany to refractor type cards. It gives the card that extra special quality. Why eat store brand pizza, when I can have Domino's. That's not to say I don't love base cards. I would just rather have Domino's.

Maybe some images will help the cause here...

Store Brand:

Domino's or maybe something better :):

• Options

Hmmm. That store brand does appear to have better looking crust (centering). ;)

• Options
    edited November 29, 2019 5:54PM

@doubledragon said:

A 10 probably will (but not always). That would be part of the trade off for a 9 vs 10.

My question is in a broader sense, not just this card.. Does the relative short print run of a Tiffany make it more desirable in a lower grade than base in a higher grade?

• Options

@NGS428 said:

@doubledragon said:

A 10 probably will (but not always). That would be part of the trade off for a 9 vs 10.

My question is in a broader sense, not just this card.. Does the relative short print run of a Tiffany make it more desirable in a lower grade than base in a higher grade?

I guess in the end, it all depends on the collector. It's a very interesting question. I've always been fascinated by this kind of stuff.

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

Tiffany all the way.

Fairly easy to get your hands on 80's mint ungraded cards that might pull a 10. With Tiffany it is nearly impossible.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Tiffany production runs seemed to shift significantly depending on the year so I think this is more about which card you're talking about. If it's a 1990 Tiffany and it's decently centered I'd go Tiffany 9 all day. If it's 1986 I'm going base 10 all day. Just way too many variables to answer blanketly.

Arthur

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 865 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have both tiffany psa 9 and topps traded psa 10. I bought both of them a couple of years ago.

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 865 ✭✭✭✭✭

here is the topps psa 10

• Options
    edited November 30, 2019 5:39PM

@lwehlers said:
    I have both tiffany psa 9 and topps traded psa 10. I bought both of them a couple of years ago.

Now you're just showing off. :) I have been on the hunt for a centered 9 for a few years now. Still searching...

• Options
    arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2019 5:09PM

Tiffany in general. Just dont forget about the OPCs or Nestles.

But really a card by card basis. Each card has it’s own scenario going on amongst the 4 versions.

For example, the ‘87 Bonds. I’d go OPC 9 vs. 87 reg 10. or 87 tiff 9, maybe even a 10.

Hadnt looked up what tiff 10s are going for. I just remember an OPC in 9 or better is extremely tough.

ETA: And I’d take a 87 opc 10 vs 86 ttt 10 too.

• Options

Taking a look back at this topic. Tending to lean toward the Tiffany/Glossy 9 vs base 10. Does anyone have any info on the fleer glossy print run? I am seeing.. Not sure if this is accurate or if it was ever announced.

1987 Fleer Glossy base and update: 75k-100k
    1988 Fleer Glossy base and update: 40k-60k
    1989 Fleer Glossy base (no update was made): 30k

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer the regular because of how the Tiffanys yellow. Strange that they do but the All Star Glossies from Rack Packs and the Sendaway Glossies do not.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

@brad31 said:
    I prefer the regular because of how the Tiffanys yellow. Strange that they do but the All Star Glossies from Rack Packs and the Sendaway Glossies do not.

tiffany were made in a different plant in Ireland

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

Good call and interesting point. For a short answer, I say collect both! If they are around the same price, just get both.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

@brad31 said:

tiffany were made in a different plant in Ireland

Thanks for the explanation. Wish they had made them like the others. Would have looked a lot cleaner.

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭

If they're the same price, why not go with the lower pop.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

People are infatuated with 10's.

Going by the population report doesn't always work.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set