Home Sports Talk

It don't mean a thing...if you didn't see them swing.

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post the GOATS that you actually saw play the game--in person.

Tricky as it is tough to recall the home rosters and opponents of the games and events attended, but here goes.

MLB: Ken Griffey Jr.
NHL: Steve Yzerman
NBA: Isaiah Thomas
NFL: Billy Sims
Indy Car: AJ Foyt
Race Horse: Falcon Almahurst
Trumpet player: Arturo Sandoval

Comments

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

nobody needs to see them play , just post a pie chart or colorful graph and we will decide.

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

Tricky as it is tough to recall the home rosters and opponents of the games and events attended, but here goes.

Having seen untold numbers of your rather eclectic posts on this board, you SERIOUSLY have waaaaaaaaaaay too much time on your hands! Nobody really cares about most of your stuff.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Arturo was good, but without the conga line he would have been no better than Harry James.

@MCMLVTopps said:

@Coinstartled said:

Having seen untold numbers of your rather eclectic posts on this board, you SERIOUSLY have waaaaaaaaaaay too much time on your hands! Nobody really cares about most of your stuff.

As you obsequiously opened the thread...

:*

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

@Coinstartled said:

He has to open it , we elected him to speak for us on this and all matters of import

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

I watched Derek Jeter play when he was with the Greensboro Hornets. I had an autographed picture of him from his time with the Hornets, but sold it years ago. I used the proceeds to throw a weenie roast.

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

@Coinstartled said:

Ha, don't flatter yourself.
    Your crap is entertaining though, always good for a laugh, as I have often wondered how you come up with the stuff you do.

• ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon ..Derek Jeter wasn't a bad ballplayer ~ I bet you could afford to throw some chili on them weenie's

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

MLB: Cal Ripken Jr
    NHL: Super Mario
    NBA: Paul Pierce
    NFL: Barry Sanders
    Indy Car: Rick Mears
    Race Horse: -
    Trumpet player: Miles

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never been one to attend many live sporting events. Scattered timed throughout my youth, teens, adulthood.
    However, I did see a few great ones. Not all GOATs, but I assume for this thread we are talking about all time greats. You are right @Coinstartled about the difficulty in remembering opposing teams. I will give it a shot.

MLB: Yaz, Jim Rice ,Carlton Fisk, Dennis Eckersley, Tony Perez. All of these as a kid watching the Red Sox.
    NHL: Ray Bourque
    NBA: Larry Bird, and also McHale, Parish if you want to include them. Michael Jordan

edited November 5, 2019 8:31AM

@thisistheshow said:
    I have never been one to attend many live sporting events. Scattered timed throughout my youth, teens, adulthood.
    However, I did see a few great ones. Not all GOATs, but I assume for this thread we are talking about all time greats. You are right @Coinstartled about the difficulty in remembering opposing teams. I will give it a shot.

MLB: Yaz, Jim Rice ,Carlton Fisk, Dennis Eckersley, Tony Perez. All of these as a kid watching the Red Sox.
    NHL: Ray Bourque
    NBA: Larry Bird, and also McHale, Parish if you want to include them. Michael Jordan

Good list. I meant it as personal GOATS.

I just missed some greats. Tigers-yankees game in '69. Missed Mantle by a year. Gordie Howe by a year (I think) and Dallas, Washington game 50 years ago, Staubach was probably on the bench.

ETA. Found the boxscore for Cowboys-Redskins december 1969. Vince Lombardi was coaching Washington. That is worth a few coolness points.

:)

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

MLB: So many greats - Rose Larkin, R. Johnson, Shilling, Jeter, Rivera
    NHL: No one memorable, whoever got in a good brawl (Coyotes were awful in 2001 and don't recall who they were playing the night before the World Series started)
    NBA: Reggie Miller
    NFL: Larry Fizgerald
    Golfer: Tiger
    Race Horse: Whichever one won me money that day
    Trumpet Player: Lee Loughnane
    Flautist: Ray Thomas

Ray Thomas was a great musician.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Ray Thomas was a great musician.

He got left onstage solo at an outdoor concert venue with a thunderstorm rolling in as everything else was getting covered or packed away. Freestyled for 20 min or so before they kicked everyone out. Quite impressive.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm...

MLB: Clayton Kershaw
    NHL: Paul Kariya - except I saw him in college; have never attended an NHL game
    NBA: Isiah Thomas
    NFL: Barry Sanders, Steve Young & Jerry Rice - all in same game