Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

2000 Playoff Momentum Football Retail Pack vs. Hobby pack

2000 football wax with Brady is on fire. I found some 2000 Momentum packs that are retail 3 card packs. The hobby are 6 card packs. Everything in hobby is in retail so no difference there. There is a hobby box at steel city for 1649 or just over 103 per pack. I cannot find any information on the retail packs. It appears they were released on a very limited run. Does the scarcity of the retail pack add any value ? How would the value stack up against the hobby pack?

Comments

• Options

I am almost positive 2000 Momentum and Contenders were only released as hobby boxes, so I'm surprised to hear that there are retail boxes out there. Where did you find the retail packs?

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know nothing about this specific issue, but have been stocking up on late 90s-2000 retail boxes in baseball the past several years. You're lucky to see 1-2 boxes of retail for every 50 of hobby for a given issue. I've started to see a premium for some of them over the past year on a per card basis, but I'd say there's a lot of room for growth if unopened collectors start targeting scarce packaging. I think it would take a while after boxes go up for individual packs to rise any significant amount, but it's a long term play I'd be willing to gamble on.

• Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭

@Danblack1980 said:
    I am almost positive 2000 Momentum and Contenders were only released as hobby boxes, so I'm surprised to hear that there are retail boxes out there. Where did you find the retail packs?

They do exist. It took extensive research to discover that they were in retail 12 pack boxes. Beckett notes that there is a dual auto set that is retail exclusive and were redemptions (brady isn't in that set).

Is it a stretch to say that these may be the rarest 2000 football packs in which Brady is possible ? Does this seem like something pack collectors would get excited over since many are probably unaware that they exist ?

• Options

Yup, you're right. Ironically, a retail pack was just posted on eBay. I collect packs and would rather have the hobby one...there's 2x more cards in it and no difference in the Brady you could pull. The odds of pulling inserts might be better in the hobby too, but I'm not positive with this set.