Home Sports Talk
Options

why games aren't played on paper........update: turns out, this story is much bigger than the upset

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 27, 2019 4:52PM in Sports Talk

i was keeping up with this game tonight bc my alma mater plays in the lowly Southland Conference alongside a school called Stephen F. Austin. kind of a big deal for a representative of the conference to play the big bad #1-ranked Blue Devils on their turf. all of a sudden, it became an enormous deal. to set the stage, the Lumberjacks were a 29-point dog in this game.

enjoy one of the best endings to one of the biggest upsets in NCAA history.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=28172923

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Recall watching the Tyson - Douglas first bout at a friends house. From Japan and late night as i recollect.

Great to be a part of the major upsets, even if on TV.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,958 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 27, 2019 1:22AM

Man, that is unbelievable. Those guys earned that win. They just flat played their guts out. They beat Duke at their own house. I'm speechless. When an upset happens, I usually chew on the arm of my sofa for a minute to calm myself down.

• Options
    edited November 27, 2019 1:25AM

Ok, I feel better now.

• Options

Congrats to Stephen F. Austin. No one gave them a chance.

• Options
    arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

cray cray.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep......that's why they play the games!

• Options
    edited November 27, 2019 6:48AM

I can't see DIMEMAN'S post. Can anyone else see his post? This is what has been going on lately in the trading card forum. A lot of members have been posting, but their posts can't be seen.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I can't see DIMEMAN'S post. Can anyone else see his post? This is what has been going on lately in the trading card forum. A lot of members have been posting, but their posts can't be seen.

Something about Jerry Jones needing to fire coach K.

;)

• Options

I can't see coinstartled's post either. I can't see DIMEMAN's or coinstartled's posts.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

I can't see coinstartled's post either. I can't see DIMEMAN's or coinstartled's posts.

i received notification via email that those two posted on this thread (and i was able to read what they said)

i'm still searching for more clues

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@doubledragon said:

i received notification via email that those two posted on this thread (and i was able to read what they said)

i'm still searching for more clues

For some reason, I can't see what they posted when I open the thread. This has been happening on the trading card forum lately for some reason. It happened to a few members over there a week or two ago. Weird stuff going on around here lately. Password changes, posts not being seen. A few members are having priblems with double spaces in between sentences. It's weird .

• Options
    arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

i can see.

• Options
    edited November 27, 2019 1:25PM

@artee said:
    i can see.

I can't see what DIMEMAN and coinstartled post for some reason. It's like the same thing that happened with HighGradeLegends.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@artee said:
    i can see.

I can't see what DIMEMAN and coinstartled post for some reason. It's like the same thing that happened with HighGradeLegends.

i will clarify and say that i can't see their contributions here. i was only privy to what they wrote via the email i received (because i'm the OP)

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:

@doubledragon said:

@artee said:
    i can see.

i will clarify and say that i can't see their contributions here. i was only privy to what they wrote via the email i received (because i'm the OP)

contributions from those two? Thats being generous

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

@galaxy27 said:

@doubledragon said:

@artee said:
    i can see.

contributions from those two? Thats being generous

Hey Bronco......watch it now. ;)B)

• Options
    edited November 27, 2019 4:36PM

Still can't see it DIMEMAN. I can see that you're trying to post, but the post isn't showing up. You need to contact the mods and let them know. A forum member named HighGradeLegends had this same problem about 2 weeks ago, and he contacted Todd the moderator and told him. Todd was able to fix the problem. Coinstartled should also contact the mod.

• Options

If you contact Todd, he should be able to fix the problems. Todd's forum name is : AFLfan

If you go to the trading cards and memorbilia section, you'll see a thread called "Card of the day".
    AFLfan created that thread and you can click on his name and leave him a message.

• Options
    edited November 27, 2019 4:58PM

if you've been out of the loop, Hurricane Dorian did a number on the Bahamas a few months ago. the guy who made the game-winning layup is from there. almost everything of value his family owned is gone. his father is a minister there and the church was decimated. a gofundme account was created by the Stephen F. Austin compliance office after the storm, and prior to last night's game there was a little over 2k sitting in it with a 25k goal. there hadn't been a donation in about a month.

after last night's game, money started flowing like a river. people who hate Duke, people who love Duke, people who simply caught wind of things because of the upset............it was rolling in from all angles. i don't get choked up very often, but the comments associated with the donations got me there. and some of them were quite humorous as well. the best i read said,"I lost 500 on this game, but I feel great about this $50." and yes, knucklehead galaxy27 contributed.

the timing of all this could not be more uncanny. i can't imagine another story screaming 'Thanksgiving' louder than this one. if you're feeling altruistic, i've linked the page below. people have given as little as $5. as of this post, there is north of 85 grand in the account.

Happy Thanksgiving, turkeys.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/sfa-athletics-fundraiser-for-nate-bain039s-family

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

perhaps they have been "Ghosted" for some reason.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

if only this didn't involve college basketball I could get onboard

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it March already?

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.