Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Would this be wrong?

braddickbraddick Posts: 22,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I have a registered set yet keep the inserts and break out the coins for placement into a DANSCO? Is a Registry only really valid if the coins remain inside the PCGS slab?

peacockcoins

Comments

• MattTheRileyMattTheRiley Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭

You are going to give people an existential crisis with questions like that!

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

The simple answer is yes that would be wrong, however in this world there is a HUGE grey area for many people between right and wrong. Not long ago a member here posted about how he had crossed an NGC + graded coin to PCGS but had lost the + in the process. He felt that it was perfectly fine to continue to list that coin in the NGC registry still using the + grade, which for me is totally wrong and inappropriate. However many other posters also felt that it was perfectly ok; so while I think its wrong I assume that your scenario will be warmly received by many here. I also suspect many here are ok doing things like that to the registry ats but would not do that to here because of their bias toward PCGS.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once the coins have been removed from their PCGS holders, they’re no longer PCGS graded coins. So yes, it would be wrong.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• braddickbraddick Posts: 22,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    Once the coins have been removed from their PCGS holders, they’re no longer PCGS graded coins. So yes, it would be wrong.

I appreciate your answer. And, I am not necessarily disagreeing with you, yet would you mind elaborating on as to why?
    The coin doesn't change. The insert represents the coin.

peacockcoins

• BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    edited November 4, 2019 6:24PM

@braddick said:

@MFeld said:

I appreciate your answer. And, I am not necessarily disagreeing with you, yet would you mind elaborating on as to why?

Personally, I believe it's your choice to crack out (obviously), but once the coin and insert are not attached at the hip in a slab the insert no longer represents the coin. First, there is no longer concrete proof that that insert goes with that specific coin, and second, once out, it's open for regrading and possibly upgraded or downgraded. Also, no one besides the coin owner knows how that coin was handled after crackout. If it was a red did oily fingers touch it? Was it scratched or damaged during crack out or dropped/scratched in any way?

I think it's fine to represent it as that grade as an owner, but the insert no longer represents the coin when it comes time to sell.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set

I will grant the premise: The insert no longer represents the coin when it comes to to sell. Before that time though- if that time ever arrives within my lifetime- may the set remain intact with the registry?

peacockcoins

Honestly. that's up to you because no one else knows. As long as it's in your hands I'd say that's OK.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 4, 2019 7:54PM

@braddick said:

@MFeld said:

Pat, I really don’t know what else to say (without repeating myself) in order to elaborate. But...once removed from the holders, the coins aren’t PCGS graded, anymore. That, in itself, should disqualify them from the PCGS registry. And if they are to be placed back into PCGS holders at a later date, obviously, there’s no assurance that the grades will be the same as they were before.

Please know that while I’ve opined that what you asked about would be “wrong”, I don’t consider it to be evil.😉 And like a number of your other posts, this one is thought provoking.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

If a tree falls in the forest, and no one is there, does it make a noise (or something like that).

While it may be "wrong", it certainly wouldn't bother me.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm with Mark on this one, as to the actual definition of "PCGS coin" and "PCGS Registry".
    The registry is for PCGS graded coins (in the plastic holder still as, without it, they no longer meet, I would believe, an item that PCGS would recognize as their product/coin.

While no one could really stop what you are proposing, as the coin certainly wouldn't be duped in the registry, unless resubmitted without the label...in which case, it's just like any other crackout with all the inherent issues there, it does, to me, violate the intent of the PCGS registry.

You could always do the registry with the coins in the plastic and then retire the set and crack it out. That wouldn't violate any intent....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• @braddick said:
    If I have a registered set yet keep the inserts and break out the coins for placement into a DANSCO? Is a Registry only really valid if the coins remain inside the PCGS slab?

Hello @braddick

The PCGS Set Registry rules state "Each set listed as current is comprised of PCGS coins certified in accordance with our usual standards. A PCGS coin is defined as a coin CURRENTLY encased in a PCGS holder."

For a complete listing of the PCGS Set Registry rules that all members must agree to in order to participate in the Registry, please visit pcgs.com/setregistry/rules

David Talk
    PCGS Set Registry Manager

Spoken and received! I have yet to break anything out (and subsequently will not be doing so). I wanted opinions on doing so and appreciate all the insights.

peacockcoins

@braddick said:
    Spoken and received! I have yet to break anything out (and subsequently will not be doing so). I wanted opinions on doing so and appreciate all the insights.

Good conversation nonetheless and thought provoking. I know in the past PCGS encouraged people to send them inserts of coins cracked out to keep an accurate census and I'm sure that remains.

• @BBN said:

@braddick said:

Good conversation nonetheless and thought provoking. I know in the past PCGS encouraged people to send them inserts of coins cracked out to keep an accurate census and I'm sure that remains.

Hi @BBN

We definitely want you to send in any PCGS labels you've removed from PCGS holders, thank you for bringing this up!

As the main question for this thread has been answered, I am going to close this thread.

David Talk
    PCGS Set Registry Manager
This discussion has been closed.