Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Baseball Card Math. Ever seen these or know anything about them?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pete-Rose-Philadelphia-Phillies-Baseball-Card-Math-Trading-Card-37/362793370754?hash=item54782b8482:g:lBQAAOSwKIhdtbt3

I have messaged the seller who has a bunch of these for sale at BIN/BO to see if i can get more information. They seem as though they could have been a legit issue by a company or sponsor, but no year or company details. they seem a bit too detailed to be a mass produced fantasy card, but those are getting better and better by the day too.

Some of them are a bit pricy, although the seller looks to be open to offers. I bought the Garvey, just in case this is a chance at a really seldom seen and unique oddball, as it was only $10. I offered less initially, but then figured I was risking this item I have never seen in 40 years of collecting garvey over a few bucks. I went back and just did the BIN. I checked sold listings and at the time, only the Ryan has also sold.

If it is a custom/fantasy/ACEO card, well then I have paid more for them before, so I will not be embarrassed or regretful.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 27, 2019 1:57PM

They seem to be pretty rare. I couldn't find anything about them. I wish they made a Joe Louis math card. I'd pounce on it. I love hard to find, never before seen cards.

• Options
    stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 27, 2019 6:30PM

I just saw the Garvey card you bought. I have no idea if it's one of those ACEO-type cards, but it appears to be from the late 80s/early 90s, based on the look. You might have gotten ahold of a really rare item!

I never even saw it. Dang it.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

Considering that it was a career card, it's interesting that they chose to have Pete pictured in a Phillies cap versus a Reds cap?

Sort of tells me the card designers didn't know what they were doing other than randomly copying and pasting while doing the artwork.

Also i don't quite comprehend why they decided to show a random three seasons of Pete's career?

Other than that, it's not a bad looking card.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t know much about them but no trade marks or MLB registration. Can’t they just print them over and over? Just asking.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2019 9:51AM

Has complete career stats for Rose so must be from ‘87 or later.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on the "complete" stats on the Valenzuela and Gibson, I'd expect it to be a 1990 card. Looks to me like some flavor of Broder, and not a particularly high quality one.

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

First thing I thought when there was no manufacturer/sponsor or copyright was that this was some sort of fantasy/broder/ACEO/Custom or whatever other term applies to a card like that. Several of the bigger names have since sold and they were not cheap by any means, but not super expensive either. The Scot in me wanted to pay less. I actually made a lower offer initially, but decided to just bite the bullet and pay the $10 in case I was risking missing out on something unique. I've spent more to end up with "less" (wax/packs for example), and felt good enough about it that I bought a Carew as well.

And yes, to answer the question, an unlicensed card can be printed over and over (UD even did it with licensed cards I hear) if the person who made them wanted to do so. The difference here is that they don't appear to be. I have been actively collecting Garvey stuff for the last 40 years, but especially since the beginnings of ebay, it is now quite hard to find things you have never seen before (unless they are new). This could be an initial offering of a fantasy piece made to look like an early 90s issue, but I don't have that gut feeling about it. just glad it wasn't more $!

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

Seems like the "active" players at the time were showing stats through 1989 season. Makes sense that the set was made in 1990. Gaylord Perry was not mentioned as a HOFer yet, that happened in 1991, so I think that seals this to be issued sometime after the 1989 season ended and before the 1991 HOF results were announced.