Home U.S. Coin Forum

1814 50C O.107a Rarity? Confirmed R5. Found one!

FHCFHC Posts: 323 ✭✭✭
edited November 18, 2019 4:56PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I was 99% convinced I had found one this past week. Yesterday, I went to my local coin show and talk with a fellow bust half enthusiast, who confirmed I was correct. 

The latest Overton book which I have lists this variety as an R2. Whereas online I have found the variety listed as an R5 in a few places. Is it common to find differences in the rarity rating, or could it be a misprint?

Comments

• zas107zas107 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

I think the 0-107 is an r2, pretty sure the o-107a is at least an r4 I suspect misprint.

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 107a is an R5.
    Lance.

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep ... it's an R5.

The Overton book is in error (there are plenty of errors in the Overton books).

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • FHCFHC Posts: 323 ✭✭✭

Thank you guys. I figured maybe the Overton book had a mistake. I've heard that they have mistakes in them, especially the earlier editions.
    It looks like there are only a few auction results, which would support a higher rarity rating than an R2.

• FHCFHC Posts: 323 ✭✭✭

Bump to show my find.

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep in mind ... your die state is an R5, but the die marriage is an R2. Rarely does an R5 die state command the same premium as an R5 die marriage.

Also, what contributes to the lack of auction results for die states is that not everyone reports die states and may just add the die state into the same group as a die marriage. In other words, there may be some 1814 O.107 auction results that are actually 1814 O.107a.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file