Home Sports Talk
Options

Rob Gronkowski.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is Rob Gronkowski a first ballot Hall of Famer??

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

He's pretty overrated. Didn't play long enough to be an all time great.
    No, not first ballot but maybe down the line.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    Is Rob Gronkowski a first ballot Hall of Famer??

Al H.

I would say yes.

• Options

Darin, that's my thinking. I will say that he had a nice run where he was dominant but it wasn't really that long, maybe 4-5 years. lately I have been thinking of the over-use of the term "Great" in the sporting world. it is handed out rather easily.

• Options
    arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Yes.

But that’s more on the NFL HOF itself.

Not that its possible to compare, but he would be Harold Baines’ish in MLB HOF standards. And I like Gronk.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely. As great of a pass catcher as he was, he was a better blocker. No TE ever was able to put both skill sets together the way Gronk was. Greatest TE ever. Some TE may have played longer, but none ever played the complete game better.

100% hofer

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think he will be, now I’m not saying this only because he was a Patriot I’m saying this because the hype around him was huge, his personality as a big lovable “Gronk” with the Sports Media. The only way I will accept him as being considered “Overated” is because he was prone to injury, but his numbers for the amount of games he played was dominating not to mention is blocking was unmatched.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll take Gronk on my team anyday of the week. He's on Fox NFL Sunday now, and it's impossible not to like the guy. I watch it every week. I think he belongs. He was a nightmare to deal with on the field.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 24, 2019 5:05PM

He will get in first ballot almost certainly. 521 career receptions and nearly 8,000 yards in 115 games played with 80 career TDs (plus 12 in postseason), he was a doiminant force and one of the best TEs ever. The only thing able to stop him was injuries. Definite HOFer.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:
    He will get in first ballot almost certainly. 521 career receptions in 115 games played with 80 career TDs (plus 12 in postseason), he was a doiminant force and one of the best TEs ever. The only thing able to stop him was injuries. Definite HOFer.

And this coming from a Jets fan 😅

• Options

@perkdog said:

@grote15 said:
    He will get in first ballot almost certainly. 521 career receptions in 115 games played with 80 career TDs (plus 12 in postseason), he was a doiminant force and one of the best TEs ever. The only thing able to stop him was injuries. Definite HOFer.

Yes, I have to give props when they are due. :D

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:

@perkdog said:

@grote15 said:

Yes, I have to give props when they are due. :D

Good Man Tim! 👍🍻

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Still not sure his career is over, although the number of public announcements are getting tiresome. May not be 1st ballot, but certainly is in.

• Options

@PatsGuy5000 said:
    Still not sure his career is over, although the number of public announcements are getting tiresome. May not be 1st ballot, but certainly is in.

I don’t think he is coming back, he looks pretty happy with what he is doing. I though He kinda called out Belichick when he was with the Analysts yesterday talking about how they should enjoy the win and not be frustrated by the lack of offense. Maybe I’m wrong but I thought it was a jab

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gronk is just having fun. He's never coming back to play in the NFL, and it's obvious.

Especially with his buddy, Tom Brady on an obvious precipitous decline.

Gronk was smart to retire. Brady however it seems may need to be carried off the field before he retires. That's admirable, but when he's in his fifties one day, swallowing painkiller after painkiller because of taking too many hits, all that money and fame isn't worth very much.

Brady should have retired last season, along with Bronk.

• Options

Brady had a weird game yesterday, he seemed to move well in the pocket to avoid rushers but was erratic from a passing aspect. sometimes he was dead-on accurate and other times badly ineffective. it is a strange thing to see the New England defense carrying the Team while the offense can't get it together, running better than it's passing.

I'm a bottom line guy, and the bottom line here is that they still keep winning.

• Options

@stevek said:
    Gronk is just having fun. He's never coming back to play in the NFL, and it's obvious.

Gronk was smart to retire. Brady however it seems may need to be carried off the field before he retires. That's admirable, but when he's in his fifties one day, swallowing painkiller after painkiller because of taking too many hits, all that money and fame isn't worth very much.

Totally agree, it’s confusing as to why he still wants to play. I get it that he loves the game and there is something to be said about doing what you love but if you watch the games you can see that his face looks annoyed with how the Offense is going, if anything I will be willing to bet that he does not return to NE next season.

• Options
    ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aside from the HOF ....Id also cast him in the new Saturday Night Fever sequel..... he can move on the dance floor.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

Totally agree, it’s confusing as to why he still wants to play. I get it that he loves the game and there is something to be said about doing what you love but if you watch the games you can see that his face looks annoyed with how the Offense is going, if anything I will be willing to bet that he does not return to NE next season.

I'd really hate to see what happened to a number of super star athletes hanging on too long, happen to Brady. I remember as a kid watching Mantle on TV at the end of his career...it was painful to watch. Yes, he could still hit a home run once in a while, but most of the time it was very sad.

• Options

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

I'd really hate to see what happened to a number of super star athletes hanging on too long, happen to Brady. I remember as a kid watching Mantle on TV at the end of his career...it was painful to watch. Yes, he could still hit a home run once in a while, but most of the time it was very sad.

Well Brady isnt out drinking All the time and popping pills either, Mantle didn’t take any care of himself, Brady does. But I get what your saying

• Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

Yes.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

Well Brady isnt out drinking All the time and popping pills either, Mantle didn’t take any care of himself, Brady does. But I get what your saying

Mantle also proudly admitted he was deflating balls...as they busted out windows along 161st.

• Options

@artee said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

Mantle also proudly admitted he was deflating balls...as they busted out windows along 161st.

I want to chuckle at this since I get the deflated ball meme but am lost on the 161st thing 🤷‍♂️

• Options

Is it me or are the quotes vastly different now?

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

@artee said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

Alcohol might have caused some ball deflation for the Mick as well.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

Vastly different for me too.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

I am weirded out by the quotes, someone make them stop. :s

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

It depends who's on the ballot that year and assuming he doesn't make any high profile gaffes as an announcer or on social media between now and then. Impossible to say at this point if he's a first-ballot or has to wait a year or more, but he's making the HOF.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@artee said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

I want to chuckle at this since I get the deflated ball meme but am lost on the 161st thing 🤷‍♂️

Yankee Stadium is located at 161 St in the Bronx.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@perkdog said:

Vastly different for me too.

And they appear, at least for me, in my notifications. Anyone else??

• Options

The quoted text is now much lighter when you post.

• Options

Dont wanna get into the quote thing but...161st in the Bronx.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Without a doubt, he's a first ballot guy. Absolutely dominant as a receiver and an outstanding blocker as well.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

first-ballot, imo. transcended the game. stick a linebacker on him in coverage and you'd see the numbers on the back of his jersey getting smaller and smaller. put a d-back on him and he'd bully you to death.

but the dance floor? not quite as cut and dried.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBPfKnr2KpU

• Options

@artee said:
    Dont wanna get into the quote thing but...161st in the Bronx.

Gotcha

• Options

I dunno why, but suddenly i'm in the mood for spaghetti for dinner.

• Options

@stevek said:

Don’t do it Steve, a bowl of pasta has almost zero nutrients 😊

• Options

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

But organic pasta along with organic pasta sauce isn't all that bad. :)

• Options

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

I really enjoy the Chick Pea pasta. It’s delicious

• Options

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

I really enjoy the Chick Pea pasta. It’s delicious

I just googled it. Looks very interesting. I'll have to try it sometime.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    first-ballot, imo. transcended the game. stick a linebacker on him in coverage and you'd see the numbers on the back of his jersey getting smaller and smaller. put a d-back on him and he'd bully you to death.

but the dance floor? not quite as cut and dried.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBPfKnr2KpU

Wonder if Jack Nicholson approved of this act.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".