Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Finally took the plunge

Might as well keep the collectibles "safe" :) . 650lbs was not fun moving around but well worth it.

Comments

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

I have always wanted to do that, but the collection has outgrown the room I would have in a large safe. I could select the very best of the best, I suppose, but there are low dollar items that are hard to replace that I would feel get an equal shot at a spot in the safe. What does something like that cost?

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Nice safe, I have a much smaller one with room for only high end stuff

• Options
    TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

@mrmopar said:
    I have always wanted to do that, but the collection has outgrown the room I would have in a large safe. I could select the very best of the best, I suppose, but there are low dollar items that are hard to replace that I would feel get an equal shot at a spot in the safe. What does something like that cost?

You can find sizes and prices on gunsafesnow.com. After a few adjustments in the closet where I removed the baseboards I have about 1/8 of an inch clearance from the door and safe handle. Perfect fit.

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Make sure you get that Boggle game in the safe!!

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2019 7:52PM

Nice safe! I keep my cards in mine as well, it’s mostly filled with guns though 👍👍

• Options
    TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    Make sure you get that Boggle game in the safe!!

Man I've been storing cards in that thing since I can remember. Doubt that I will ever part with it.

• Options

My son’s on active duty (USMC) so I’ve been using his gun safe for my cards. Lol.

• Options

What does a safe like that cost? Do they deliver? Install?

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Butkusfan said:

I would suggest doing some research before diving in. There is a lot that goes into deciding on a safe, what size you would like, fire rating, electronic lock, number of bolts, internal/external hinges, etc. The average house fore burns at 1100 degrees farenheit and lasts for 20 minutes. While your safe may be rated higher than that, objects can char below what it is listed at. The bigger concern is theft and the number of bolts and type of hinges is crucial. The higher the number of bolts the better and if it has electronic bolts on the side closest to the hinge that is also a plus as many are made with stationary bolts. Anchoring the safe is also important as well as hiding it from plain sight. I have heard stories of people building false fronts to disguise that a safe is behind. Now is a good time of year to find a safe as it is a popular Christmas item and there are good deals to be found. That being said, I have a 36 gun capacity liberty safe with a 75 minute fire rating, internal hinges and electronic bolts on both sides and love it. I still keep my most valuable cards in a safe deposit box though!

• Options
    agragr Posts: 56 ✭✭✭

Agree with caveats on safes. But safety deposit boxes are subject to flooding. I know from experience. Also fire followed by water putting out a fire. And In power outages vaults get hot. Also the contents are not insured unless you insure them . Bank does not know what is in them.

Neither is completely without risk

• Options

@agr said:
    Agree with caveats on safes. But safety deposit boxes are subject to flooding. I know from experience. Also fire followed by water putting out a fire. And In power outages vaults get hot. Also the contents are not insured unless you insure them . Bank does not know what is in them.

Neither is completely without risk

Good info. I have a buddy with a complete raw 1951 Bowman set in a safety deposit box. Will pass along. Thanks. Also, he is looking to sell if anyone is interested. I have nothing to gain by mentioning. Just thought o would share given the audience.

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@maddux69 said:

@Butkusfan said:

I would suggest doing some research before diving in. There is a lot that goes into deciding on a safe, what size you would like, fire rating, electronic lock, number of bolts, internal/external hinges, etc. The average house fore burns at 1100 degrees farenheit and lasts for 20 minutes. While your safe may be rated higher than that, objects can char below what it is listed at. The bigger concern is theft and the number of bolts and type of hinges is crucial. The higher the number of bolts the better and if it has electronic bolts on the side closest to the hinge that is also a plus as many are made with stationary bolts. Anchoring the safe is also important as well as hiding it from plain sight. I have heard stories of people building false fronts to disguise that a safe is behind. Now is a good time of year to find a safe as it is a popular Christmas item and there are good deals to be found. That being said, I have a 36 gun capacity liberty safe with a 75 minute fire rating, internal hinges and electronic bolts on both sides and love it. I still keep my most valuable cards in a safe deposit box though!

Yikes I don’t want to live in your hood

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

Very nice safe. A little bit of extra peace of mind is never a bad thing. I use ADT to monitor the house as well.

• Options

I have a couple of big gun safes myself. I have mine in my dry basement. They are much easier to move around it you first remove the door. 1/3 of the weight is in the door. I also have a camera system with an app that allows me to monitor what is going on at home when I am away right from my phone. Gives me live video and also alerts when there is movement. The camera system will also detect heat signatures so if the temp rises suddenly I will get an alert that there may be a fire. Worth the money.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a state of the art safe with all the latest security features but unfortunately it was compromised.
    And this is how. So enjoy your spoils Tom Cruise, but I'm telling you those 500 1987 topps Kal Daniels
    rookie cards are worthless! So jokes on you!
    And also I apologize for this post but I'm been looking at way too many doubledragon posts.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

While I would want a safe I know that I would quickly fill it and then want another and another and yet another. Collecting sports cards is more of a sickness than a hobby :D