Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

What card saver for thick card sub?

What kind of sleeves do you use for thick card subs? I only have top loaders for 180 pts thickness but will PSA frown on that?

Comments

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • _EagleEyeKid__EagleEyeKid_ Posts: 273 ✭✭✭

Thanks. Will check it out

• firstbase23firstbase23 Posts: 447 ✭✭✭

I have used top loaders before on these before with no issues.

Matt

• HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

Card savers 4s

• PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

CS4's are probably the best and safest. I have used CS1's before as well. The trick with these is to cut the bottom corners off at an angle. It releases the pressure on the corners of the card. Just don't cut it so far up that it exposes the corners.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sent a gold framed card in a top loader and penny sleeve and didn't have an issue.

Arthur

• secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    CS4's are probably the best and safest. I have used CS1's before as well. The trick with these is to cut the bottom corners off at an angle. It releases the pressure on the corners of the card. Just don't cut it so far up that it exposes the corners.

Do you do this for regular card size submissions as well to relax the fit? I never have had issues with Card Saver I's, but I have heard a lot of people dinging corners or believing it was more difficult to use than top loaders, so I am now curious of your method.

• PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

@secretstash said:

Do you do this for regular card size submissions as well to relax the fit? I never have had issues with Card Saver I's, but I have heard a lot of people dinging corners or believing it was more difficult to use than top loaders, so I am now curious of your method.

Nope, only for thicker cards. I will say, some of those patch/relic cards are really thick and the only option is the CS4. As far as top loaders, I despise them. I find that a carefully inserted card into a penny sleeve then put into a CS1 is much less "dangerous" than a top loader. If top loaders had a tab at the top where one side was longer than the other I would be ok with them. I just don't like how you have to put a card in a top loader. To me, it's much safer using a penny sleeve and card saver. I know opinions vary, lol.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2019 12:46PM

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

@secretstash said:

Nope, only for thicker cards. I will say, some of those patch/relic cards are really thick and the only option is the CS4. As far as top loaders, I despise them. I find that a carefully inserted card into a penny sleeve then put into a CS1 is much less "dangerous" than a top loader. If top loaders had a tab at the top where one side was longer than the other I would be ok with them. I just don't like how you have to put a card in a top loader. To me, it's much safer using a penny sleeve and card saver. I know opinions vary, lol.

Thanks for the answer.
    I personally don't use a penny sleeve, as I only use a Card Saver 1. Less chance of forcing and potentially bending a corner while sliding is what I theorized after trying it both ways in my first submissions years ago.