Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Comc question

Looking for a little info on an atypical situation.

Background:

Have never submitted to them.
Usually just buy and will deposit $100 at a time.

Will just let my “inventory” build up and occasionally sell a card while simply waiting on buying enough cards to warrant a shipment. Think I have sold 6 items and seems like they take out their fee and deposit the rest.

Thats my limited knowledge with them on fees.

So here’s my question.

Monetarily speaking, there is a decent sized card there listed. Naturally you have to deposit those funds to even make an offer.

If I deposit that $1k to make an offer and its gets rejected or simply can not reach a meeting point, what happens with that money that I want to get back?

I certainly do not want to keep it there.
And I don’t want to get fee’d to death upon attempting to collect it.

And then how long does it take to reimburse me if there are no refund fees. I know shipping takes close to a week, sometimes longer.

Hopefully, I made all that clear and appreciate any insight.

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last I knew it's a 20% hit on cash withdrawals. It's a big enough hit, I've never attempted. My suggestion, find someone looking to withdraw with that much in their account and come to a side agreement.

• Options
    arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Well that bites and obviously hampers potential sales.

Almost as bad as using a foreign ATM these days.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rttrffg2012 said:
    And In case you weren’t aware, 3 of their biggest sellers have been removed due to mass trimming of low-value and high value cards. Be careful when buying on comc.

To me this is a reason to consider using COMC. They removed the sellers when it came to light. There will be shady sellers - all that something like COMC can do is take action when they are discovered. PWCC is still on EBay.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

They haven't removed the sellers. They removed some of their cards but have stopped that process despite being notified multiple times of the same trimmed cards that are up for sale. I would, under no circumstances, consider COMC a safe portal to purchase any cards at the moment. The investigation that is going on with their biggest seller involves a COMC employee and has hinted at the possible involvement (allegedly) to some degree by the COMC owner.

The amount of trimmed graded cards for sale on COMC right now is staggering. Buyer beware.

Arthur

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2019 6:51AM

Comc charges tax for the deposit as well so keep that in mind. With that being said, you can request a refund up to 30 days on any deposits for buying.

**Buyers Only: If you bought store credit within the last 30 days, we do not need to charge you the cash-out fee.
    Sellers: We will review your account. If you used your purchased store credit and then earned it back from selling items, you will still be subject to the 10% Cash-Out Fee. If you need to purchase store credit to make an offer and your offer is rejected, you can request a refund, and we won't charge the cash-out fee. **

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2019 6:55AM

@ReggieCleveland said:
    They haven't removed the sellers. They removed some of their cards but have stopped that process despite being notified multiple times of the same trimmed cards that are up for sale. I would, under no circumstances, consider COMC a safe portal to purchase any cards at the moment. The investigation that is going on with their biggest seller involves a COMC employee and has hinted at the possible involvement (allegedly) to some degree by the COMC owner.

The amount of trimmed graded cards for sale on COMC right now is staggering. Buyer beware.

Arthur

Thanks for the clarification. Misunderstood based on the previous post. If they have not removed the sellers then they are now complicit.

• Options
    edited October 26, 2019 7:38AM

@brad31 said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

Thanks for the clarification. Misunderstood based on the previous post. If they have not removed the sellers then they are now complicit.

They have been notified over and over and over again and the tons of trimmed cards in graded slabs continue to sit on their site for sale. When, previously, they would remove the trimmed cards and now they won't, it's tough not to say they're complicit.

Arthur

• Options
    arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭
    edited October 26, 2019 1:37PM

Anybody remember when this was just a hobby?

from manufacturers, distributors, pricing sites, buying sites, grading companies, dealers, auction houses, consignment companies, it seems that just about every level has been compromised. it truly is sickening and you cant point the blame at any one entity.

not only that it seems every thread these days gets side tracked into this direction. even that’s nobody’s fault, but still. it’s just sad.

my son is approaching age. i’m having a hard internal struggle to even want to get him into collecting. seems the “basics” these days is how to avoid being screwed vs favorite players, team, organization and those type things that are the soul of collecting.

sorry for ranting. just depressing.

• Options

@artee I think a lot of people feel the way you do. There are still plenty of ways to simply enjoy the hobby of collecting baseball cards though. Opening packs with your kid is something no one can ever take away from you (just make sure the blasters have the Topps branded cellophane and not clear cellophane on them).

But in all seriousness, Topps makes a line called Big League and I think they're like $28 a box. I bet that would be a fun rip with your son.

Arthur

• Options

You have been given bad info in this thread. You can cash out deposited funds within 30 days for no fee on COMC.

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:
    @artee I think a lot of people feel the way you do. There are still plenty of ways to simply enjoy the hobby of collecting baseball cards though. Opening packs with your kid is something no one can ever take away from you (just make sure the blasters have the Topps branded cellophane and not clear cellophane on them).

But in all seriousness, Topps makes a line called Big League and I think they're like $28 a box. I bet that would be a fun rip with your son.

Arthur

100000% on making sure it has the Topps logo on the plastic. I like to pick up a blaster or two on the weekly Walmart shopping run. This past weekend I was in a hurry and didn't even pay attention. Picked up a box of 2019 Topps Update. Got it home, ripped into it and EVERY pack was opened. Not like...opened and resealed, but actually open in the box. This has happened a few times before and I've never returned them. This time I went back and showed the box to the lady in customer service. I don't think she quite understood. I went back to the rack and grabbed two more boxes and brought them to her. I knew exactly what I was going to see as the cello on the boxes was clear with no logo. Same thing.....all the packs inside were open. She grabbed the other box and opened it and the same thing. I took the other 3 boxes off the shelf and left them with her as I didn't want someone else to grab them and get screwed over. I did get my money back. After that, since Target is right down the way and I was feeling cheated, I headed over there to see if i could get some Topps Chrome update mega boxes. Was walking up and thought...score!! I could see 3 of them sitting there. As I got closer, I saw that each box, while still having the plastic on, was sliced open on the back and the packs were opened and put back inside. It had to be done in the store. It had to take more time and energy to do that than just ripping the box open. But, I was able to score a couple Topps Update blasters that were legit.
    Sorry about hijacking the thread. I've just been needing to vent about this for two days, lol!

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

100000% on making sure it has the Topps logo on the plastic. I like to pick up a blaster or two on the weekly Walmart shopping run. This past weekend I was in a hurry and didn't even pay attention. Picked up a box of 2019 Topps Update. Got it home, ripped into it and EVERY pack was opened. Not like...opened and resealed, but actually open in the box. This has happened a few times before and I've never returned them. This time I went back and showed the box to the lady in customer service. I don't think she quite understood. I went back to the rack and grabbed two more boxes and brought them to her. I knew exactly what I was going to see as the cello on the boxes was clear with no logo. Same thing.....all the packs inside were open. She grabbed the other box and opened it and the same thing. I took the other 3 boxes off the shelf and left them with her as I didn't want someone else to grab them and get screwed over. I did get my money back. After that, since Target is right down the way and I was feeling cheated, I headed over there to see if i could get some Topps Chrome update mega boxes. Was walking up and thought...score!! I could see 3 of them sitting there. As I got closer, I saw that each box, while still having the plastic on, was sliced open on the back and the packs were opened and put back inside. It had to be done in the store. It had to take more time and energy to do that than just ripping the box open. But, I was able to score a couple Topps Update blasters that were legit.
    Sorry about hijacking the thread. I've just been needing to vent about this for two days, lol!

As much as it sucks that it happened to you, it's a good thing that you shared it here. That's how I learned about it and now I check every unopened box instinctively before I purchase it -- be it in a retail store or on eBay. Gotta see that Topps logo on the shrinkwrap.

I've even gotten so good at it that I know, for a few older products that I hoarde, the size/pattern of the logo and the number of and location of the seal points. Even have experience with what the secondary wrapping should be like. Back in the '00s and early-'10s, second-hand distributors would buy up all the unsold product at a discount and then rewrap everything and place their own price stickers on them (at a discount from MSRP but still more than what they paid). They used different cellophane from what Topps used and wrapped the blasters in a completely different way.

At the end of the day, it's all about making the effort to educate yourself about whatever you collect. The less dependent you are on someone else's opinion the stronger you are as a collector.

But yeah, to keep the thread on track, stay away from COMC's trimmed cards. The site is smothered in them.

Arthur