Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Metal Detectorists Jailed for Stealing Viking Hoard 12 Million Pounds!

giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 22, 2019 7:40AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum
VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.

Comments

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pigs get slaughtered.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

The U.K. has about the fairest system in the whole World for balancing the public interest and the private interest(s) in newly found historic treasure. Woe and poverty to those who won't follow the rules. The jail sentences here may have been too light.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Takes all kinds. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, the UK system is completely fair. it compensates finders monetarily for any discoveries they make while at the same time sharing this discoveries with the public after putting them into proper archaeological context.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

If a significant portion of the treasure is "lost" does that mean they smelted it or hid it? And why the comparatively low sentences? I agree with others here that the Portable Antiquities Scheme is a great idea. I own a 17th century Irish token that was found in a Shropshire field a few years ago that was reported and the seller had to secure an export license to be able to send it to America - because an Irish token in rural Shropshire is a bit of an odd find and details that there must have been some trade route there.

What a shame if in fact significant treasure is lost to history because fools found it and discarded it.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21