Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question about ripping packs

I'm working on the All-Time Philadelphia Flyers set and three of the cards in the set come from the 1990 Upper Deck hockey set. Thought it would be fun to buy boxes to rip and sub since the boxes are pretty cheap.

Pretty much within the first pack, i noticed the cards don't slide very well and it felt like there was some grit between the cards. Has anybody else noticed that before? Is it normal?

Thanks,

Jason

Comments

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's interesting you mention this as I've had the same "feeling" opening some newer packs. Feels like a tiny piece of sand and then it's gone. If you do have any issue with the cards sticking together, throw the box/packs into the freezer for a couple hours. They will come apart easier and you won't have the damage to the cards pulling them apart. As for the gritty feeling, not sure if that will help or not.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    dad2cl3dad2cl3 Posts: 331 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the feedback! I had originally planned to try and grade the entire set but am beginning to feel like it may be impossible buying boxes and ripping. Surface issues galore looking at the cards under 10x and bright light. My guess is any vibration during shipping or moving will cause the cards to scuff from the grit I'm feeling when I handle the cards.

I did adjust to pulling the cards apart versus sliding them apart after the first pack or so and still see a lot of surface issues. Next step will be to simply pull one of the pile and place it directly in a soft sleeve. I'll give the freezer a shot but am curious if that creates any condensation concerns?

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    throw the box/packs into the freezer for a couple hours.

Since it was just mentioned, I've always done it for under a couple of minutes only myself. Can you confirm if you have done it for longer and never had it result in further damage?

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

@secretstash said:

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    throw the box/packs into the freezer for a couple hours.

Since it was just mentioned, I've always done it for under a couple of minutes only myself. Can you confirm if you have done it for longer and never had it result in further damage?

I had a box of 1991 Wildcard football recently which are notorious for sticking together. I think it might have been in for just over an hour. I didn't have any issues with the cards getting damaged. I ripped them right after i pulled the box out of the freezer. I will say they had a very light layer of condensation on them...nothing that would damage the cards either and it would dry up by the time you got to the end of the pack.
    I don't know if others have had the same experience. Results may vary.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com