Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The "Major" CAC News is out...

jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are making their CAC price guide available for free online.

Kind of ho-hum news, I think.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh... Is this a big deal?(not being difficult, I actually don't know) Is it going to have bid/ask on it?

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2019 4:38PM

He's pricing his beans about where the + is.
    Not really a big deal.

https://www.caccoin.com/pop-report/

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

If CAC beans make a difference in pricing and the basis for the pricing is accurate, then this is useful information.

What is, is.

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2019 4:39PM

Per the CAC website:

"The CAC price guide should be viewed as a tool to assist the numismatic coin buying consumer in evaluating the purchase and sale of US coins. The data contained within the CAC price guide is provided to CAC by an independent third party source. CAC cannot be deemed responsible for any errors and/or omissions related to the data and does not guarantee its accuracy. CAC and its principals do not represent or warrant that the utilization of the data will result in a profit.

CAC recommends that any purchaser or seller of numismatic coins listed upon the CAC guide consult a coin expert for advice with regard to the numismatic coin market"

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2019 4:45PM

Just another piece of information for “ technically” all there coins and establishing price discovery. Of course for premium aesthetic pieces with stickers it’s not that helpful.

I think for vintage gold and Saints it will be very useful.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    They are making their CAC price guide available for free online.

Kind of ho-hum news, I think.

How is this big news as promised (by others not you)? On the other hand, if they are finally publishing their bid/buy levels for free online, I would certainly support that. In any event, I appreciate the effort. I look forward to perusing to see how accurate I think it is.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yawn.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not what I expected, but useful, and an appreciated function.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options

The website says it was compiled by an independent source. I like that, but I wish the source was disclosed (i.e. some confirmation that it is not a certain dealer or two's wish list of what they wish they could sell coins for). One thing I do like is that the population data is included above the price. I wish the PCGS/NGC price guides would do that too. It can also give you a better idea of the stability and true rarity of an issue for lower pop items when determining how reasonable the price is.

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

I think this is spot on. It will be useful for generics and little more not unlike any other price guide.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was expecting a life changing event that would have me see the light.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

@Justacommeman said:

I think this is spot on. It will be useful for generics and little more not unlike any other price guide.

The price difference in most gold series is dramatic when it comes to CAC non CAC.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    earlyAurumearlyAurum Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is useful information. I will bet many of us are looking at our collections and reconciling prices. Not me of course.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be interesting to see how The Barber Halves are priced since every other guide is ludicrously low! Lately this is probably due to dipped white F-XF coins that used to not be gradable problem free.

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

Boy have I been out of this to long. When did CAC come into existence? When I had my collection stolen I kinda lost all interest in coins.

Ken
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2019 6:28PM

@bearcave said:
    Boy have I been out of this to long. When did CAC come into existence? When I had my collection stolen I kinda lost all interest in coins.

Welcome back!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool - bookmarked on my phone

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you guys! Its good to be back.

Ken
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent, look forward to using it starting at FUN!

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good for them! I like free.

• Options

@thebigeng said:
    Good for them! I like free.

True, but it's one more reason to cancel my CDN membership.

• Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me the more info the better...I like having the CAC pop and price in one place...awesome!!

• Options

I’m waiting for another group to start grading the placement of the CAC egg.

• Options

@bearcave said:

2007 ish. It really took off in 2009-2010 IIRC.

• Options
    edited November 19, 2019 8:42PM

Having had more time to peruse some of it, I will say that for the pieces I looked at so far it was very accurate as a retail guide and not as skewed as the other price guides. I also appreciate how it lists no prices for coins that trade infrequently especially where the pricing data is all over. There is less extrapolation and no winging it in other words. I think the compilers have done a very good job. Of course no price guide will ever be 100% accurate, but I think it will be a useful resource that will gain currency in the hobby.

• Options
    FishproFishpro Posts: 381 ✭✭✭

I just pair for a year last week.. now it’s free.

• Options
    santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’ll be helpful, for sure.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I finally took a peak. Just a spot check. Anyone want to point me to where I can buy an 1897-O Barber Half in AU58 CAC for $1750?

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was thinking of subscribing.
    😀

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2019 6:15AM

@ChrisH821 said:
    Is it going to have bid/ask on it?

That's my thought. I'm more interested in what JA would pay sight unseen (no pun intended since he's already seen them).

• Options
    drddmdrddm Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

I took a look at the prices for Capped Bust Halves, since I collect them, and I wonder if they are prices that JA would consider paying. The majority of the prices seem on the low side, and some on the very low side.

I wish I could find a Bearded Goddess in PCGS AU55 CAC for $24,200
    IMO, even double that amount is too low for this coin in that grade.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

Meh. A price guide is a price guide. Sellers will use it when advantageous to do so, in order justify to marking up prices on coins that have beans or that they assert are better than those that have beans. Buyers will refer to it to see how much a "standard non-CAC discount" should be. With the relatively easy availability of actual sale records, these guides tend to become less and less useful.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2019 6:47AM

@drddm said:
    I took a look at the prices for Capped Bust Halves, since I collect them, and I wonder if they are prices that JA would consider paying. The majority of the prices seem on the low side, and some on the very low side.

Yes some of the large size bust quarter prices are too low. Try to find a nice CACed one for these prices. The small size bust quarters prices seem about right. I think the biggest issue is that for the large size ones that trade infrequently, there are rare die varieties that will amp the price, and color goes big over gray ones. So one has to take this price guide as one would for any - a starting place for CACed coins. Still happy it is out tho'.

Example, this one below. CAC price guide says $2,500 at 45/CAC. Not a chance you could buy it for that low a price as looking like this in this grade is very hard to find. Problem is, dealers might use this new pricing to justify low offers on such nice coins. So one has to still do their research before selling and not take the new guide as absolute.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

@messydesk said:
    Meh. A price guide is a price guide. Sellers will use it when advantageous to do so, in order justify to marking up prices on coins that have beans or that they assert are better than those that have beans. Buyers will refer to it to see how much a "standard non-CAC discount" should be. With the relatively easy availability of actual sale records, these guides tend to become less and less useful.

actual sale records are complicated for widgets. You end up with lots of transactions that don't go through major auction houses that have records. You have broad ranges of prices making it hard to get a real price. "Easy availabiilty of actual sale records" can be a liability. I can't tell you how many times I've had someone trying to sell me a coin or medal who found a non-comp comp on eBay to determine price. They also have a tendency to pick the highest price rather than the "average" price.

• Options

@drddm said:

The retail price guide is for sales not purchases. CAC bids are in greysheet.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@messydesk said:

actual sale records are complicated for widgets. You end up with lots of transactions that don't go through major auction houses that have records. You have broad ranges of prices making it hard to get a real price. "Easy availabiilty of actual sale records" can be a liability. I can't tell you how many times I've had someone trying to sell me a coin or medal who found a non-comp comp on eBay to determine price. They also have a tendency to pick the highest price rather than the "average" price.

Nevertheless, a price guide is an abstraction of actual sale records without the transparency, where you've left it up to someone else to come up with a "real price." If someone is going to cherrypick prices out of a list of recent sales without regard to what they're selling or buying, they're just as likely to abuse a guide. Either strategy will put a damper on their being able to complete a transaction. The main advantage a price guide offers is speed, but I prefer to be informed by actual sales when the data is present and makes sense.

• Options

@lusterlover said:

@ChrisH821 said:
    Is it going to have bid/ask on it?

That's my thought. I'm more interested in what JA would pay sight unseen (no pun intended since he's already seen them).

JA is NOT the market maker in all CAC items. If you want to see real CAC bids, join CDN Exchange where they are posted. Or you can subscribe to greysheet where they are already posted. But those are NOT all JA bids. He's not the high bidder on all CAC coins. I'm the high bidder on some commems, for example.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

that wont be going on speed dial anytime soon pffft

• Options
    GoBustGoBust Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect the guide will improve over time knowing how sharp the CAC team is. Bust halves especially tough redbook condition census coins continue to go sky high. 1807 bearded Goddess i sold last November was 60k. So adjustments will be appropriate. I think its a great initial start nonetheless.

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a good thing. For whatever reason, collectors really like price guides, and the reputable ones (CDN) support the market and create collector confidence. The market has bifurcated over the last 10-20 years, and with CAC formalizing a clear distinction w/respect to originality and eye appeal, it's time for a price guide that captures what everyone knows has already happened. You couldn't have done this five years ago, but with the increasing CAC population it makes a lot of sense.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file