Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Top 100 Modern Coin Registry Set - Time to revise?

The new low mintage 2019-S ERP silver eagle may be a good excuse to get the "Top 100 Modern Coins" registry set revised.

Drop the 1964-D Peace $1, MS, the
1974 Aluminum Lincoln Cent, MS, and the
2000-W 22kt Gold Sacagawea Dollar, PR which were never really collectable in the first place.

Add the new 2019-S ERP and a couple more. Maybe make a list of several options of what other 2 should be included, and have a poll?

Comments

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

Posted on the US Coin Forum on my thread there...

“If you read the comment under my Top 100 Modern Set, you will see that DH agreed to remove the (3) illegal to own coins from the set (even stating the date when they would be removed), but they never were. Of course, they should be. The Gold or silver curved baseball coin deserves to be included in the set as does this 2019-S silver eagle without question. Other coins need replacing as well - is there even 1 person out there that believes the Margaret Taylor coin still deserves to be included in the Top 100 set! Lol.

Anyway this is OT, but should certainly be addressed in 2020.

Wondercoin”

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wondercoin,
    I moved the Top 100 Set part of that discussion here because David Talk usually monitors this site and he is probably the right person to ultimately get this resolved. I know you tried for several years.

Also, the Margaret Taylor in a PR70 First Strike label is a fairly tough one to find...

• @Goldminers said:
    Wondercoin,
    I moved the Top 100 Set part of that discussion here because David Talk usually monitors this site and he is probably the right person to ultimately get this resolved. I know you tried for several years.

Also, the Margaret Taylor in a PR70 First Strike label is a fairly tough one to find...

Hello @Goldminers and @wondercoin

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, I will put this on our list of Set Registry things to review after the New Year.

Enjoy the rest of your week and the holiday!

David Talk
    PCGS Set Registry Manager
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold miners...

M. Taylor made the cut because at the time it was a Super low mintage spouse coin. I even approved the coin for the set at the time as one of 4 people assigned to the set creation (me, DH, R. Guth and Jaime H). FS is not even a consideration in this particular Registry set.

Since then, a slew of spouse coin blew away M Taylor’s Mintage. Perhaps a couple of those get added and Taylor needs to go in Top 100 Modern Set Round 2. Of course, Top 100 Set Round 1 should not be messed with now. Too many people paid money for the required coins in that set over the past so many years. Simply, a round 2 set should be established now with the proper coins of the day in it.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was sort of kidding on the MT spouse being a Top 100 these days since many new moderns have fewer mintages, but it happens to be the only one in the proof set I never got in FS70, so it was just the first thing I thought of when you mentioned it.

There are several others that I think are questionable, but as you say, it is was it is, other than the 3 always mentioned.

Cheers

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1971-s Ike proof type I is enough for those that are actually paying attention.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

maybe instead of revising, keep as is but every 10 years make a new one limiting it to coins in last X years (40 or 50 years?)