Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Why did this card go for so much more than it typically does?

Comments

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

I take it back centering is meaningless? Temporary insanity perhaps, $500 for a team checklist in a 1980 Topps set?

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭

I considered bidding on it, but then the centering on the back put me off. I must have missed something. Maybe this is a scarce variety? I haven't figured it out.

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

Makes no sense when looks like auctions a year ago were around $25 and 4SC has a 10 for $140. Has to be something fishy.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-TOPPS-TEAM-CHECKLIST-H-C-302-DODGERS-W-S-GARVEY-POP-2-PSA-10-B2450845-438/382051667639?hash=item58f40dceb7:g:n0cAAOSwXq5dsMLh

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like the standard card to me. There is a version that comes from a mail-in sheet, but the backs were white card stock and thinner.

I don't do graded cards unless they come that way at my price, but you never know on ebay.

I still vividly remember listing some 1994 Cardtoons cards back in the early ebay days. Seems they were not all that easy to find at first. I had two bidders fighting each other for the Ernie Banks card. It ended for around $25! I figured I would not be paid, but was happy when the winning bidder paid up. I then offered the underbidder one at the same price, as I had multiples and that person actually accepted and paid too! Probably the fondest selling memory I have from ebay. $50 for a couple of cards I figured were worth a quarter each at most.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Maybe a couple of Astros were bidding on it?

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

Mattress Mack bidding?

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe it was one of those bizarre auctions?

• Options
    ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

With PWCC ... you get fantastically large sums for cards worth much less........very often.