Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Translate Chinese(?) for me?

Watch fob found in a collection of 1950s-1960s world coins. Any ideas?

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

"key to the room who will all treasure."
    Modern crap wrote from left to right instead of proper way. Lack of artistic style of traditional writing/ engraving. And it doesn't even make any sense in a Chinese phrase or sentence.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

So it's not going to make me rich, @TurboSnail ? :D

Thanks! I appreciate it. I tried using the translation writing apps for both Chinese and Japanese but couldn't get a single character :(

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2019 4:52PM

@Weiss said:

Thanks! I appreciate it. I tried using the translation writing apps for both Chinese and Japanese but couldn't get a single character :(

房間的鑰匙誰都寶貴的
    To tell the truth, I am not even sure Chinese from mainland able to read those characters on it

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurboSnail said:

@Weiss said:

房間的鑰匙誰都寶貴的
    To tell the truth, I am not even sure Chinese from mainland able to read those characters on it

So it's Taiwan made?

--Severian the Lame
  • Options

@Weiss said:

@TurboSnail said:

@Weiss said:

房間的鑰匙誰都寶貴的

So it's Taiwan made?

I do not know where it was made. But it seems more like a foreigner who used google translate to design and write such words.

• Options
    edited November 22, 2019 5:25PM

Out of all 10 characters , there were 6 that had writing mistakes.
    My first instinct was made in China where they are incapable of writing complex traditional Chinese. But the entire phrase structure was awkward even in speech.

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

I ran that Chinese script through Google Translate, and it was so weird. The translation was understandably weird (because Google Translate often makes weird-sounding translations), so I had the software use speech to me and that was like a bunch of words thrown together that no Chinese would utter.

I showed it to my wife (who is a China-born and raised Chinese person) and she gave me a WTF look.

@Weiss - only mainland Chinese populations use Simplified script. The rest of the Chinese populations (HK, TW, Singapore, and their expat populations) use Traditional script.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurboSnail said:

I do not know where it was made. But it seems more like a foreigner who used google translate to design and write such words.

Someone in the 1960s must have had a time machine to go forward in time and use google translate.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21