Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Hey Stork can you identify these coins ?

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not very good at these.

The one on the left is upside down. It's a 'Bu' with silver content depending on era made. The dating is based on the positioning of the upside down blossoms on either side (both, one, or neither). Looking at it as oriented the one along the top and second from right is positioned in an inverted fashion vs. the others. So depending on where it is on the other side will determine era and value.

The other three are 'Shu' and I am completely out of my depth on the dating. I can recognize a tell for the Meiji version (pre 'modern' coins), but other than that will need to break out the Hartill book.

Any chance of better photos/both sides? I can make a better stab at it later.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can crop and play with the light, but could not rotate the bu:

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2019 6:42PM

Hey @stork maybe I can help you out with these.

These are Japanese silver bar money/coins. These were used when there were still samurais around.

The smaller ones are One Shu Gin. They look like Kaei version (1846-1867)
    https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces10811.html

As for the larger Bu Gin, it is the Tempo version (1601-1867)
    https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces16403.html

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saved from digging out a book! The inverted sakura is in the 'q' position (and with only my untranslated JDNA that does correspond to the era...no reverse needed after all). Cool!

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2019 7:11AM

@Kliao said:

These are Japanese silver bar money/coins. These were used when there were still samurais around.

I was told these are heavily faked. Is that something you agree with?

• Options

@Insider2 said:

@Kliao said:

Yes many were faked and still are faked today!.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2019 7:59AM

@Kliao said:

@Insider2 said:

@Kliao said:

When you go to a major show and a dozen of these pieces are dumped in containers by size, is there a way to spot a good numismatic fake? I guess it is an "experience thing" - right?

• Options

@Insider2 said:

@Kliao said:

@Insider2 said:

@Kliao said:

When you go to a major show and a dozen of these pieces are dumped in containers by size, is there a way to spot a good numismatic fake? I guess it is an "experience thing" - right?

Part yes. A cool thing about the Shu, is that the long edges are cut diagonally

• Options
    IVBIVB Posts: 248 ✭✭✭

I think, first of all, we need the metrics of the coins, such as weight and dimensions. And, of course, more quality photos. ;)

• Options

I have about twenty bu and shu, the earliest purchased 40 years ago and the most recent 5 years ago. I hope that these are not being counterfeited, and I have not seen them in mini-malls with the other Asian round counterfeits. But despite hope, I would not be surprised.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are the type of item I wouldn't touch without authentication. My first thought on seeing them was that they looked like an item that could be easily faked.

I have no idea if they are real or not.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2019 4:11PM

@291fifth said:
    They are the type of item I wouldn't touch without authentication. My first thought on seeing them was that they looked like an item that could be easily faked.

I have no idea if they are real or not.

The price range for these typically is not high enough to justify TPG slabbing/grading/authentication. Yet they are rather attractive and evocative as reminders of pre-Commodore Perry/ pre-1854 Japan.

I believe that what is shown here by the OP is genuine, but I am not an expert. Just own about twenty pieces.