Home U.S. Coin Forum

Doing research on the 1922 "With D," "Weak D" and "No D" Cents. UPDATE: MANUSCRIPT FINISHED!

Comments

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anybody have a Sixth Edition Redbook handy? Missing that one from my set.

How does it list the 1922 varieties, please?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Night HawkNight Hawk Posts: 44 ✭✭✭

Pulled my 6th Ed off the shelf.

Three varieties:
    1922D
    1922D (broken D)
    1922 Plain (No D)

Hope this helps
    Night Hawk

Moo... I said Moo!

Thanks!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

About to write up the section on Die Pair #4 coins. Attached is an example of a Very Late Die State coin. Does anybody have a high grade one of these?

• ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bump, any updates?

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck

Have been trying to tell if two varieties are just vastly different die states of each other or two different dies. Been looking at microscope cameras to help match up flow lines.

Old thread revived.

The project grew from an article to a book. I have finished my manuscript and submitted it to a publisher. Will see what happens.

Organizing the photographs that I have, and then will finish up any microphotography that I need. Does anybody have any interesting 1922-D or No D or Weak D ephemera that might make an interesting photograph in the book? For example, I saw this envelope and flyer on eBay

but it went for way too much money for the coin, perhaps because it was accidentally misidentified as a "No D" in the original listing. I cannot use this picture because I do not own it, but perhaps one of you has one of these flyers and envelopes you could photograph for me?

Anything interesting in the way of holders might work. I have a single 2x2 Capital Plastic holder with 1922D printed on it.

Any lucky piece encased 1922-D cents might be of interest. I have several.

Hope to have the artwork to the publisher by the end of January, if we can work out a contract. I have one other publisher interested if the first one passes.

Thanks for any help!

TD

P.S.: I have solved the mystery of why Die Pair #2 shows no mint mark. The explanation will be in the book.

• dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep us updated. I will certainly be getting a copy when it comes out.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably not what you are looking for, but it is different in the field striations, mint mark not so great.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

No longer my coin, but I know who bought it ;)

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2022 2:27PM

This may not be what you’re looking for but I collect raw 22 D cents, I have 7 of them but this one is different. The I and b in liberty are almost completely missing. Weak reverse yes, but could be a clogged die? Not sure. I have another with a reverse die crack at the O in Of America at the bottom.

• shortnockshortnock Posts: 396 ✭✭✭

Congratulations on concluding your challenge. Wishing you and publishers great sales.

• drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great news. Sign me up for an autographed copy.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well deserved cudos for your contributions to our hobby. So grateful to learn valuable numismatic knowledge from you. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• mattnissmattniss Posts: 673 ✭✭✭✭

Wow, congrats Tom! Certainly another well deserved notch on the ol' numismatic belt for you. Looking forward to reading it eventually.

• knovak1976knovak1976 Posts: 299 ✭✭✭

Pretty strong clashes on this one. (Not my coin).

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 28, 2024 7:04PM

@CaptHenway said:
    I spoke with representatives of CDN Publications and Whitman Publishing this morning, and they have agreed to publish my book on the Lincoln Cents of 1922. It will include coins that have Normal D's. Worn D's, Well Worn D's, Faint D's. Very Faint D's and No D's. There will be many new die pairs listed, including one new "No D" die pair, and a ton of new information. Should be out next year.

What started out to be a 3,000 word article turned into a 58,000+ page book, not counting captions. There will be a lot of pictures.

The plan is to incorporate some of the new listings and information into the 7th Edition of "The Cherrypickers Guide." More on that later.

Thanks to Bill Fivaz for asking me five years ago to write that article. THen the tale grew in the telling.....

Tom DeLorey

I'll look forward to buying it. Hopefully it has less than 58,000 pages.

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.
    Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24

My word!

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

@knovak1976 said:

Those are die cracks.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yosclimber said:

@knovak1976 said:

Those are die cracks.

To be fair, there's also a nice clash between CE in CENT from the area around the back of Lincoln's neck.

• WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great achievement - Look forward to adding it to the library.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.

@WaterSport said:
    Great achievement - Look forward to adding it to the library.

WS

Thank you.
    What do you think is the demand for such a book, especially if part of it gets incorporated into the Cherry Pickers Guide?

• orevilleoreville Posts: 11,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2024 7:56AM

I remember back in the 1970’s how the experts stated the 1922 no D cent with strong reverse was not a pure 1922 no D cent. Only the weak reverse was the cent to own. Then 20 years later it was the other way around! What happened?

I am so confused that i might no longer remember which was the reverse to look for back then and now.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

Monumental achievement & a great reference for the hobby. Thanks to you for all your hard work & diligence completing this project!

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• PizzamanPizzaman Posts: 272 ✭✭✭

Can we start at the beginning? I'm sorry about this, but I'd never before thought to inquire. Where were these 1922 dies hubbed? Were they hubbed in Philly then shipped to the branch mint for the affixing of the marks or were they hubbed at the branch mint? Just what if anything came from Philly?

@Pizzaman said:
    Can we start at the beginning? I'm sorry about this, but I'd never before thought to inquire. Where were these 1922 dies hubbed? Were they hubbed in Philly then shipped to the branch mint for the affixing of the marks or were they hubbed at the branch mint? Just what if anything came from Philly?

Back then the only die shop was in Philly. They hubbed all dies, added mint marks to some, hardened the dies and shipped them to SF or Denver as necessary.
    The book will present a brand new, and fairly startling, theory about the dies used in Denver in 1922.

@oreville said:
    I remember back in the 1970’s how the experts stated the 1922 no D cent with strong reverse was not a pure 1922 no D cent. Only the weak reverse was the cent to own. Then 20 years later it was the other way around! What happened?

I am so confused that i might no longer remember which was the reverse to look for back then and now.

No, then as now the “No D, Strong Reverse” was the good one. I have discovered its origin.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will you be selling it in a pdf version?
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
    edited August 30, 2024 9:57AM

@CaptHenway said:

@oreville said:

No, then as now the “No D, Strong Reverse” was the good one. I have discovered its origin.

Perhaps you would not object telling me (us) the details of your discovery even in a separate thread to avoid hijacking your current thread? I assume that it was a previously reported discovery years ago.

edited August 30, 2024 9:45AM

@CaptHenway said:

@Pizzaman said:

Back then the only die shop was in Philly. They hubbed all dies, added mint marks to some, hardened the dies and shipped them to SF or Denver as necessary.
    The book will present a brand new, and fairly startling, theory about the dies used in Denver in 1922.

Thank you so much, Tom. To get further into the weeds, then, presumably all these dies that came from the Philly Mint were 1922-D dies wherein the marks had been punched in at the Philly Mint, the "Weak" and "No" Ds having been the consequence of intervention of some sort or another at the Denver Mint, is that consistent with the way you understand it? I'm just trying to clarify for my own understanding.

edited August 30, 2024 10:01AM

As far as the rest of the 1922 cent story I always found it fascinating. The 1922 regular D the 1922-weak D and the 1922 no D. I seem to recall reading that many of the 1922 no D was really a very VERY weak D that was not visible to the naked eye and somehow the wrong class of reverse was the diagnostic clue.

edited August 30, 2024 10:19AM

@oreville said:
    As far as the rest of the 1922 cent story I always found it fascinating. The 1922 regular D the 1922-weak D and the 1922 no D. I seem to recall reading that many of the 1922 no D was really a very VERY weak D that was not visible to the naked eye and somehow the wrong class of reverse was the diagnostic clue.

Neither of those will show a D. If you can see any trace of a D, it's neither a weak nor a no D. That's how I learned it. The weak and no Ds are differentiated on known die attributes, not a magnifying glass.

@oreville said:

@CaptHenway said:

@oreville said:

Perhaps you would not object telling me (us) the details of your discovery even in a separate thread to avoid hijacking your current thread? I assume that it was a previously reported discovery years ago.

No, it isn’t.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good info, will check my example(s) tomorrow.
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • breakdownbreakdown Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't collect Lincoln cents but please let us know how to purchase the book when it becomes available. There is a good amount of mystery around these coins, and I look forward to reading about it.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• MartinMartin Posts: 922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2, 2024 2:54PM

@CaptHenway I’m up for the book but please tell me it’s not 58,000 pages

Martin

@Martin said:

Martin

Words.

You planning on a 1922 no D cent origin for Dummies version?

I happen to own two 1922 no D cents in circulated condition. They are cool.

@CaptHenway said:
    Sorry I have been unavailable to do this properly for the past few days. Everybody is fine now.

First of all, there are legitimate 1922 "No D" cents from three different causes. There are multiple dies that show various "Worn D" and "Faint D" mint marks from related causes. Some of these obverse dies come with various reverses of greatly different strengths (sometimes 2 or 3 paired with the same obverse) to the point that everything you thought you knew about 1922 reverses is now obsolete. This will be explained in the book.

Second of all, the Mint did something during its manufacturing of 1922-D cent dies that it never, to the best of my research, ever did before or since. This anomaly either directly or indirectly resulted in the various missing or incomplete mint marks. This will be explained in the book.

Thirdly, Kaiser Bill had something to do with it all. This will be explained in the book.

Please don't ask me to give the book away free here. I have invested five years of my life and a lot of expenses in getting to this point. Please let me sell a few books to help recover some of those costs. I did this as an exercise in pure Numismatics to answer a question put to me by Bill Fivaz back in 2019, but even a Numismatist has to eat.

TD

Without giving away your book details can you summarize whether the creation of the missing D mint mark was a or an

Machine Accident

Or

Human accident

Or

Human intentional error?

@CaptHenway said:

@Martin said:

Martin

Words.

That makes a difference. :)

• rec78rec78 Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

I look forward to it. I have more than a roll of 1922-d cents from a recent wheat cent purchase. I will certainly purchase one!

• I have a 1922 "no D" with what appears to be a die crack near the date. Have not seen any others like it.

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/34521497

PCGS pics are all that I have.

@TPring said:
    I have a 1922 "no D" with what appears to be a die crack near the date. Have not seen any others like it.

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/34521497

PCGS pics are all that I have.

Appears to be some sort of damage.

• "Appears to be some sort of damage."

Thanks for the reply. I was never sure if it got details for the "crack" or the scratch marks to remove it or both.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file