Home U.S. Coin Forum

1972 Eisenhower dollar coin collectors!!!

Hello,as I go through my collections to check what's worth keeping and what I can sell,I end up keeping most of and buying more for the incomplete ones, for the Ike dollar coin collection I like to have 2 of each year and type,that way when displayed you can see the obverse on one and the reverse on the 2nd one.I only have one of this,was tagged as 1972 D type 2 doubled die obverse and doubled maybe tripled die reverse,is way shinnier than the others.im not 100% sure because I need a better device for clear magnified pictures,but I think it has a D mint mark on top of a horizontal S .how rare is it? How much should the highest price I should pay if I were to look for one,or ask if I put it for sale? check the pictures and let me know if my description is right to begin with,that way it will be easier for me to search for another one like it. Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

Answers

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2019 11:14AM

Looks like shelf/strike doubling...no added value...if I am correct.

I have never heard of an overmintmark Ike before.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is machine doubling and what looks like PMD on the D mint mark.

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree. Flat and shelf-like = Machine (strike) doubling.

No D over horizontal S. Just a stray mark. Sometimes high magnification isn't a good thing

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • So it should be pretty cheap to buy another one like it

• Could it be a coin minted with a doubled die and then machine double strike,or a little help explaining how is a machine doubling? I thought machine doublings will scratch part of the letter or number and it would make the letter/number skinnier of smaller,and doubled die you can see the whole letter in top of the same letter,I can see complete shapes in top of another complete full letter,I'm not saying you are wrong I just need to learn what a doubled die looks like

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can get strike doubling along with a true doubled die. One coin that comes to mind that it is quite common is the 1967 SMS quarter, many of them have it and it lowers the value. You are still able to see the strike doubling along with the doubled die. Your coin is only showing the machine doubling.

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

All of your photos show "flat, shelf-like" doubling - that is the hallmark of MD.

• Thank you everyone,i was in the borderland of MD and DD between this and another coin,I'm glad this is the MD,so I won't be paying premium price to buy a second one,so the other 3 questions,how rare or easy to find is it?is it a type 2? And how much would be the highest reasonable price to pay for it?😀

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file