Home Sports Talk

Usain Bolt

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this has been discussed already, but back in October TMZ asked Usain Bolt if he would entertain the idea of playing in the NFL. He said " If the Patriots, or Aaron Rodgers called, I'm ready". His favorite team is reportedly the Green Bay Packers, but I guess he realizes Tom Brady is the GOAT. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing what he can do on a football field. Wouldn't that be something, Belichick, Brady, and Bolt.

Comments

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

He would be an absolute and complete flop for numerous reasons.

It couldn't be an easier call.

I hope Jerry Jones signs him. ;)

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

What obvious reasons?

Bob Hayes did well, Renaldo Nehemiah not so much.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,360 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d absolutely take a flyer on him as a project WR

Ever hear of Troy Williamson? Vikings wasted a 1st round pick (7th overall) on him knowing he couldn't catch the ball.

I would at least bring Bolt in for a tryout and see if he had any football skills.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

yup. it would be an unmitigated disaster. i love me some Usain, but he would quickly find out that straight-line speed alone doesn't equate to greatness as a wide receiver. the GOAT Rice ran a 4.5. Michael Thomas is arguably the best in the business today and i guarantee he doesn't run sub-4.5 either. Quickness (not speed)......precise route running....hands.......having the innate ability to dodge a kill shot.......it is an all-encompassing position.

and besides, the dude is 33 now. by the time the next season rolls around he'll be 34. think he'll still be running a 4.05 forty? not a chance. hell, i doubt he'd be able to beat Tyreek Hill in a foot race.

then what would you have?

perhaps give him a shot as a kick returner and see what he can do going (primarily) north and south. but anything other than that and he's just asking for his impeccable legacy to be tarnished.

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Instead of Bolt, I would prefer to see Le Bron James try out for a roster spot on an NFL team as a receiver or tight end. That would be interesting to watch.

@JoeBanzai said:
    What obvious reasons?

Bob Hayes did well, Renaldo Nehemiah not so much.

Bolt is 33 years old and likely never played football, plus he's rich.

The first time some killer safety gives Bolt a shot after he catches a pass, if he even catches the pass, he will quit. What the yell does he need that for?

Besides, Bolt was always a bit slow getting away from the starting block. We're not talking 100 or 200 meter dashes here across a finish line, we're talking football speed which requires reacting fast off the line of scrimmage with defenders getting in your way.

i could go on and on. It's a ludicrous idea doomed to failure, a waste of everyone's time. But who knows, for the fun of it some NFL coach might invite Bolt to training camp as cannon fodder entertainment and simply let him go in the first cut.

@galaxy27 said:

@stevek said:

yup. it would be an unmitigated disaster. i love me some Usain, but he would quickly find out that straight-line speed alone doesn't equate to greatness as a wide receiver. the GOAT Rice ran a 4.5. Michael Thomas is arguably the best in the business today and i guarantee he doesn't run sub-4.5 either. Quickness (not speed)......precise route running....hands.......having the innate ability to dodge a kill shot.......it is an all-encompassing position.

and besides, the dude is 33 now. by the time the next season rolls around he'll be 34. think he'll still be running a 4.05 forty? not a chance. hell, i doubt he'd be able to beat Tyreek Hill in a foot race.

then what would you have?

perhaps give him a shot as a kick returner and see what he can do going (primarily) north and south. but anything other than that and he's just asking for his impeccable legacy to be tarnished.

I didn't read your post until after i responded to Joe.

Damn, i hate that when somebody beats me to the idea, and i mean the whole damn idea! ;)

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it might work out if he could learn to take the hits, and catch the ball. Heck, just look at Alabama, they recruited Forrest Gump because he was fast and that worked out just fine. Anyway, it would be entertaining to say the least.

@doubledragon said:
    I think it might work out if he could learn to take the hits, and catch the ball. Heck, just look at Alabama, they recruited Forrest Gump because he was fast and that worked out just fine. Anyway, it would be entertaining to say the least.

YEAH and Forrest "was not a smart man"!!!!!!!!

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pats would be a good fit as the softer footballs would be easier on the unaccustomed receiving hands.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,360 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Pats would be a good fit as the softer footballs would be easier on the unaccustomed receiving hands.

🙄

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bolt is technically the "fastest man". And it is true that in the NFL speed plays a huge role. But we often see how "football speed" beats straight line speed.

Bolt is interesting. I do not like his "illuminati" hand signs. ( Look them up). If anyone wants to laugh at this comment, it is a discussion for another thread (which will probably be closed :D ).

I am fascinated that he became the fastest man with a running motion that looks like that. Can someone more educated on this than me comment on his style. To my untrained eye, as I watch him vs others, he looks to be running in a way that coaches would have tried to remove. Of course we see this not infrequently in batting stances, shooting motions, and throwing motions.