Home Sports Talk
Options

What is it, week 9, and Clemson is playing................................Wofford?????????? Really??

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Honestly, I had to look up what exactly "Wofford" was, never heard of them. Aren't these the sort of charity games that usually get scheduled in weeks 1-2-3 and are essentially there to help the opponent with cash, not really a game that means anything?? Clemson should be penalized in the Polls for this and dropped from the Top 10 if woeful Wofford actually scores.

End of rant.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

128 team playoff would solve this.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wofford is a 48 point dog.

The Wofford head coach should consider a game strategy of an hour before the game, phoning in and saying the team bus broke down and they will have to forfeit. LOL

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't wait until Clemson plays Riverside Middle school next week. That should be a close game.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

College Football wouldn’t be the same if were not for the occasional Cupcakes

• Options
    edited November 2, 2019 11:08AM

College Football wouldn’t be the same if were not for the occasional Cupcakes.

let's be reasonable, there are enough "cupcakes" in each of the Power Five Conferences to go around nicely, they fall into the schedule as a part of the season routine, all the Top Teams play them. there are also "cupcakes" of the Wofford variety that get scheduled at the beginning of the season and help finance the programs of those schools, that's what this game is about, to help the Wofford program.

the point of contention is doing it in Week 9 as opposed to Week 2 or early in the season. I call BS on Clemson along with a few other adjectives.

• Options

@keets said:
    College Football wouldn’t be the same if were not for the occasional Cupcakes.

let's be reasonable, there are enough "cupcakes" in each of the Power Five Conferences to go around nicely, they fall into the schedule as a part of the season routine, all the Top Teams play them. there are also "cupcakes" of the Wofford variety that get scheduled at the beginning of the season and help finance the programs of those schools, that's what this game is about, to help the Wofford program.

the point of contention is doing it in Week 9 as opposed to Week 2 or early in the season. I call BS on Clemson along with a few other adjectives.

Ok fine but what difference does it make if it’s week 9 or 2? They are going to get the Win regardless. And like you said it benefits the school and these Wofford kids get to be on TV in front of their families and friends to watch them get slaughtered but again Week 2 or Week 9 it don’t make a difference.

• Options

perk, if you don't know the difference between Week 2 and Week 9 I can't explain it to you. in this instance, wouldn't it be more relevant and important to the standings if Clemson was playing Texas A&M??

• Options

Clemson allows 14 point to Wofford, they should drop in the Polls.

• Options

@keets said:
    perk, if you don't know the difference between Week 2 and Week 9 I can't explain it to you. in this instance, wouldn't it be more relevant and important to the standings if Clemson was playing Texas A&M??

I honestly don’t, I don’t watch College Football and don’t pay attention until the Bowl Championships

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2, 2019 7:47PM

@keets said:
    Honestly, I had to look up what exactly "Wofford" was, never heard of them. Aren't these the sort of charity games that usually get scheduled in weeks 1-2-3 and are essentially there to help the opponent with cash, not really a game that means anything?? Clemson should be penalized in the Polls for this and dropped from the Top 10 if woeful Wofford actually scores.

Unfortunately, the ACC conference decided a few years ago that they would follow the sec path and schedule FCS opponants in November....So they can rest up before their rivalry games. Its good for them....Sucks for college football fans.

So yes it is a huge difference. These games should not be scheduled this late in the season.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

@garnettstyle said:

@keets said:

Unfortunately, the ACC conference decided a few years ago that they would follow the sec path and schedule FCS opponants in November....So they can rest up before their rivalry games. Its good for them....Sucks for college football fans.

So yes it is a huge difference. These games should not be scheduled this late in the season.

ACC teams don't need to schedule FCS teams to rest up. All they have to do is play half the teams in their own division. They could rest half their starters against Syracuse, BC, Duke, GT, NCST, and FSU and still win easily.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pitt scheduled PSU and UCF this year for out of conference games. Why is Pitt scheduling more difficult games than Clemson and they are in the same division.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

We can also go outside the stadium at any point, knock back a few cold ones and head right back in. Super nice. So I appreciate games like Wofford. And UNC in back to back weekends earlier this year.

Haters gonna hate & Aint’ers gonna aint.

Go Tigers.

• Options

artee, it isn't a case for me of "hating" on Clemson but garnett describes it well. take Ohio State, they had a bye week yesterday and now play Conference games against Maryland and Rutgers, so as I said earlier, each Conference has Teams they'll play as scheduled which are cupcakes. there's no need to schedule their Charity games this late in the season, it has a bad look to it and cheapens the Polls.

Clemson is without a doubt the class of the ACC and one of the best programs in the NCAA, they should schedule games accordingly and be penalized in the Polls for doing what they did.

JMHO.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

what ails you people? College foot ball is stupid

Decades ago it made sense on a local level as a thing for people to go see live now its just a giant monetary sausage factory.

Fake teams fake schedules , fake scholarships , outrageous tv money for the select few , product placement blah blah

Line everyone of these losers up against a wall and put a bullet in them and we can start over with a new setup.

Rule #1 no tv

Rule #2 , there is no rule #2

Summed up , if you live near a college go to a game and enjoy your day $10 tickets , $2 hot dogs

if you move away from your school then go be a fan of a nearby school of your choice

lets stop masturbating over this garbage at a national level , lets stop monetizing these kids , lets stop pretending that any form of college playoff system will ever make sense. Also , the NFL owners are loaded , lets have them foot the bill for their own developmental league instead of students , alumni , and local taxpayers , are people really this dumb ?

• Options
    arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

@keets said:
    artee, it isn't a case for me of "hating" on Clemson but garnett describes it well. take Ohio State, they had a bye week yesterday and now play Conference games against Maryland and Rutgers, so as I said earlier, each Conference has Teams they'll play as scheduled which are cupcakes. there's no need to schedule their Charity games this late in the season, it has a bad look to it and cheapens the Polls.

Clemson is without a doubt the class of the ACC and one of the best programs in the NCAA, they should schedule games accordingly and be penalized in the Polls for doing what they did.

JMHO.

Do you think the Wofford game was scheduled on Monday?

Do you think Clemson made their own schedule?

Furthermore, definitely not a charity game for Wofford. They banked on this game.

You claim youre not Hatin, but you really are. But it’s only because youre choosing to view it from a particular side of the fence.

Your beef is with the NCAA.