Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Fake Desert Shield

There seems be a lot fake desert shield cards on Ebay the last several months.
I had to return over 20 packs and several singles for refund.I did get my refund.
Most seem to be coming out of Calif.There are still quite a few being sold.These
have the bright gold shield and offset to the right words desert shield.Beware

Comments

• lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been collecting the hall of famers in graded form. I would like to start with the no graded ones later so that is good information to remember. stay away from California sellers.

• The ones I bought were not from California but the seller got them from California.

• I've also noticed people on eBay selling 1991 Topps packs, stating that they might be Desert Shield packs, which is then netting them a ton more money for their regular 1991 Topps packs. These sellers are being deceitful and borderline fraudulent, because they obviously know their packs are just regular ones. I came across one seller that has a whole story in the eBay description about how his father owned an auto mechanic shop in San Diego 30 years ago, and an army vet couldn't pay for his repairs so he gave his father a few 1991 Topps boxes that he claimed to have gotten while in the service overseas to cover his repair costs. The seller says he can't guarantee that they are Desert Storm, but they most likely are because of the provenance. It's such B.S. I looked at the seller's feedback, and one of his negative reviewers said they are not Desert Storm packs, and that the guy took over a month to refund him his money. Oh, and the seller has the nerve to post more of these 'desert storm' packs even though he now has proof from one of his customers that they're not. I tried reporting it to eBay, but they didn't have a way for me to do it. I just hope potential buyers look at that scammer's feedback.

• yes I also saw that.But these cards have a bright gold counterfeit shield.And they are packs that have been resealed.
    Two cards have been graded by GMA and the cards are fake that they graded.I have been collecting these cards since
    1991 and I seen all the different fakes this one is close but when set side by side easy to see.

• But they are still selling them on ebay,packs and singles.Feel bad for them if they send them to PSA.
    They will get them back not graded and then will want their money back,good luck.

• can you see the difference/top has desert shield words moved to the right/fake
    Also tree trunk is diff.

• both cards are same player ,check location of shield!

• Here is one I bought from seller on ebay.What does everyone think?
    I bought one to see it up close.I believe it is fake.

• arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

this count?

• There are now fake cards coming out of Baldwin Park CA .Selling 36 pack box on ebay,saying you can get 2-8
    Chippers in each box.What are they thinking saying that.What does that tell you?But people are still bidding on them.
    If it sounds too good to be true it most likely is.
    Beware and be safe for the holidays

• That box sold for over 3,000 dollars.
    If they ever have any graded they will be very unhappy.
    Any other thoughts here?

• Yesterday a beat up box of 36 packs of what the seller said was Desert Shield .Said he found a box and a half
    in a storage locker buy.I had him send a copy of the Shield from one the packs he opened,it was fake like others have been on ebay,over last few months.That box sold for over 94 hundred dollars.There is still a lot of fakes on ebay to this day.
    Even ones that have had a bad feedback.Anyone with other thoughts?
    (I have delt with these cards since 1991 and have bought and sold many of the real cards.)

• I'm going to try reporting it to eBay. I tried doing that a few months ago, going through their "report" process on their website, but it's all pull down menus with options of what you can report, and no options made sense for this situation. But I might try again, maybe by calling eBay directly.

• that is what needs to be done.There are way too many fakes on ebay.
    bravo for trying.
    God Bless

• lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭✭

Does PSA know the difference ?
    I have a Juan Berenguer Gem and a Roberto Kelly,, both in PSA 10 my favorites !!!

• Yes they do,i have had 2 cards returned as questionable authenticity.
    So I belive they do.

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

Been a problem since when they first came out. With no other differences, people have figured out various ways to stamp the logo on regular issues. In hindsight would have been beneficial to change the back as well with some indication of the difference.

• softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2020 12:02PM

I have four at PSA right now from BBCE rip months back

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

Brought these way back in 1991.
    Only one I can find handy is this one, but have a box of about 150 or so somewhere.. Gotta look.

Real I believe.. Lmk, Thx...