Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS says this coin doesn't exist!

ChristopherCoinsChristopherCoins Posts: 26 ✭✭
edited November 16, 2019 5:58PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I purchased this at auction recently. When I went to register it PCGS says it isn't a valid cert #. Has this happened to anyone else? CAC confirms the coin on their site.

thechristophercollection.net

Comments

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's probably a glitch. Call PCGS customer service.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

It happens sometimes with the OGH.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

And newer slabs!

@golden said:

• Options
    KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collect rattlers and keep a registry, so I've encountered this before. It is a pretty common occurrence with rattlers starting with 501XXX and 502XXX.
    I once called PCGS about how to correct this and they told me to send the coin back to them for reholder and a new cert number. Unacceptable!
    A PR67 1962 dime in a modern PCGS holder has a price guide value of about $15, but it is a scarce as hen's teeth in a rattler and I payed a hefty premium for it. There is no way that I'm going to let this get cracked out.

I just bought another in a modern holder to hold its place in my registry set, but uploaded a picture of the rattler.

I talked to another rattler collector a while back who was successful at getting a few "lost" 501XXX & 502XXX restored in their database, but it took the personal intervention of David Hall and David Rosenburg.

SPQR (Society for the Preservation of Quality Rattlers)!

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, they say the coin exists...it's the slab they are denying!

• Options

@KindaNewish said:
    I collect rattlers and keep a registry, so I've encountered this before. It is a pretty common occurrence with rattlers starting with 501XXX and 502XXX.
    I once called PCGS about how to correct this and they told me to send the coin back to them for reholder and a new cert number. Unacceptable!
    A PR67 1962 dime in a modern PCGS holder has a price guide value of about $15, but it is a scarce as hen's teeth in a rattler and I payed a hefty premium for it. There is no way that I'm going to let this get cracked out.

I just bought another in a modern holder to hold its place in my registry set, but uploaded a picture of the rattler.

I talked to another rattler collector a while back who was successful at getting a few "lost" 501XXX & 502XXX restored in their database, but it took the personal intervention of David Hall and David Rosenburg.

SPQR (Society for the Preservation of Quality Rattlers)!

Thanks @KindaNewish, this is good information. I am a big OGH fan. It should be a simple thing to enter a cert into a database and I won't let them reholder the coin. I did contact them when this came up but have not had a resolution yet.

• Options
    TequilaDaveTequilaDave Posts: 271 ✭✭✭

Beautiful coin!

• Options
    toyz4geotoyz4geo Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have the same problem with one of my Rattlers. Sent pics to customer service but nothing happened.

• Options
    Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have one that has invalid cert #.
    And I DON'T want them to fix it.
    Kinda early number though 1080221
    B)

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Isn't this a message that you might get if someone already has this coin in the registry and hasn't taken it out?

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

When a former owner hasn't removed a coin from his inventory the PCGS message is "This coin is in the inventory of another collector" or something close to that. And then a prompt is presented to send an automated email to the unnamed owner asking him to remove it.

OP's message happens when a cert number is not in the current database.
    Lance.

• Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 897 ✭✭✭✭

I have a rattler label is it worth anything ?

• Options
    KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fiftysevener said:

Wow, and ouch!
    57er traded a super rare rattler for one grade up in an NGC holder.

One grade up, but minus 90% of its value.
    Everyone else, please don't make the same mistake.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fiftysevener said:

fifty cents I believe. mail it in for about a 20c profit. :)

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:
    It's probably a glitch in the matrix....

Fixed it for you.

;)

• Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭

This one doesn't exist either.

On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of interesting stuff .

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChristopherCoins

You'll have to send it to me for further examination... :#

• Options

It seems that it would be easy for PCGS to add the number, they have set the precedent by doing this for others so they can no longer claim that it must be sent in.

Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options
    cbtazmancbtazman Posts: 47 ✭✭✭

As an avid collector of First Generation (Rattler) coins and as an author on the early of days of grading, we encountered this issue a few times when attempting to set up our 30th Anniversary Date Set of Morgan Dollars – Rhumba Shake Rattle & Roll on the PGS Registry Site. We needed to be able to add all of the coins we found to get an accurate PCGS weighted grade for our book. We did have an issue with one or two that had the cert range of 50XXXX so I can back up the info provided by @KindaNewish – And I am happy to report that my experience with the PCGS Customer Service Team to correct them all was actually very smooth – they just had me send them an image of the Obverse and Reverse of the coin in the holder and a day or two later had the issue resolved – Here are images of the last two coins they fixed for us and a link to all 28 coins that made it into the registry - https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/dollars/morgan-dollars-major-sets/morgan-dollars-date-set-circulation-strikes-1878-1921/publishedset/136406

cbtazman@americantreasure.biz – www.americantreasure.biz

Join The Hunt and Spread the word!
    Real American Treasure
    cbtazman@realamericantreasure.com
  • Options
    Alltheabove76Alltheabove76 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

@golden said:

Thats a rattler. Not OGH

• Options
    edited February 25, 2020 10:49AM

@cbtazman
    You have done what I am trying to due, I'm sure it will take some time to get my registry populated with Rattlers.

I have to ask how long ago Customer service did this for you, the woman that answer the phone last week said sending it in was the only option.

I'm sure if it were a $200,000 coin they would be more helpful than they are for a $50 coin.

I wonder if the hard feelings towards them for positions like this cost them more than they know. Where is the Public Relations personnel?

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of forum members have coins that don't exist.

The guy with the 1969S DD cent, the 1958D DD cent, and the 1909VDB matte proof cent come to mind,. ;)

• Options
    cbtazmancbtazman Posts: 47 ✭✭✭

@Texast Sorry to hear your experience was not the same as mine and congrats on your quest. I will add this discussion to my next conversation to aid in couple of requests meant to encourage and honor the earliest days of grading. I will also look up the last couple of folks I worked with to have my rattlers reinstated into the population registry...... If any more of you have had this experience please post your stories here so we can all see and reference them. Thanks
    cbtazman@americantreasure.biz

Join The Hunt and Spread the word!
    Real American Treasure
    cbtazman@realamericantreasure.com
  • Options

@cbtazman Thanks. PM sent

• Options

@ChristopherCoins I have forwarded your contact information to one of our team members who will be reaching out to assist you.

Heather Boyd
    PCGS Senior Director of Marketing

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file