Home Sports Talk

Freddie Kitchens is in over his head.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Freddie Kitchens is in over his head and he needs to either go or get out of the way and allow someone else to be in charge of play calling.

Al H.

Comments

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    Freddie Kitchens is in over his head and he needs to either go or get out of the way and allow someone else to be in charge of play calling.

Al H.

That seems about right. What's the talk with the local media? Any chance he is gone sooner rather than later?

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭✭

He needs to get this team some self discipline first and foremost, the penalties that they get are absolutely ridiculous

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

the penalties aren't the problem, the defense isn't the problem, the players on offense aren't the problem, the play calling on offense is the problem.

no offense perk, but if all you do is watch replays on the Sports shows and read what is written you won't know that. you need to watch each game, every play as I do. Kitchens is in over his head and either needs to go or let someone else call the plays. if he did the latter he could focus on everything else.

it doesn't look like the defense is very good, but that is a mirage. they have been playing with no.'s 2-3 DB's due to injury for a good part of the season which forces them to rush four without many blitzes, the LB's have to help in coverage. add to that the problem with the play calling and the "D" eventually fails and looks like the problem.

today they have had about 8-10 plays from inside the five yard line and haven't been able to score a TD. the reason --- stupid, stupid, stupid play calling. on every running play, I think there were 6-7 of them from inside the two yard line, Kitchens has one man out wide. the result --- Buffalo is at the line with 10 men in the box and the play is called up the middle.

I can see that once, maybe twice, but when I'm sitting in my home watching and it's obvious the guy calling the plays needs to do something different.

Kitchens just needs to go, he's hurting his Team.

@keets said:
    the penalties aren't the problem, the defense isn't the problem, the players on offense aren't the problem, the play calling on offense is the problem.

no offense perk, but if all you do is watch replays on the Sports shows and read what is written you won't know that. you need to watch each game, every play as I do. Kitchens is in over his head and either needs to go or let someone else call the plays. if he did the latter he could focus on everything else.

Well I was basing that on the one game I watched of them and the announcers were talking about the amount of penalties, but yea I don’t follow them enough to really know what’s going on. I would think it’s not all on Kitchens though, the players are the ones who are on the field and losing is on them as well as Kitchens I would imagine

players make mistakes and, yes, that is on them. the thing that makes me crazy is the play selection. Kitchens gets out-coached in every game, sometimes worse than others. he has a tendency to try to fool the other Team with trickery when it isn't necessary. the Browns have a lot of talent on offense. despite his stats this year, Baker Mayfield can play, OBJ can play, Jarvis Landry may be better than Beckham and Nick Chubb may lead the League/Conference in rushing, he's just phenomenal.

Freddie Kitchens needs to just trust these players and call plays accordingly, nothing fancy, and force the other Team to beat us. the Cleveland Browns have beat themselves and been the victim of some strange plays. they can play: aside from three fluke plays with the Pat's they played them even, they shellacked the Ravens 40-25(it wasn't that close) and they just beat the 6-2 Bills in spite of the HC's stupid play calling.

Browns won, Mayfield did not throw a pick, that’s part of the issue they have been having is him gunslinging it

not really "gunslinging" at all. that is what the stats will tell you, they won't tell you that receivers have run into each other on timing routes, that 3-4 of the int's have been ball that should have been caught but ended as int's. I would say Baker has thrown six plain picks so far and should have about that many more TD's. stats don't always tell the whole truth, you need to see the actual plays.

it's sort of like the QB that throws a swing pass behind the line of scrimmage and the RB dodges and weaves for a 65 yard TD. stats are funny that way. :D one thing is sure, Mayfield has more talent around him this season and it hasn't resulted in more wins. maybe today is a start because they have an easier schedule going forward. the Thursday game against the Steelers is winnable, should be fun to watch as the veins in my neck pop out and I holler at the TV!!! :p

Ok ok bud, not trying to get you upset 😂

after that game not much can upset me short of OSU losing to Rutgers!!! B)

and yet they have only lost two more games than the Chiefs. I think that speaks well as to how fragile an NFL Team can be.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

but mayfield sucks too , firing kittens might get you to 8-8 , there is something wrong with the QB though. He has talent but so did drew bledsoe

bronco, have you watched any games this year or are you relying on what the media tells you?? Mayfield has made mistakes and had his struggles off the field but he isn't the problem. he has to run the plays that Kitchen tells him to or he'll be riding the pine-pony.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I watched them play the pats and I think a sunday or monday night game and the 4th quarter of some other game.

So if its coaching then its a management problem isn't it? What possessed them to hire the guy that was a running backs coach to be a head coach/qb whisperer ?

They say Mayfield wanted the guy but who cares what he wants?

Quality management would give no weight to what the rookie QB wants when selecting a head coach , it would never enter into the process

@keets said:
    bronco, have you watched any games this year or are you relying on what the media tells you?? Mayfield has made mistakes and had his struggles off the field but he isn't the problem. he has to run the plays that Kitchen tells him to or he'll be riding the pine-pony.

I too thought Him and Kitchens are friends, I was under the impression that was the reasoning behind hiring Kitchens because of Mayfield. Also QB’s have the right to audible out of a crappy play call regardless if the coach is calling plays or not. Does Kitchens call the offense or the OC?

so much to cover.....................firstly, yes, Baker Mayfield's preference was to have Freddie Kitchens as the HC because of the "rapport" the two had, but some of the decision was also based on Greg Williams reluctance to do certain things. also, Williams' previous record with the Bills wasn't strong so Dorsey thought a rookie would do better, it surprised me. as I said earlier, the logical thing seems to be keep things as they are, if it ain't broke don't fix it, but I digress.

to the QB and play calling, yes, Kitchens is calling the play into Mayfield from the sideline, presumable after he also has input from the OC in the booth. and yes, Mayfield can and should call an audible once the huddle breaks and he sees the defensive set. remember, though, that helmet mic is active till 15 seconds and the play usually comes in after the defense is on the field. that means to me that QB's today don't audible remotely close to what they did in the past. there's someone else watching from the booth and on the sideline who is doing that.

this is an interesting point in the GOAT comparisons. QB's in today's game have much more help in decision making then in the past, it allows them to concentrate more on just performance. add to everything the fact that defenders aren't even allowed to touch a QB today and there is really no way to compare the eras.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    so much to cover.....................firstly, yes, Baker Mayfield's preference was to have Freddie Kitchens as the HC because of the "rapport" the two had, but some of the decision was also based on Greg Williams reluctance to do certain things. also, Williams' previous record with the Bills wasn't strong so Dorsey thought a rookie would do better, it surprised me. as I said earlier, the logical thing seems to be keep things as they are, if it ain't broke don't fix it, but I digress.

to the QB and play calling, yes, Kitchens is calling the play into Mayfield from the sideline, presumable after he also has input from the OC in the booth. and yes, Mayfield can and should call an audible once the huddle breaks and he sees the defensive set. remember, though, that helmet mic is active till 15 seconds and the play usually comes in after the defense is on the field. that means to me that QB's today don't audible remotely close to what they did in the past. there's someone else watching from the booth and on the sideline who is doing that.

this is an interesting point in the GOAT comparisons. QB's in today's game have much more help in decision making then in the past, it allows them to concentrate more on just performance. add to everything the fact that defenders aren't even allowed to touch a QB today and there is really no way to compare the eras.

keets this was a pretty good reply until that last paragraph. We are getting tired of this era thing and not being able to touch the QB dribble that you keep spewing. Tell that to the QB's out with injuries here and there. They stopped calling ruffing the passer when falling on him 1 or 2 weeks into the season. And I don't know about Mayfield but it seems like Dak is making changes at the line a lot. He goes to one side then the other barking out instructions until the clock is down to 2-3 seconds.
    Quit whining about the eras and let it go. ;)

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like to see Bill Cowher come back to coaching. Wouldn't it be something if he took over the Browns. He always reminded me of Sgt. Slaughter

@doubledragon said:
    I'd like to see Bill Cowher come back to coaching. Wouldn't it be something if he took over the Browns. He always reminded me of Sgt. Slaughter

Very good comparison actually

He could get the Browns turned around. If anyone gave him any problems, he could just look at them with that Sgt. Slaughter stare. Drop and give me 50! He's a good coach though.

when Cower coached Special Teams with the Browns his energy, involvement and player relationship was over the top evident. he had a very endearing habit of running down the sideline during when the Special Teams were on the field, almost as if he wanted to be out there with his charges.

he was always held up as the epitome of a Player's Coach.

@keets said:
    when Cower coached Special Teams with the Browns his energy, involvement and player relationship was over the top evident. he had a very endearing habit of running down the sideline during when the Special Teams were on the field, almost as if he wanted to be out there with his charges.

he was always held up as the epitome of a Player's Coach.

I certainly enjoyed watching Bill Cowher coach. Another coach I will miss watching is Urban Meyer. I enjoyed watching his emotion on the sideline. He poured his heart and soul into the game, and it showed.

I remember Cowher well, he was definitely all in all the time.