Home Autographs Forum

JFK SIGNED "IOWA JACKSON DAY DINNER" FROM DES MOINES, IOWA MARCH 22, 1958

PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK where did you get this thing.

A great piece. Obviously someone at the dinner had the foresight to get it signed.

Is that signed in ballpoint pen? Looks like a nice sig from an early ballpoint pen.

• PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭

My mother's cousin attended this luncheon and had JFK sign it. Years ago she told me that she had met JFK and obtained a signature and that she would send it to me. She didn't mention the dinner and I assumed she had gone out to the airport or something and met him and probably had him sign an odd scrap of paper or something. After she passed away this spring I mentioned it to the executor of her estate and, as luck would have it, they found it among her papers. I made the 570 mile round trip yesterday to pick up various items and was delighted when I saw the program. I don't know how she had the foresight to have only JFK sign it and not any of the notable Iowa dignitaries. I assume it was because of his Catholic faith as she and her mother were very devout Catholics. I believe it is signed in ballpoint pen.

Wow - that is a great story.

You are right - good for her for only getting the out-of-state-up-and-coming politician to sign it and not the others, who were likely far more well known in her state, Not that they would have ruined it, but nice to have just his in retrospect.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

John F. Kennedy was already quite well known nationally by the time this was signed. He was already more important than the others on the program. Think PT-109 story among other things.

All glory is fleeting.

Yes, I am sure you are correct. But I was thinking, who would normally pass by their Congressman and Governor to get only the keynote speaker? Obviously she did. ;)

I agree, JBK, especially since the Iowa Governor was there and his face is featured on the front of the program. JFK was certainly an up-and-comer, but he wasn't a cinch for anything other than being the Senator of Massachusetts, at least in 1958. As for PT-109, I believe there was some press regarding that right after the war and although it did get some play during Kennedy's years campaigning, the movie wasn't released until 5 more years after this event.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PipestonePete said:
    I agree, JBK, especially since the Iowa Governor was there and his face is featured on the front of the program. JFK was certainly an up-and-comer, but he wasn't a cinch for anything other than being the Senator of Massachusetts, at least in 1958. As for PT-109, I believe there was some press regarding that right after the war and although it did get some play during Kennedy's years campaigning, the movie wasn't released until 5 more years after this event.

I seem to recall that the PT-109 story had been the subject of a TV show that aired during the 1950's. There were many such WWII themed shows during that decade.

All glory is fleeting.

I printed a photo of JFK and affixed it to archival sleeve that the program is housed in. I like the look of this better than Kennedy's signature below a protrait of the Iowa governor.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely beautiful. John F. Kennedy was a great man.

That's a great idea (since no damage was done to the item). Of course, if you ever displayed it that way it would possibly lead to uneven toning of the paper in that area.

Good point, JBK. Actually, I don't have any of my autographs on display. However, I did make a 12 " X 12" print of the McCartney LP and frame that so I could hang it on the wall. I think it turned out pretty well.

@PipestonePete said:
    Good point, JBK. Actually, I don't have any of my autographs on display. However, I did make a 12 " X 12" print of the McCartney LP and frame that so I could hang it on the wall. I think it turned out pretty well.

That's funny, I don't have any of mine on display, either.

That is a fantastic idea with the PM album. It does look great and preserves the original.

@PipestonePete ... Today I saw the same program also signed by JFK listed on eBay.

If you search "John F. Kennedy" and "signed menu" that should turn it up. It is listed by a German seller.

The other menu was signed by the governor as well, and the collector wrote JFK's name under his signature ( :s ).

Your is much nicer. ;)

edited March 24, 2020 4:49PM

Thanks for the heads up, JBK, I'll check that out. Yup....I thought that might be the one. I saw that same one on Google when I googled "Kennedy Jackson Day" or something like that. I wonder how many others might be out there. I have only seen these two.