Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1985 Roger Clemens Rookie Question

Searching through eBay sold listings recently and I was surprised by PSA 10 copies of Clemens.

Topps - Really skyrocketing right now

DonRuss - Seems very undervalued right now and I’m not sure why? Especially with what I would consider a very condition sensitive (black border) issue.

Fleer - Not sure I even saw any available on eBay. Are the grey borders that rare in high grade?

Anyone else care to chime in?

-Collecting anything vintage

Comments

• GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

Polarizing player with uncertain HoF outcome. Predicting trends with him and guys like Bonds is even more difficult than others.

• VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭

The time has come that cards from the 70's in high grade have become too expensive for many collectors so they now turn to 80's products which was loaded with a lot of great players. That and collectors who were kids from that era also now have disposable income. Even if The Rocket or Bonds never get in (which would be a crime), their cards - especially rookie cards will always sell like a HOF player. The numbers they put on the field justify those prices. Plus - doesn't hurt that HOF announcements are coming up in January and to pick one up now isn't a bad idea with the hope that they do make it in which would result in even higher prices.

• JimMeantJimMeant Posts: 341 ✭✭✭

To be clear, I’m not necessarily talking about the legitimacy of Clemens and his HOF candidacy. I understand that collectors are in speculation mode on Clemens and his high grade rookies as the Hall of Fame announcement draws near.

Rather, I’m hoping that somebody can weigh in as to the discrepancy in value and desirability of his 1985 Topps, DonRuss, and Fleer rookies.

-Collecting anything vintage
  • ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

His 1985 Topps card is much tougher to get a PSA 10 than compared to the other two.

Arthur

• VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

I get what you saying. It seems like the Donruss would be tougher and of a higher value with those black borders but the 85 Topps is really tough. Makes me think too how the McGwire should be a higher value I think too

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many people do not care what should be the most valuable/scarce card. They buy what they like.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭

Donruss the majority of gems came factory produced and of the 3 mainstream is relatively easy to get a Gem 10. If anything they are overpriced. Black borders you'd think would be hard but factory sealed sets made that a non issue packaging was top notch.

Topps despite millions available has their usual QC issues, the white is easily stained and corners a major nuisance. The QC issue I see affecting most Topps is poor registration & focus and loss of color. Hard to get one that really pops out at ya. I actually gemmed his Topps before his Fleer amazingly. Still a bear to get that card Gem.

Fleer has its usual poor production and of the mainstream issues was the hardest for me to gem. Poor centering and packaging created corner problems. Centering was horrible as well. The pic was bland and 1985 for me was the worst picture choice I saw Fleer make that decade. You often find them out of focus.

Of the 3 major mainstream issues that Topps PSA 10 I agree with Arthur is one I'd want.

If your looking for a 1985 issue of his to own save up and buy a 1985 Topps Tiffany PSA 10 Clemens . Take the Topps headache and add in a glossy surface susceptible to scratches and you get Clemens hardest 80's Topps Gem. Despite belief of 5000 sets produced ( more like 15,000) its still a toughie as packaging made that Tiffany susceptible to corner damages as well

My opinion of course.
    Jeff

• rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

I think the best bet is the 85 Leaf

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

I also think if you want rarity the signed cards or unopened pack showing is the way to go:

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neither Bonds or Clemens need the HOF IMO .... they are already more popular than 95% of HOF'ers.....their cards will continue to rise as time passes and forgiveness softens their memory.

• ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd be buying both ~ Bonds O pee chee and Rogers Tiffany.