Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1977 Topps Wax - Bobby Jones?

Any insight as to why Bobby Jones from the Angels was chosen as the advertised player on boxes and wrappers?

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who knows.

• Options
    arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Why do we drive on parkways but park on driveways?

• Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭

It's hard to say why he was chosen for the box top, other than maybe it was a nice, simple baseball photo that just fit the box. I actually never realized it was Bob Jones, so nice catch, OP.

I am not so sure that is his image on the wrapper, though. It just seems like a generic baseball player taking a swing.

Also, if April showers bring May flowers, what do Mayflowers bring?

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never knew who it was. Thanks for sharing that tidbit.

• Options
    RyansRustRyansRust Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

@CW said:
    It's hard to say why he was chosen for the box top, other than maybe it was a nice, simple baseball photo that just fit the box. I actually never realized it was Bob Jones, so nice catch, OP.

I am not so sure that is his image on the wrapper, though. It just seems like a generic baseball player taking a swing.

Junebugs.

• Options
    arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭
    edited November 15, 2019 10:03AM

@CW said:

Pilgrims.

• Options

:) Junebugs is a good guess, and makes perfect sense, but Artee got it -- pilgrims.

• Options

@ArtVandelay said:
    According to Wiki, Bobby Jones was one of the few MLB players to serve in Vietnam and he earned a bronze star. Perhaps that played a part.

With that said, 1977 Topps Baseball is definitely a personal favorite. It's a very condition sensitive set as it tends to suffer from horrible centering and chipping. But, when you find those cards in pristine condition, they always look fantastic.

Agree wholeheartedly! Great set with fantastic photography. Here's a couple from the collection.