Home Q & A Forum
Options

Do these quarters have misaligned die errors

I appreciate feedback

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has the appearance of a very minimal MAD.

The middle quarter may have a small angle rotated die but it may just be your placement of the quarter for the pic.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

A very slight off center strike

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kliao said:
    A very slight off center strike

@Kliao These are minor misaligned dies, not off center errors. There is a difference. MAD is caused when a die is not aligned with opposite die (off to one side). One side will be centered while the other side is slightly off. This is a common occurrence and you will see lots and lots of these. Notice on the OPs pic that the reverses are centered

An off center strike is caused when the planchet is not centered in the striking chamber. Both sides will missing letters, etc.

FYI: MADs like the ones posted above do not add extra value to the coin. It would need to be significantly misaligned to have any additional value. However, they can be interesting to save.

Hope that clarifies things a little

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 12, 2019 5:04PM

Keep looking - you'll find much better examples at some point. But if these help inspire you or educate you then by all means hold onto them for now. I do that sort of thing all the time. ;)

• Options

Thank you guys so much. I learn a lot from y’all.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

For some reason these misaligned die quarters are very common 1981-1983, P mints especially so.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a off center error.

• Options

Agreed with the above. While some of these may slightly appear to have off-center errors, they are generally ok. Historically I have seen ones with much more pervasive errors, which begins to then move from the numismatic genre into the exonumia genre. Fortunately that is not the case here, but thank you for sharing your pictures!