Home Sports Talk
Options

Nobody has posted anything about the CFP Poll??

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 6, 2019 2:21PM in Sports Talk

Here are the top 25:
1. Ohio State
2. LSU --- Louisiana.
3. Alabama
4. Penn State --- Pennsylvania.
5. Clemson --- South Carolina.
6. Georgia
7. Oregon
8. Utah
9. Oklahoma
10. Florida
11. Auburn --- Alabama.
12. Baylor --- Texas.
13. Wisconsin
14. Michigan
15. Notre Dame --- Indiana.
16. Kansas State
17. Minnesota
18. Iowa
19. Wake Forest --- North Carolina.
20. Cincinnati --- Ohio.
21. Memphis --- Tennessee.
22. Boise State --- Idaho.
23. Oklahoma State
24. Navy --- Maryland.
25. SMU --- Texas

I will admit to being a little surprised when I first saw the headline. Of course I am a Buckeye fan but I assumed the rankings would be pretty close to what the Coaches and AP Polls had been --- instead --- the numbers are actually closer to what garnettstyle has been telling us in links in the "2019 College Football thread" a little lower down. What surprised me the most was Penn State ranked 4th.

My impression is that this first Poll of 2019 will let the Teams sort things out as Alabama plays LSU and Ohio State plays Penn State in the coming weeks. That should settle 1 and 2 with no's 5-10 waiting to move up depending on what happens. Interstingly, that second group has already submitted their resumes by playing their hardest games, so I think the biggest potential movers will be Clemson/Georgia/Oregon/Utah. They all need to play hard, dominate and run up the score in their games or else be passed over for what will probably be the 4th spot.

I think this may be the closest end of the season for all Teams concerned that we have seen so far, the best Teams will get a chance to show everyone whether or not they really are the best Teams. For maybe the first time no fans will be able to say they were cheated and their Team was left out.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m just glad it isn’t Alabama and Clemson at 1 & 2

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm very happy with Penn State at #4

If I'm not mistaken, i think that's the highest they've been since the Jerry Sandusky disease tainted my great university.

Penn State academically has since bounced back better than ever. However the football program understandably suffered. Although the program has showed some signs of greatness again in the past few years, it always seemed to fall short.

This upcoming game against Minnesota is a big test as to whether or not Penn State is focused enough not to look ahead to the Ohio State game, and concentrate on the task at hand. They have lost games such as this under the James Franklin era, and hopefully coach Franklin has learned from those mistakes, and keeps our players in the right frame of mind.

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    I'm very happy with Penn State at #4

If I'm not mistaken, i think that's the highest they've been since the Jerry Sandusky disease tainted my great university.

Penn State academically has since bounced back better than ever. However the football program understandably suffered. Although the program has showed some signs of greatness again in the past few years, it always seemed to fall short.

This upcoming game against Minnesota is a big test as to whether or not Penn State is focused enough not to look ahead to the Ohio State game, and concentrate on the task at hand. They have lost games such as this under the James Franklin era, and hopefully coach Franklin has learned from those mistakes, and keeps our players in the right frame of mind.

They made it to number 2 in the AP in 2017.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,058 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't wait for this weekend's LSU vs Alabama game. That should be a slugfest. Of course all big games like this usually end in disaster for me. My wife finding me smashed out of my mind, face down on the kitchen floor, covered in burnt chili.

Hey, honey did LSU just score? I can't make it back to the TV.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

It seems like it has been 50 years since the "Golden Gophers" have been relevant. They have won something like 12 of their last 14 games (mostly average teams). I will be interested in seeing if Minnesota can hang with the big boys!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@stevek said:

It seems like it has been 50 years since the "Golden Gophers" have been relevant. They have won something like 12 of their last 14 games (mostly average teams). I will be interested in seeing if Minnesota can hang with the big boys!

They're ranked 13 from a poll i saw. Ranked 17 on this posted poll.

• Options

@stevek said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@stevek said:

Yeah, well ranking shmanking. I'll wait until they play somebody good. They did beat Wisconsin last year, so that was one good team.

It was nice to see them destroy Nebraska, who used to obliterate the Gophers by 50 points.

No one but me (maybe I'll change my name here to "the ancient one") will remember, but the Gophers used to be a football powerhouse. They have been so horrible even Northwestern (always sucked) had a team challenge for the number 1 spot.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@stevek said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@stevek said:

Yeah, well ranking shmanking. I'll wait until they play somebody good. They did beat Wisconsin last year, so that was one good team.

It was nice to see them destroy Nebraska, who used to obliterate the Gophers by 50 points.

No one but me (maybe I'll change my name here to "the ancient one") will remember, but the Gophers used to be a football powerhouse. They have been so horrible even Northwestern (always sucked) had a team challenge for the number 1 spot.

I hear ya about rankings.

I could do a dissertation of how Penn State has gotten royally screwed over the years in the polls.

I forget the year, but one year, long before the playoff system, Penn State was by far the best team in the country it was so obvious, and the final rankings placed them 4th. I'm still hissed off about that.

It wasn't just Penn State, the polls back then clearly were always prejudiced against Eastern schools, and that is a fact.

• Options

Minnesota is the lowest ranked undefeated Power Five Team, highlighting the problem with minimal inter-conference play of the best Teams.

I have a proposal.......................take all the Teams from the Power Five Conferences and develop a system of scheduling which has each Team play two games/season against Teams from the other four Conferences. among other things, it would give us a better idea of the relative strength of each Conference and it would give some marquee games during the regular season.

• Options

@keets said:
    Minnesota is the lowest ranked undefeated Power Five Team, highlighting the problem with minimal inter-conference play of the best Teams.

I have a proposal.......................take all the Teams from the Power Five Conferences and develop a system of scheduling which has each Team play two games/season against Teams from the other four Conferences. among other things, it would give us a better idea of the relative strength of each Conference and it would give some marquee games during the regular season.

Undefeated undeshmeated. Looks like Gophers have zero victories against teams in top 50. Easy to win when you don't play anyone very good.

We will see where they stand after games against Penn State, Iowa and Wisconsin. I will be shocked if we won more than one of those games. We usually get manhandled at Iowa. Wisconsin at home might be the most winnable.

Gophers just signed their goofy coach to a contract extension. He sure is weird, but he seems to be getting the job done so far. Row the Boat baby!

The Big 10 used to be easy to figure out, beat Michigan and Ohio State and you could consider yourself a contender for the Rose Bowl and a possible National Championship.

Now?????????????????????????????

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

How could anyone possibly care about more than 1 college team?

Or know about more than one? Wtf is a clemson , whats an SMU ? If you offered me $100 if I could say what state the schools on that list that don't have the state or a major city written in the name I would be unable to answer.

LSU ? Wake Forest? Auburn , Baylor? fail fail fail massive fail

What a worthless waste of a Saturday at the prettiest time of the year to sit watching a bunch of nobodies play rigged football games

• Options

What a worthless waste of a Saturday at the prettiest time of the year to sit watching a bunch of nobodies play rigged football games.

normally, I would agree, but when you're retired every day is Saturday!!! like tomorrow, Saturday, I'll be sitting in a tree stand come rain or shine. the day after that, also a Saturday, I really don't know what I'm doing because I don't plan that far ahead. walking the dog for sure, but then the day after that --- also a Saturday(are you picking up on a theme yet) --- I will spend at least three hours on the couch watching CFB and getting ready for, you guessed it, Saturday.

life is good. o:)

• Options

there you go, Bronco, I added the state name of those that would confuse you. heck, I'd sure hate for someone with your sharp wit to be confused and in the dark. see there, this place is really educational. :p

• Options

@keets said:
    What a worthless waste of a Saturday at the prettiest time of the year to sit watching a bunch of nobodies play rigged football games.

normally, I would agree, but when you're retired every day is Saturday!!! like tomorrow, Saturday, I'll be sitting in a tree stand come rain or shine. the day after that, also a Saturday, I really don't know what I'm doing because I don't plan that far ahead. walking the dog for sure, but then the day after that --- also a Saturday(are you picking up on a theme yet) --- I will spend at least three hours on the couch watching CFB and getting ready for, you guessed it, Saturday.

Shoot some squirrels while you're up there. Very annoying animal!

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Squirrels schmirrels.

Javelina or go home.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,058 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 7, 2019 2:47AM

Yes, and squirrels are quite intrusive, especially when they open their own health spa in your backyard.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:

👍👍

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    there you go, Bronco, I added the state name of those that would confuse you. heck, I'd sure hate for someone with your sharp wit to be confused and in the dark. see there, this place is really educational. :p

if any of those stateless words had a decent women's volleyball team I'd know .

In my defense thats mostly about the shorts they wear not misplaced nostalgia