Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Order in "Assembly" status... scans added 1952 Mantle & Mays

1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 22, 2019 10:32AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Any ideas on how long to go thru remaining steps?....grades in...see last post.

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Typically about a week, but I've seen much longer and shorter timeframes.

• Options
    firedawg45firedawg45 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭

i went from research to assembly,skipping grading which you get a review, weird. I check a few times a day.

# 2 Pete Rose Master Set , also
    collecting 1977 topps baseball in psa 9 and psa 10
  • Options

I've been in assembly over two weeks.

• Options

Wow..hope mine aren't in assembly that long. Sent in on express 8-day svc. and been there since 11/11

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2019 4:09AM

Plan on it being longer than you think that way if it’s not your pleasantly suprised, I had an order sit in “Received” status for two weeks before and the last order I sent in was “received” for less than 24 hours and it was logged 🤷‍♂️

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2019 6:20AM

The duration of the Assembly stage is relative to whether or not you provide any label correction edits during the grading review stage. If you do, it can add a fair amount of time. One of my orders has been in Assembly for about four weeks or more. The time taken there will be well worth the extended wait if the result is that they actually do make all the edits such that it is not necessary to subsequently ship the items back for mech error correction (which would otherwise be a longer process).

• Options

I didnt even get a review grading stage, jumped right to assembly in 1 day. Hope they got it all correct.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@firedawg45 said:
    I didnt even get a review grading stage, jumped right to assembly in 1 day. Hope they got it all correct.

You should still be able to review the labeling in Assembly, I've reported flip errors as late as the QA1 stage.

• Options

Its not there to review, no icon or listing is there like my others orders, which tell you ready to review. Must be a clitch in the system.

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2019 6:41PM

Hopefully your are happy with those grades. Two great cards. Make sure to post picts. when you get them in hand.

• Options
    jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭

Honesty warning- you asked so here goes :s

How that Mantle obtained a 5 is beyond me. Looks poorly "cleaned" up with damages no less. I'd say more but would give away knowledge I don't care to share. Not a card I'd own and selling it I'd sell with an "as is" warning. Enough said that's a card I don't want anywhere near my collection too many screaming issues with it.

Mays looks nice for the grade. Large stain of course is obvious, rounded corners and additional staining on front and back evident. Good pic clarity although not the strongest I've seen. Appropriate toning for its age. The Mays is a keeper = the Mantle is a "sell" and find another one with less obvious issues.

My "opinion" of course-
    jeff

• Options
    edited November 22, 2019 2:13PM

Don't mind the honesty, just not sure you are correct. I recently bought this set, minus a few cards from an older gentleman that shuffles vehicles between several of our dealerships. He is 79 years old and collected the set as a kid and they have been in a box since the 60's. He wasn't even in the market for selling them but I question all mechanics/drivers when hired if they, or their fathers, have sportscard collections! :) He told me a couple years ago he had these cards but his wife didn't want him to sell. He contacted me about a month ago and said he was ready to sell them. He knew very little about the value of the cards....I actually posted on these boards about a month ago about what a fair price would be to offer him. I did get these scans from the PSA site, as they were graded under the Express level and PSA scans them....the scans were very dark and I saved to my PC and used "auto adjust" so they weren't so dark...maybe that is why it appears "cleaned"??

Here is the scan from PSA website:

• Options
    jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭

I've highlighted the area of concern on the back. Pass what judgment one considers appropriate for their own situation. Use that large scan and when its in hand look using a 10x loupe at that area- come back and tell me what you personally see.

What I see from those scans are an item that looks like something "might" have sat on it, damaged the upper paper level, causing loss of tone on the right edge along with whispers of paper loss, and the sides are jagged ( look at the Mays = same side = see how the Mays is smoother ?) . The toning changes in that right hand area highlighted and I personally don't like when sides look smooth everywhere else and all of sudden one side is jagged. The Mays looks perfectly like what I'd expect to see. The Mantle not so much. Whether the old man was the source or not is irrelevant. Somewhere in the history of that item its seen something that affected its surface/sides. Still a nice card its just when shelling out money that Mantles command its likely someones going to want full disclosure of what others see.

Ask people you trust to look at it. I don't expect any 3rd party grader who spends less than a minute grading cards and looking under a loupe to catch what others can spend hours looking at and noticing small issues.

Again "personal opinion" expressed here so please don't think I'm downgrading said item its just an OCD world where Mantles are concerned. In my own personal card collecting world doesn't pass my own personal "smell" test. I'd want one that doesn't have those jagged edges.

Jeff