Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Dansco Japan Type set for sale on ebay...not exactly what it seems at first glance.

I stalk these auctions and often report them as there are folks looking for them. And, as a policy, don't usually comment on active auctions unless it's a way to bring good attention to one I have no financial interest in (okay, disclaimer done).

BUT, is there anything about this auction that makes you wonder? https://ebay.com/itm/JAPAN-1927-1970-MIXED-DENOMINATIONS-NICE-36-COIN-LOT-IN-A-DANSCO-COIN-ALBUM/312854056153?hash=item48d78e0cd9:g:h4oAAOSwA75d1W8y

It looks to be in great shape, and has a lot of coins which is a nice bonus (even some silver), so initially attractive.

However, it's only the Showa era pages--only 2 out of 5 total. I thought maybe the other pages were empty and not photo'd so emailed the seller to clarify given the appearance of the attachment to the binder of the 'first' page. The seller's rep confirmed it was only the two pages shown.

I ended going back and forth a few times with her (and am probably banned from bidding by now). She seemed to think listing it as an album 'as pictured' is clear. I say, there are three (out of five!) pages missing and the listing is NOT clear about this at all. A buyer will be VERY disappointed with this if they aren't aware...and it would be easy to overbid. I consider it misleading. She apparently does not.

If anyone is looking to bid on one of these, be aware...

Dansco Japan Type set for sale on ebay...not exactly what it seems at first glance.

Sign in to vote!
This is a private poll: no-one will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

No description provided, so the photos prevail, as the seller intended. Seems clear to me.

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

Centsles hasn'tt exactly become known for business ethics and integrity over the years.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭

If you go to Amazon, the "Look inside!" feature shows you, what? seven pages? Does that mean we should only expect those seven pages when we buy a book?

A book represents all the contents of the title. Any alterations or omissions from the standard offering should be noted.

Another book metaphor - if someone sells you a book with only a few nice pictures as in Stork's example, but there is water damage, writing, torn pages, whatever in parts of the book that weren't pictured... well, that's misleading.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:
    No description provided, so the photos prevail, as the seller intended. Seems clear to me.

As a general rule that is what I would expect, but @spoon articulated what was bothering me. This is an album and though the listing is technically correct/shows pictures, it seemed disingenuous that the missing pages were not pointed out. Plus not every seller necessarily will upload a photo of every single page.

I guess I should vote 'caveat emptor' even though I feel 'right' --because don't we all like to feel right ;):):D.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buyer beware because there is no indication that this group of coins is part of a larger grouping. Also the album pages are not numbered leading to or from additional pages. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    MrBreezeMrBreeze Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2019 7:29AM

$177.50...Not a terrible price but a little high in my opinion.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it was a whole album with all the coins including silver I could see it over $1000. These pages still including the silver, seems a bit rich...the 50 sen does not look to be the scarce date and condition is hard to parse out for all of them. The base metals look all over condition-wise, though it's always a treat to get the tin coins in nice shape.

Shoot, a complete album, with these pages as filled would probably do $400-$500. A partial album, it does seem a bit high. I guess most were not fooled, but I think there will be some disappointment. Seller is risking a neg. Maybe not a SNAD, but a neg.