Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I purchased this 1599 Sigismund III 6 Groschen. Is it uncirculated?

These are the images taken by the dealer who will be submitting this for me. I would love to hear the groups thoughts.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks it to me.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like it! Great detail!

But, very hard for me to "read" the surfaces from this picture. Two thoughts - this 400+ year old coin has been cleaned at some point - doesn't appear to be too harsh. And, not seeing much rub or wear.

I suspect it will straight grade as a 63 or 64 is my guess. Are you sending to PCGS or NGC?

My 3 Groschen I purchased graded as a 63.

And from Wikipedia:

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bob13 said:
    I really like it! Great detail!

But, very hard for me to "read" the surfaces from this picture. Two thoughts - this 400+ year old coin has been cleaned at some point - doesn't appear to be too harsh. And, not seeing much rub or wear.

I suspect it will straight grade as a 63 or 64 is my guess. Are you sending to PCGS or NGC?

My 3 Groschen I purchased graded as a 63.

And from Wikipedia:

Two sets of images were taken. Here is the other set at the bottom of this post. He referred to different lighting techniques, I am not quite sure what he means. I prefer the ones that show the color better.

I was looking around at other examples from other dates in the neighborhood and this was easily the nicest I found. I am guessing it will grade at least MS64. I am not sure which TPG to send it to, but looking at most of the market, these seem to be far more common in NGC holders than PCGS holders.

Very nice 3 Gr!

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

"He referred to different lighting techniques, I am not quite sure what he means. I prefer the ones that show the color better."

Depending on what angle the coin is relative to light source, number of light sources, etc. the coin will look different in hand.

I think your coin saw minimal circulation, but something has been done to the surfaces in my opinion. I am basing that on the appearance of color and toning in some crevices. For example, on the obverse, the skin of coin right in front of Sigi's face, and fold of the nose, is different than the flat part of the coin.

By the way, when I say that the surfaces had something done to them, it does not necessarily preclude a straight grade, or even an uncirculated straight grade! But something stripped off whatever a 400 year old patina would have looked like and allowed the peripheral re-toning to set in.

I'd be curious what others think. Including whoever you submit it to.

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bob13 said:
    "He referred to different lighting techniques, I am not quite sure what he means. I prefer the ones that show the color better."

Depending on what angle the coin is relative to light source, number of light sources, etc. the coin will look different in hand.

I think your coin saw minimal circulation, but something has been done to the surfaces in my opinion. I am basing that on the appearance of color and toning in some crevices. For example, on the obverse, the skin of coin right in front of Sigi's face, and fold of the nose, is different than the flat part of the coin.

By the way, when I say that the surfaces had something done to them, it does not necessarily preclude a straight grade, or even an uncirculated straight grade! But something stripped off whatever a 400 year old patina would have looked like and allowed the peripheral re-toning to set in.

I'd be curious what others think. Including whoever you submit it to.

I am sure it was treated at some point. 420 year old silver just does not stay this white this long. But whatever was done seems fine to me.