Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PayPal??

BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you use PP gift thru a CC and for a firearm related purchase [which they disallow] what is the likelihood that they will provide some assistance if you threaten to file a chargeback?

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2019 10:11PM

@BAJJERFAN said:
    If you use PP gift thru a CC and for a firearm related purchase [which they disallow] what is the likelihood that they will provide some assistance if you threaten to file a chargeback?

Unless something has changed then chargebacks are a CC issue not PP issue.

Therefore, PP will have nothing to do with it when a CC chargeback is initiated and if something was started with a PP beforehand then PP will cancel and be hands-off. If there is any $$ PP has for the transaction it’ll probably be put on hold until the CC issuer makes a decision.

I’m sure someone has a link to PP on this; I would need a lot more caffeine to self-motivate myself to start digging through PP. :o

Edit: Update below.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:

None?
    Lance.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Once you send money, you are not able to cancel or reverse the transaction. Please check the details of this transaction carefully. If you need to request a refund, you may do so by contacting the person to whom you sent the money."

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/how-do-i-send-money-faq1684

• Options

Begs the question.

If the $ came from a CC, then can a chargeback be started since it’s a cash withdrawal from a CC.

WAG, depends on the CC issuer.

• Options
    edited October 30, 2019 10:14PM

Well, I guess PP might stay involved.

“What is a chargeback, and why did I get one?

When a customer files a chargeback with their credit card issuer, it means that they’re disputing a charge and asking the card issuer for a refund.”

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/What-is-a-chargeback,-and-why-did-I-get-one-FAQ2036

Or,

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/disputes-chargebacks

No more caffeine!

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

I may be wrong but..... I think when you send to friends you are agreeing to not being able to chargeback. If you need purchase protection you need to send to merchant.

• Options

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    I may be wrong but..... I think when you send to friends you are agreeing to not being able to chargeback. If you need purchase protection you need to send to merchant.

Changed from Like to Agree.

I’m out of caffeine and running on empty.

Appears there is no buyer/seller protection from PP with FF. The only thing that might be possible is going directly to the CC issuer and that would be best answered by them.

• Options
    edited October 30, 2019 10:38PM

A buyer sent a PPFF payment from a CC account to a seller. After a few days the buyer asks the seller why no contact and seller says he didn't receive the money. Turns out the seller sent the buyer the wrong email address to send the money to but the money was withdrawn from that account within minutes after being sent. So seller refuses to ship the goods or refund the money sent in error [or maybe not sent in error, but sent with intent to defraud].

PayPal refused to help buyer. So IMO buyer has recourse to file a chargeback with his CC company, but PP could save him the hassle and refund his money, esp. if same person has both email addresses on his PP account.

Since PP usually hates chargebacks they might be willing to help rather than deal with it esp. if they have a hard time recovering the $$$ from their customer.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@BAJJERFAN said:
    A buyer sent a PPFF payment from a CC account to a seller. After a few days the buyer asks the seller why no contact and seller says he didn't receive the money. Turns out the seller sent the buyer the wrong email address to send the money to but the money was withdrawn from that account within minutes after being sent. So seller refuses to ship the goods or refund the money sent in error [or maybe not sent in error, but sent with intent to defraud].

PayPal refused to help buyer. So IMO buyer has recourse to file a chargeback with his CC company, but PP could save him the hassle and refund his money, esp. if same person has both email addresses on his PP account.

Since PP usually hates chargebacks they might be willing to help rather than deal with it esp. if they have a hard time recovering the $$$ from their customer.

This is why people should NEVER use FF for anyone but real FF. You abuse PayPal's generosity, you get what you deserve.

Since he paid a fee for using a CC regardless then he should have just used the regular PP.

• Options

Most (if not all) major CC issuers have a fraud number to call. They’ll take the report and investigate, do not remember if they have 30 or 60+ days.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2019 6:43AM

If the seller truly sent the wrong email address, they do bear some responsibility. But if the transaction was not through ebay or another marketplace, your only recourse is small claims court.

The CC transaction is essentially a cash advance, so it is not connected to the sale. The Paypal FF is essentially a cash transfer as well.

I assume he contacted the incorrect email address and asked for a refund of the error. If he's getting no response, he could try to file a legal action. If they are in different states or even countries, then that could be more trouble than it's worth.

I assume, because you didn't say, that the seller requested FF. I would think your friend could try to escalate with Paypal not based on the charge back, but based on the seller misusing Paypal. I'm not sure that will do anything but give them both a warning. I would think PayPal would frown on this. It is definitely a violation of the user's agreement and possibly considered fraud. Of course, your friend is also reporting himself.

• Options

For the email and PP to work the email had to have been verified in PP.

Sounds like a 🐡y seller.

IMO

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unmess a mess? Should be a snap. :s

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

This is why people should NEVER use FF for anyone but real FF. You abuse PayPal's generosity, you get what you deserve.

Agree, times 100.

• Options

@Hemispherical said:

Sounds like a 🐡y seller.

IMO

It may have been verified. I have 2 verified email address associated with my PP account.

• Options

@Hemispherical said:

Sounds like a 🐡y seller.

IMO

Depends on what the two emails were. If the addresses were "abs39lkj0ji@yahoo.com" and "7nks28y30u@yahoo.com", then it is pretty unlikely they were both valid. BUT, I did have a case a few years ago where someone sent me their address (name changed) as "johnf125@yahoo.com" when it was supposed to be "johnf126@yahoo.com". Both were actually valid email addresses. Fortunately, it wasn't an FF payment and it was easy to get it reversed when faced with a chargeback.

• Options

@mustangmanbob said:
    Violate paypal T and C's with a firearm purchase?

Violate paypal T and C''s with a false FF purchase?

Whine about PP not stepping in and making it right?

PRICELESS

The only thing that would make this better is sales tax being collected.

It was a firearm part/firearm related actually, but prolly doesn't matter. PP DID collect a fee so they should try to help IMO.

So here is the silly logic that both parties apparently used as the reason for using PPFF over regular PP. They thought that if they used regular PP that BOTH would pay the fee since the buyer was paying an extra 3% to the seller to cover the fee.

• Options

@mustangmanbob said:

PRICELESS

Why worry about sales tax? It could be an illegal weapons sale with no license or background check!!! ;)

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Hemispherical said:

Sounds like a 🐡y seller.

IMO

Depends on what the two emails were. If the addresses were "abs39lkj0ji@yahoo.com" and "7nks28y30u@yahoo.com", then it is pretty unlikely they were both valid. BUT, I did have a case a few years ago where someone sent me their address (name changed) as "johnf125@yahoo.com" when it was supposed to be "johnf126@yahoo.com". Both were actually valid email addresses. Fortunately, it wasn't an FF payment and it was easy to get it reversed when faced with a chargeback.

Since they got a fee for the transaction they could have at least checked to see if both email addresses were linked to the same person.
    It's been posted here many times where someone is unhappy with their goods or services so instead of working thru PP they just file a chargeback with their CC company and the CC company pulls the money back from PP. So if they don't want to help, the CC company will and PP will co-operate with their investigation.

And NO this is not my deal.

• Options
    edited October 31, 2019 7:00AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@mustangmanbob said:

PRICELESS

Why worry about sales tax? It could be an illegal weapons sale with no license or background check!!! ;)

Private sales are IIRC exempt from background checks.

• Options

@BAJJERFAN said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@mustangmanbob said:

PRICELESS

Only for a face to face transaction for a firearm, if this was mailed or sent via carrier especially across state lines, even bigger problems as the ATF frowns upon such action....unless it is sent FFL to FFL and 'booked' accordingly. The buyer can then fill out a Form 4473 and go through the requisite background check should he not possess a license.

• Options

@AmazingIntellect said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@mustangmanbob said:

PRICELESS

Only for a face to face transaction for a firearm, if this was mailed or sent via carrier especially across state lines, even bigger problems as the ATF frowns upon such action....unless it is sent FFL to FFL and 'booked' accordingly. The buyer can then fill out a Form 4473 and go through the requisite background check should he not possess a license.

That's getting away from the issue and those details were not mentioned by the poster elsewhere.

The simple question is since PP hates chargebacks does the threat to file a chargeback offer any leverage when dealing with PP? I suppose if you work /worked there or had a similar experience you could give a definite answer; otherwise it's just like your opinion man.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2019 10:35AM

I have no sympathy what so ever here. 1st stupid thing was not just using regular paypal as the cost would be the same...just cough up the percentage the seller has to pay. It is also probably classified as a cash advance on a credit card. The thing that grips me is if enough people cause paypal grief over this they will simply stop the program...screwing folks who use it legitimately!

• Options

@BAJJERFAN said:

@AmazingIntellect said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

That's getting away from the issue and those details were not mentioned by the poster elsewhere.

The simple question is since PP hates chargebacks does the threat to file a chargeback offer any leverage when dealing with PP? I suppose if you work /worked there or had a similar experience you could give a definite answer; otherwise it's just like your opinion man.

PayPal doesn't hate chargebacks any more or less than a credit card company. You can't file a chargeback on PP. I'm not sure you can file a chargeback against the CC company if you took a cash advance. But, if you can file anything, it would be with the CC company.

The problem is: both companies did exactly what they were supposed to and exactly what your friend wanted them to do. If he THINKS there's fraud, I think his better move is to file a criminal complaint. If it was just a "mistake" by the seller, he should take it up with the seller as he bears responsibility for giving the incorrect email address. If that is indeed what happened.

• Options

@BAJJERFAN said:

@mustangmanbob said:

PRICELESS

It was a firearm part/firearm related actually, but prolly doesn't matter. PP DID collect a fee so they should try to help IMO.

So here is the silly logic that both parties apparently used as the reason for using PPFF over regular PP. They thought that if they used regular PP that BOTH would pay the fee since the buyer was paying an extra 3% to the seller to cover the fee.

How did PP collect a fee if it was FF? Isn't the CC company the one that collected the fee?

By the way, charging the buyer 3% to cover the PP fee is also against the PayPal user's agreement.

• Options
    edited October 31, 2019 10:44AM

@BAJJERFAN said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Hemispherical said:

Sounds like a 🐡y seller.

IMO

Since they got a fee for the transaction they could have at least checked to see if both email addresses were linked to the same person.
    It's been posted here many times where someone is unhappy with their goods or services so instead of working thru PP they just file a chargeback with their CC company and the CC company pulls the money back from PP. So if they don't want to help, the CC company will and PP will co-operate with their investigation.

And NO this is not my deal.

You file through your CC company because you HAVE TO. The CC company is the primary. Paypal stays out of the way of the CC company investigation. Even if you file it through PayPal, PayPal immediately goes to the CC company and then gets out of the way.

• Options

@BAJJERFAN said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Hemispherical said:

Sounds like a 🐡y seller.

IMO

Do we know that they didn't? It is highly unlikely that they would be if this is a scam. [And there has been ZERO EVIDENCE presented here that it is an intentional fraud.] If you are going to run this as a scam, the two PayPal accounts would have different names and addresses on them.

What did the seller say about HIS mistake?

• Options
    edited October 31, 2019 12:49PM

@amwldcoin said:
    I have no sympathy what so ever here. 1st stupid thing was not just using regular paypal as the cost would be the same...just cough up the percentage the seller has to pay. It is also probably classified as a cash advance on a credit card. The thing that grips me is if enough people cause paypal grief over this they will simply stop the program...screwing folks who use it legitimately!

Nobody cares about your thoughts on sympathy nor did they ask your opinion about it. The question was whether or not threatening to file a chargeback would have any leverage in getting help from PP. Yes, he should have just paid the regular way but as I said he was apparently misinformed about PP getting paid double.

Many people who use PPFF also use it as fee paid too.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@AmazingIntellect said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

PayPal doesn't hate chargebacks any more or less than a credit card company. You can't file a chargeback on PP. I'm not sure you can file a chargeback against the CC company if you took a cash advance. But, if you can file anything, it would be with the CC company.

The problem is: both companies did exactly what they were supposed to and exactly what your friend wanted them to do. If he THINKS there's fraud, I think his better move is to file a criminal complaint. If it was just a "mistake" by the seller, he should take it up with the seller as he bears responsibility for giving the incorrect email address. If that is indeed what happened.

I know you can't do a chargeback to PP, duh, but they don't like it when people go around them and do a CC chargeback because the CC company takes the money from them and the onus is on PP to get it back from their member who got the money which may or may not be easy. If the CC finds in PP's favor they get it back. The money sent to the incorrect address was removed within minutes of being sent kind of like the guy was expecting it. The "seller" refuses to ship the item or refund the buyer's money.

The buyer is not my friend, don't know him; it's just a situation posted on another message board.

• Options

@BAJJERFAN said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@AmazingIntellect said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

I know you can't do a chargeback to PP, duh, but they don't like it when people go around them and do a CC chargeback because the CC company takes the money from them and the onus is on PP to get it back from their member who got the money which may or may not be easy. If the CC finds in PP's favor they get it back. The money sent to the incorrect address was removed within minutes of being sent kind of like the guy was expecting it. The "seller" refuses to ship the item or refund the buyer's money.

The buyer is not my friend, don't know him; it's just a situation posted on another message board.

Any money sent to my account is immediately accepted. You can set up your account that way. It's not someone going in and manually doing anything, it's just the default on the account.

But is the seller admitting to his/her mistake with the email address?

I would still threaten the seller with action with PayPal. If the seller asked for FF and/or asked for a 3% surcharge to accept PayPal, they are in violation of the User's Agreement.

Now, the seller is only innocent here if they sent the correct email address. Otherwise, they have to feel some responsibility for the lost payment. I wonder about the details. Then again, I'm guessing we won't get any.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Hemispherical said:

Sounds like a 🐡y seller.

IMO

Do we know that they didn't? It is highly unlikely that they would be if this is a scam. [And there has been ZERO EVIDENCE presented here that it is an intentional fraud.] If you are going to run this as a scam, the two PayPal accounts would have different names and addresses on them.

What did the seller say about HIS mistake?

PayPal refused to help him. If you use PPFF and a CC then PP charges you because the CC company charges them. Whether it's a wash or not I don't know.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cheat PayPal by using a FF when that is not the case. You get what you deserve. Period.

• Options
    edited October 31, 2019 1:20PM

I assume this is the transaction:

Never mind - those gun folks are nuts!

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@AmazingIntellect said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

Any money sent to my account is immediately accepted. You can set up your account that way. It's not someone going in and manually doing anything, it's just the default on the account.

But is the seller admitting to his/her mistake with the email address?

I would still threaten the seller with action with PayPal. If the seller asked for FF and/or asked for a 3% surcharge to accept PayPal, they are in violation of the User's Agreement.

Now, the seller is only innocent here if they sent the correct email address. Otherwise, they have to feel some responsibility for the lost payment. I wonder about the details. Then again, I'm guessing we won't get any.

I can't give any details that I don't have. Yes the seller is admitting to giving the the wrong email address whether intentional or not. If the account can accept funds isn't it automatically verified?

• Options
  • Options

I am still looking for a connection to rare coins on this thread and can't find one.

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree to just file with the CC, then fight it out. They may disallow, but you're right where you started, so what?

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2019 1:31PM

@Coinstartled said:
    I am still looking for a connection to rare coins on this thread and can't find one.

PayPal is a good thing to use to help buy coins; the connection should be obvious. Why does the connection have to be to rare coins? It's a US Coin forum not a rare coin forum.

• Options

@shorecoll said:
    I agree to just file with the CC, then fight it out. They may disallow, but you're right where you started, so what?

My guess is the CC company will support him.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

Not all of us.... ;)

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options

@privatecoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Not all of us.... ;)

Noted. Maybe just the ones on that forum. For no reason, in the middle of the thread, they started threatening each other!!! And they weren't even parties to the problem.

That's a good example of a poorly moderated board. UGH!

• Options
    edited October 31, 2019 2:22PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@privatecoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Not all of us.... ;)

Noted. Maybe just the ones on that forum. For no reason, in the middle of the thread, they started threatening each other!!! And they weren't even parties to the problem.

I think it was more in jest, but who knows. The same kinds of stuff has been posted here in the past. Like a lot of threads here including this one stuff gets derailed.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@privatecoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Not all of us.... ;)

...as opposed to a well regulated board.

• Options

So who won? :D:)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file