Home Sports Talk

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

No doubt that the execution will be bungled, but it is about time.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,728 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is great. It will encourage kids to focus on sports rather than academics.

After all, our society needs sport stars a lot more than we need doctors, engineers, scientists, etc.

• Options

@stevek said:

After all, our society needs sport stars a lot more than we need doctors, engineers, scientists, etc.

The Eagles do!

• Options

It'll be just wonderful seeing fetus's signed to sports contracts who have two athletic parents.

Sort of the same way they do now with race horses.

Perhaps the sports team could even get to name the kid, same way they do now with race horses.

• Options

C'mon Steve. March Madness is worth hundreds of millions of dollars, drunken woaniszing coaches get $5,000,000 and bupkis for the star athletes that put on the show.

Let them at least put a couple bucks in the bank.

Zion could have easily ended his career wit one bad step at Duke.

Just think of that degree though.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome! Bring back the NCAA College Football Video Game!!

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

With everything being on the up and up I believe some of the big stars will actually be taking a pay cut.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    C'mon Steve. March Madness is worth hundreds of millions of dollars, drunken woaniszing coaches get $5,000,000 and bupkis for the star athletes that put on the show.

I've stated this before. The super star athletes are going to get paid. Whether they attend or graduate college or not. We all know that. But no company is going to give endorsement money to regular college athletes.

In my view, all this will do is give false hope to many millions of kids out there, especially kids living in poverty. These kids should be focused on academics first, and sports should be a distant second. I'm afraid these new rules may do just the opposite.

Hey, i'm a huge fan of sports, always have been always will be. And I actively played sports growing up, and in high school and college.

I'm going to stop here before this becomes a dissertation. Suffice to say in my view nothing was broke, but government decided to fix it. Starting with ultra-crazy California and then the NCAA was sort of forced into it. And in this case it's not for the overall betterment of the kids.

Perhaps it will have a happy ending. 🤷

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is long overdue.

• Options

@stevek said:

@Coinstartled said:

I've stated this before. The super star athletes are going to get paid. Whether they attend or graduate college or not. We all know that. But no company is going to give endorsement money to regular college athletes.

In my view, all this will do is give false hope to many millions of kids out there, especially kids living in poverty. These kids should be focused on academics first, and sports should be a distant second. I'm afraid these new rules may do just the opposite.

Hey, i'm a huge fan of sports, always have been always will be. And I actively played sports growing up, and in high school and college.

I'm going to stop here before this becomes a dissertation. Suffice to say in my view nothing was broke, but government decided to fix it. Starting with ultra-crazy California and then the NCAA was sort of forced into it. And in this case it's not for the overall betterment of the kids.

Maybe they fixed it, but a decade ago a star quarterback from a poor family was in a major bowl game. His mother didn't have the $400 to fly to the game so she stayed home. The school and the boosters would have put up the money in a heartbeat but the NCAA forbid such a payout.

In 1981 I ran a marathon. I was a slothlike distance runner, but since Greg Meyer, a professional runner was in the race, I lost my amatuer status. Didn't matter as I had no plans to ever compete in an NCAA or olympic event,but those were the rules and elite runners that wanted to keep their eligibility stayed out of the race.

NCAA has always been an obstical to achievement and it is refreshing to see California puch them in the right direction.

There are a ton of specious reasons for why so called student athletes should not be paid. I have not seen the first logical one.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Totally bad move!

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@stevek said:

@Coinstartled said:

Maybe they fixed it, but a decade ago a star quarterback from a poor family was in a major bowl game. His mother didn't have the $400 to fly to the game so she stayed home. The school and the boosters would have put up the money in a heartbeat but the NCAA forbid such a payout.

In 1981 I ran a marathon. I was a slothlike distance runner, but since Greg Meyer, a professional runner was in the race, I lost my amatuer status. Didn't matter as I had no plans to ever compete in an NCAA or olympic event,but those were the rules and elite runners that wanted to keep their eligibility stayed out of the race.

NCAA has always been an obstical to achievement and it is refreshing to see California puch them in the right direction.

There are a ton of specious reasons for why so called student athletes should not be paid. I have not seen the first logical one.

A number of the student athletes already were getting paid. With a free college education worth many thousands of dollars, and a diploma that will help get them into company doors worth many thousands more throughout a career.

And since when has California been so well run? It's been a long time ago.

Just wait and see, for every "sad" story about the quarterback's mother that perhaps won't occur now, and that story wasn't all that sad...there will be countless more truly sad stories of kids getting exploited in various ways.

• Options

Getting a scholarship is not getting paid. You can't buy a movie ticket with a scholarship.

And even if you ARE getting paid with a scholarship, why shouldn't you be able to sign autographs for cash? Music students on scholarship can. Why should athletes be different? Answer: they shouldn't.

• Options

@stevek said:

@Coinstartled said:

@stevek said:

@Coinstartled said:

A number of the student athletes already were getting paid. With a free college education worth many thousands of dollars, and a diploma that will help get them into company doors worth many thousands more throughout a career.

Just wait and see, for every "sad" story about the quarterback's mother that perhaps won't occur now, and that story wasn't all that sad...there will be countless more truly sad stories of kids getting exploited in various ways.

And poll every student athlete that is receiving the scholarship and ask them if they would rather have $25k a year instead. Oh maybe 20% would take the education. The others would grab the cash.

But us fans and boosters know better what these young adults should be doing. Pure altruism that we decide what is in their best interest.

Fact is, paying the "students" their fair share destroys the fairy tale that these players are loyal to our corrupt and dreck universities that we attended half a hundred years ago.

In reality, the illusion was shattered when the coaching contracts ballooned to over what the school presidents were earning.

Somehow if the car dealer in town pays the half back a couple thousand bucks to sign autographs and pose for selfies, the sport is ruined. if it is, so be it.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:
    Getting a scholarship is not getting paid. You can't buy a movie ticket with a scholarship.

And even if you ARE getting paid with a scholarship, why shouldn't you be able to sign autographs for cash? Music students on scholarship can. Why should athletes be different? Answer: they shouldn't.

They should be allowed to get endorsements from private company’s as well.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@stevek said:

@Coinstartled said:

@stevek said:

@Coinstartled said:

And poll every student athlete that is receiving the scholarship and ask them if they would rather have $25k a year instead. Oh maybe 20% would take the education. The others would grab the cash.

But us fans and boosters know better what these young adults should be doing. Pure altruism that we decide what is in their best interest.

Fact is, paying the "students" their fair share destroys the fairy tale that these players are loyal to our corrupt and dreck universities that we attended half a hundred years ago.

In reality, the illusion was shattered when the coaching contracts ballooned to over what the school presidents were earning.

Somehow if the car dealer in town pays the half back a couple thousand bucks to sign autographs and pose for selfies, the sport is ruined. if it is, so be it.

<<< corrupt and dreck universities >>>

You can say that again. LOL

I'm not going to sit here and argue semantics with anyone. If receiving a scholarship is not technically getting "paid" then we all know the students are being given something of tremendous value in return for their athletic services, even though you're right about corrupt and dreck universities.

My guess is that certain companies such as Nike are very happy about this decision. You know, the same company that has the disease called Colin Kaepernick as their spokesperson.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just think of all the tax money that can be raised by taxing their scholarships now though: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-10-29/senator-seeks-to-tax-scholarships-of-athletes-with-endorsements

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:
    Just think of all the tax money that can be raised by taxing their scholarships now though: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-10-29/senator-seeks-to-tax-scholarships-of-athletes-with-endorsements

Absolutely they should be taxed and they will be taxed on their new income. Same as everyone else.

I just scanned the article, but i doubt very much if the value of their scholarships will be taxed. It would only be the other monies they earn. I doubt if a new law needs to be passed about that, they will already be liable for the tax.

It's all Just another way these athletes will get in trouble. Probably most of them will fail to pay the tax, and then when they get audited, they will suddenly receive a huge tax bill from the IRS for back taxes, interest, and penalties.

Most of them will blow the money somehow, and it they don't get a pro contract, they will suddenly be in a world of financial trouble early in their lives.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

That's just a senator puffing his chest and stomping his feet. He's not taxing music or academic scholarships, he ain't gonna be able to tax athletic scholarships either.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,716 ✭✭✭✭✭

The top college talent in football and basketball will likely have endorsement contracts in place during their senior year of high school (or even earlier).

For those college athletes who participate in other sports (i.e. lacrosse, water polo, etc.), they mostly will not receive endorsement contracts. However some of them might, specifically those minor sport athletes (both male and female) who are genetically blessed with not only superior athletic skills, but who also are blessed with knockout physiques and good looks.

For all other athletes who do not fall into the categories described above, they most likely will not be offered endorsement contracts. That would be "unfair" and "unjust" in the minds of many, because "equality" in everything is desirable and of paramount importance, ....... isn't it? (Perhaps federal legislation to address and resolve this matter is necessary).

Of course, the concept of "competitive" sports would also be unfair and unjust in the minds of many, because competitive sports involves determination of "winners" and "losers", and we cannot have that because "everyone is a winner".

B)

• Options

@SanctionII said:
    The top college talent in football and basketball will likely have endorsement contracts in place during their senior year of high school (or even earlier).

For those college athletes who participate in other sports (i.e. lacrosse, water polo, etc.), they mostly will not receive endorsement contracts. However some of them might, specifically those minor sport athletes (both male and female) who are genetically blessed with not only superior athletic skills, but who also are blessed with knockout physiques and good looks.

For all other athletes who do not fall into the categories described above, they most likely will not be offered endorsement contracts. That would be "unfair" and "unjust" in the minds of many, because "equality" in everything is desirable and of paramount importance, ....... isn't it? (Perhaps federal legislation to address and resolve this matter is necessary).

Of course, the concept of "competitive" sports would also be unfair and unjust in the minds of many, because competitive sports involves determination of "winners" and "losers", and we cannot have that because "everyone is a winner".

B)

If the snowflakes in society get their way, no scores will be kept on college games. Every team automatically wins all their games, and every athlete will receive a pretty participation certificate with a gold star on it. Everyone will be happy and satisfied. And professional sports will be banned.

• Options
    ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

A few comments.

What percentage of all student athletes will this change even effect? 10%........1%.........0.1%? Undoubtedly far less than this. For every potential professional college athlete, there are literally thousands that play basketball, volleyball, rugby etc. with no future or interest in a professional sports career, and nobody interested in paying for their picture or autograph.

Students participate in athletics because they want to. Not because they are being forced to, or they are being tricked or enslaved by brutal collegiate overlords. Most full scholarships easily total 6 figures over 4-5 years. If some student athletes feel exploited, let the professional sports teams expand minor leagues for them, and see what they get paid there. Tired of hearing about their exploitation.

Lots of money is generated from a few collegiate sports. Where does it go? It is plowed back into the universities to support the majority of college athletics, not into mansions and yachts for NCAA administrators, and the vast majority of college coaches don't make anything like the ridiculous contracts for some high profile coaches. But that's another issue.

Colleges should focus on academics. Seems obvious, but gets overlooked in discussions like this.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷