Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

More Numismatic Books!

This is the time of the year when a small annual windfall from my Dad's estate enables me to buy some of those non-essentials that add a bit of sweetness to one's life. Thus the rush of new coin books (or books that I do not have) in the recent Mail!

Today's arrivals from Monaco (I think the package possibly originated in a French warehouse). The package arrived in less than one week.

The red book is the standard French guidebook, issued every other year.

The green book is a special issue (issued five years ago) on Trial Pieces and Piedforts since 1870 to the end of Franc coinage in 2001.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 nice books! I’ve got the green one too.

FYI if you ask in advance, Gadory will bring them to NYINC for you to save on shipping.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2019 6:35PM

@pruebas said:
    @BillDugan1959 nice books! I’ve got the green one too.

FYI if you ask in advance, Gadory will bring them to NYINC for you to save on shipping.

Nice thought (their shipping is relatively expensive), but I haven't been to NYC since 1982 or 1983. Not on my bucket list.

The Green book is very interesting, although I will never have more than a few of the coins that are in it.

When I was young, the Francophilia was very strong. Now, it is still there, but more muted.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gadoury ? He is a an expert in french coinage and I believe varieties of french coinage are attributed to his research .

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2019 6:54PM

Mr. Gadoury died many years ago, when he was only in his fifties. I met him two or three times. I believe he was a Canadian transplanted to Europe. He had a nephew with the same last name in Canada who was also involved in numismatics for a while.

Editions Gadoury seems to be presided over by a Gentleman named Francesco Pastrone. The organization is very professional.

@bidask I have several 'Union et Force' five francs, but nothing that nice!

• Options