Home Sports Talk
Options

Are Referee's cheating in sports today? If so, in what sports ??

MLBdaysMLBdays Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 8, 2019 5:57AM in Sports Talk

Guys like this cheated for quite a while and with reckless abandon:

Are Referee's cheating in sports today? If so, in what sports ??

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    could be

I'm not sure its happening on a widespread level as part of a huge conspiracy like it was with Tim D. but I think a single ref can cut a corner for his own benefit... legal gambling is seductive as an avenue of making a great deal of fast cash. I think Ref's are aware of lines on games and they can have an impact and get away with it if they are shrewd about it. SURE they can. Football a bit more difficult as I see it... Basketball not so much.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure. Corruption is rampant in all facets of life where a potential big payday is involved. Many though want to put on the blinders at the tip off or face off or kickoff.

Legal sports betting takes the wagering out of the shadows but will make it more available so at best you have a wash.

Hard to tell how systemic it is, but boy, we seem to be seeing bunch of miserable calls lately.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    could be

I can’t tell for sure, whenever the Human element and Money are at stake stuff can happen. I do think in today’s society where everything is monitored and there really are no well kept secrets it would be tough to get away with cheating at such a high level.

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2019 3:25PM
    yes

there's a small (3%) group of addicted gamblers.

Add up the number of refs, umpires in all sports multiply by 3%.

Toss in the ref or ump that falls on hard times and agrees to do whatever someone giving him $50K wants.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    could be

I think it depends a bit on the sport. Baseball might be a bit tougher for the umpire to cheat in than football.

40 or so years ago Bud Grant said that the NFL should hire professional Umpires to call the games. That might help.

I have seen some unbelievable missed calls in football, usually at least once a game. I think it's getting a little better, but still some pretty obvious stuff gets missed.

Are they cheating or are they just missing the calls?

It seems like in most sports the home team gets at least one call per game to me.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    could be

You just can never tell with money. Hey, I just finished watching Mr. Majestyk, starring Chuck Bronson. He plays a peaceful watermelon seller. They screwed with his watermelons. I don't have to tell you what happened next.

• Options
    could be

That's TOO WEIRD saw the movie today myself!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2019 3:55PM
    could be

@JoeBanzai said:
    That's TOO WEIRD saw the movie today myself!

Dang, that is weird! A classic movie though. It has forever changed my view on the watermelon business. You mess with a man's watermelons, there's going to be consequences and repercussions.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2019 4:07PM
    could be

I voted could be, but with the assumption that they are. I assume it has to happen on atleast a very small scale regularly considering the gambling ramifications.

Edit to add: There is a large rabbit hole of supposed proof you can go down on YouTube if you choose to, even if only for entertainment purposes. A few years ago I watched a little.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2019 5:19PM

i abstained from voting bc there wasn't an 'i wish the refs would throw games on my shitty team's behalf' option

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Incidentally,it's gone largely unnoticed, but there's a new movie about the Donaghy scandal out right now - "Inside Game". Supposedly pretty good.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say, without question, there are one or more corrupt officials in the major sports.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:
    I would say, without question, there are one or more corrupt officials in the major sports.

Perhaps a few players as well...

• Options
    ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes

I'll say it could get worse when gambling gets legal all over the US gradually.

• Options
    could be

Yes, football, last night.

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ya know... you watch and watch...
    you cheer and cheer
    You could even bond a family together with a sport.
    A Sport ! (not a team, remember that.)
    Then someone says no to your eyesight, your knowledge, and dont forget, the will to push on.
    Then you think why should I care?
    I'm just here for the knowledge that i have, somthing to discuss, debate, desicrate. or just drink,
    For The ..give me a beer !

• Options
    arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭
    no

No via technicality.

Referee’s are not playing the game.

Therefore they arent cheating at the game.

They are fixing it.

But I definitely think there are “unsaid” league, commercial sponsor, or personal influences to help favor the outcome.