Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question on when submitting for a review

VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 22, 2019 11:35AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I posted this on the NET54 boards but I cant get a decent response, just folks who like to ramble and speculate.

Does anyone know when submitting to PSA for a review, do PSA reps look at the cert number prior to actually reviewing the card to see the previous attempts/results?

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

If they checked the cert history prior, no card would bump after multiple attempts at review, which has happened. I've known of several cards that were attempted for review and didn't bump until the third try. Informed speculation?

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a 1969 Reggie Jackson RC bump on the 5th attempt from a PSA-8.5 to a PSA-9.

mint_only_pls
  • Options

@mintonlypls said:
    I had a 1969 Reggie Jackson RC bump on the 5th attempt from a PSA-8.5 to a PSA-9.

Were you the owner who submitted it those 4 times prior as well?

I certainly appreciate the real responses and hearing about your experiences.

I have two cards that I sent. Both are 8.5's. One is your regular 8.5 which I am expecting no bump but the second one looks like a 9 for sure. The reason why I sent both together is I am hoping that they look at the first regular 8.5 and they'll think no way does this deserve a bump but by then looking at the second 8.5 (which should be a 9 imo), it should be a no brainer as both of the 8.5's are not equal. I figure I would pay for both even though I know one doesn't have a chance in hell but it will be a nice score if that second 8.5 bumps. A few thousand actually. I wont say the cards at the moment (and its nothing outrageous either) but I'll post the results here once the reviews are complete.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thunder Dan submitted the card first four times. I just submitted it once. I sold the card but it did not look out of place in a 9-holder,..it was a borderline call obviously between an 8.5 or 9.

mint_only_pls
  • Options

If it was Dans, it must have been top quality!

• Options
    MondeloMondelo Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited November 27, 2019 6:34PM

I’ve been collecting.. buying and selling for 40 years, I’ve submitted well over a thousand cards and sets to PSA. So just to let you guys/gals this isn’t my first rodeo. I just sent in 2 beautiful Jackson Rookies that were in 8 older holders and a Mantle in an 8 holder for review, all 3 were Center side to side top to bottom with beautiful pointed corners, and every inch looked at under a loop. I am also on the registry with many sets. I’ve always invested in high end 8’s and 9’s. All 3 reserved their previous grade.. so needless to say I’m pissed. With all the B.S that’s going on in this hobby.. it pisses me off. I see so many cards in 8/9 holders on eBay and shows, That it makes me shake my head.. even with some of my own submissions I wonder why this is a 9 and why this is an 8 and not a 9..

so should I send them back in? And from what I’m seeing you might eventually get the bump?

Sorry for the long winded post.. but I feel a little bit better now..😉🙂

• Options

Bump

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mondelo said:
    so should I send them back in? And from what I’m seeing you might eventually get the bump?

I would post some high quality scans here and see what opinions you get. It's hard to say without seeing the cards in hand, but you'll at least get some unbiased opinions on whether it's worth another/additional shots or not. It would be nice, especially for cards of this caliber, if PSA provided some indication of why a card didn't bump on review (upper left corner not sharp enough for 9, PD in name area, or something to that effect).

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

@Mondelo said:

I would post some high quality scans here and see what opinions you get. It's hard to say without seeing the cards in hand, but you'll at least get some unbiased opinions on whether it's worth another/additional shots or not. It would be nice, especially for cards of this caliber, if PSA provided some indication of why a card didn't bump on review (upper left corner not sharp enough for 9, PD in name area, or something to that effect).

Thanks for your time, I haven’t received the cards back yet, they may put a post it on the slab pointing to the reason why they didn’t bump.. I’ll post them here when I get them back.. I just can’t understand one of the Jacksons not bumping the Mantle has the infamous print mark on the left bottom front boarder, but I’ve seen 8.5’s and 9’s with this same print mark. It’s dead center with some small chipping on the back.. but as I’ve pointed out .. I’ve seen plenty of 8.5’s/9’s in this exact shape..

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a racket. A card is an 8.5 4 times then all of a sudden is a 9 and worth 2k more.

No potential for funny business here folks.

What a hobby