Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

I've always wanted an French Ecu...

...but boy is it tough to find one that isn't cleaned, totally abused by adjustment marks, or has the undertype coming through in not a good way. Nice coins certainly command a premium.

So I haven't made it up to a full ecu, but was able to get the 12 sols below (1/10 of an ecu), which is graded 63. I like the Louis XVI coins since I think about the French American alliance during the Revolutionary War. It's got the look I like, with colorful toning and luster. The double strike looks cool to me. Looks like the date is 1778 under 1779. And finally the privy mark which I thought was a duck, but apparently is a heron and the mark of one Jean Dupeyron de la Coste II. On the reverse is a lyre, the privy mark of the engraver François Bernier, who worked in Paris from 1774 to 1793.

Anyone have similar era royal French coins?

My current "Box of 20"

Comments

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm digging that doubling. And it's on both sides. Nice pick up. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• MattTheRileyMattTheRiley Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭

WOW! Beautiful!

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ecus aren't difficult. France only had three Kings in 150 years (1643 to 1793), so that makes it easier too.

• bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have some, they are cool coins.

• Senator32Senator32 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a nice example! Congrats!

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you asked. Fishing through my France box I found these two that clearly need put into another place😉

I like your great find and thanks for share. Seems I still have some reorganization to do since my office set up It never ends does it?

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• This is one of the two coins i keep outside of my collection theme of multiple thaler size coins. Its 1792 ecu de six livres,

• CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was mesmerized by a 1792 ecu that I saw at the 1995 ANA in Anaheim. It was in MS65, and semi-prooflike! A real stunner, and I wish I'd bought it. The price was $2,000 or $2,200, but I also had my eye on other coins at the time.

Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's my ecu. Toning matches the OP's 12 sols quite nicely.

• Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks all for the comments. @messydesk - I have commented before how much I like your ecu - it does indeed have the look I am going for. (And I was very very close to pursuing but went after something else in that auction.)

Any others out there?

My current "Box of 20"