Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

***Warning:modern card question*** Game used vs. player worn patches

Is anyone else disappointed by the use of “player worn” patches on newer cards, especially for veteran players? I think player-worn cheapens that aspect of the card. They could have someone wearing a bed sheet size jersey with 100 Nike swooshes on it and make cards forever.

I always thought the game used patch added to cards was really neat. Now it stinks that’s you have to check if it’s game worn or not.

Comments

• Options

Yes, it’s definitely cheapening something that used to be cool.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm just waiting for a meal used napkin card. That would be wild!

• Options
    1957Braves1957Braves Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

Not that I’m keeping track of every card, but it didn’t seem that game used carry a premium to player worn. I’ve seen some 16 or more player auto/patch booklets, but they aren’t very appealing if the patches are just player worn.

I wonder if game used jerseys, again mainly for vintage players, are becoming too scarce and expensive to be purchased and cut up for cards.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do collect jersey cards and my collection at this point is almost all game used. I’ve purged almost all of the player worn crap.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    1957Braves1957Braves Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

But what if it was just on the table, and not used to buffalo wing sauce or whatever off their face?

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1957Braves said:

@doubledragon said:

But what if it was just on the table, and not used to buffalo wing sauce or whatever off their face?

No dice. It better have a mustard stain or something. ;)