Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

A Whale of a Whale!!!!

On cloud 9 to have added this rare Bench rookie to my collection. One of the hardest to find and I have been searching for this card for a long time and finally was able to land it. I always figured if I ever found this card it would be in already cut into a single. I have seen the single card before but have never ever seen the panel. So here it is the 1968 Uniroyal Keds Johnny Bench.

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats. There's no better feeling than landing a white whale.

• Options
    stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh my. That is so gorgeous!

• Options
    jlvette50jlvette50 Posts: 328 ✭✭✭

Dang!! Sweet pick up. Congrats!

Longoria Collector. Love the Longo!https://psacard.com/psasetregistry/baseball/player-sets/evan-longoria-master-set/alltimeset/90851 600+ PSA Graded 4,700+ unique Longoria cards scanned on TCDB 800+ different Longo autograph cards Jeff

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome pick up not familiar with the card but really like the look of it. Is the back blank?

Congrats on the addition.

• Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭

Nice! I'm sure just landing the card as a single would've been awesome. But then... you got the whole panel! I've never seen the card nor the panel, and didn't even know it existed before this thread.

CONGRATS!

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Congrats. There's no better feeling than landing a white whale.

Thanks DD. Appreciate it.

@stevegarveyfan said:
    Oh my. That is so gorgeous!

Thanks. I know you have an appreciation for the very rare cards of individuals players. Love looking at your Garvey additions.

@jlvette50 said:
    Dang!! Sweet pick up. Congrats!

Thanks @jlvette50 for checking it out and commenting.

@brad31 said:
    Awesome pick up not familiar with the card but really like the look of it. Is the back blank?

Congrats on the addition.

It is blank back. Thanks for checking it out.

@CW said:
    Nice! I'm sure just landing the card as a single would've been awesome. But then... you got the whole panel! I've never seen the card nor the panel, and didn't even know it existed before this thread.

CONGRATS!

Thanks @CW for the comments. Here is some more information regarding this set. Check out the link below.

uncatalogedbaseballcards.blogspot.com/2012/11/1968-uniroyal-keds-reds.html

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome pickup and that is a unicorn if I have ever seen one. Congrats on finding it.

KC

• Options
    dad2cl3dad2cl3 Posts: 331 ✭✭✭✭

Very cool for sure! Congratulations!

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

Very cool! Congrats! Big question: Leaving as panel or carefully slicing for high grade single?

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options

@KendallCat said:
    Awesome pickup and that is a unicorn if I have ever seen one. Congrats on finding it.

Thanks KC. I know you are a big fan of JB.

@dad2cl3 said:
    Very cool for sure! Congratulations!

Thanks.

@vintagefun said:
    Very cool! Congrats! Big question: Leaving as panel or carefully slicing for high grade single?

I am going to leave it as a panel for now. Would love to find a single to go with it. Thanks.

• Options
    kingnascarkingnascar Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

That is awesome. Congrats on a stellar pickup :)

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing to see four autographs together that can be read without the help of a translator.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBrules said:

I am going to leave it as a panel for now. Would love to find a single to go with it. Thanks.

You can always cut it up, but never put it back together. Is the panel slabbable?

• Options

@daltex said:

@JBrules said:

You can always cut it up, but never put it back together. Is the panel slabbable?

I am going to try and get it slabbed. PSA has graded singles in the past but recently would not grade a Pete Rose so I am not sure. I will certainly give it a try at some point.

• Options
    Parkerplenty123Parkerplenty123 Posts: 418 ✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on the awesome pickup!

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭

Nice. How big are the individual cards? It's funny when something pops up that you are not familiar with and there is a scan, but no frame of reference. I recently discovered a neat hockey set and figured the cards were maybe a little smaller than standard, but was shocked to learn the individual cards were about the size of a postage stamp!

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options

@mrmopar said:
    Nice. How big are the individual cards? It's funny when something pops up that you are not familiar with and there is a scan, but no frame of reference. I recently discovered a neat hockey set and figured the cards were maybe a little smaller than standard, but was shocked to learn the individual cards were about the size of a postage stamp!

Thanks. Each card is 2.5 inches x 3.25 inches.

• Options
    Air23GOATAir23GOAT Posts: 84 ✭✭✭

Never knew about these. Awesome. Please don't cut that panel into singles. It's beautiful as is.

I'm all about that Jordan stuff. Cards, stickers, posters & whatever else is cool. The rarer the better. And always in a PSA 10 if I can help it.
    Any other big Jordan nuts out there let me know.

• Options
    redlegsredlegs Posts: 912 ✭✭✭✭✭

David, congratulations on the Uniroyal Bench strip. That is quite a find and a definite cornerstone to anyone's Bench collection. Glad that you were able to get it. Phil