Home Sports Talk
Options

Question for the season ticket holders?

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thinking MLB, NHL and NBA as they play a lot of home games each season.

Did you attend anywhere near all the games and what happens when the team sucks. Do you still go to a bunch of the games?

Comments

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am a minor league season ticket holder. Short season A, so 38 home games per year. I have four seats and we used 60% of the tickets this year. I personally attend 34-36 games a year. Then my wife and mom usually come 20-30 times each.

Doesn't matter if the team sucks.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been a full season ticket holder (81 home games) for the Kansas City Royals since 2012, with my plan fluctuating between 3 and 9 full season tickets.

I have personally attended as many as 65 home games in a season, and as few as 15 games in others. I usually also take guests with me for the games that I do attend.

Stubhub has made it extremely easy to resell my tickets for the games that I do not attend. My tickets have actually paid for themselves many times over. I attended all the events surrounding the 2012 All-Star Game, and every home playoff game throughout their 2014-2015 run, as well as probably 400 home games since 2012, all for "free", as reselling my unused inventory has netted me more than the cost of the plan every single year. This year, I had a total of only 8 tickets go unused/unsold.

I laugh when people complain about "the high price of tickets", as if the team really has any control over that. There is such a large quantity of ticket inventory available on the secondary market that people need to understand that it's a simple supply and demand situation, and your fellow fans that buy and sell the tickets through that avenue are the ones that determine price to attend a game. Stubhub and MLB are official partners, and all of the data from the previous years' Stubhub sales are easily accessible to the MLB teams, and market inefficiencies can be determined and factored into the decisions on whether to raise or lower the price of the season ticket plans for that year.

The Royals also have a ticket exchange program in place where I can exchange live tickets (for games not yet played) for tickets to almost any future game, as well as exchanging unused tickets (for games already played) only for future games designated by the Royals.

The Royals also have a lot of extra perks for season ticket holders that may or may not mean anything to each individual. YMMV. I have no idea if other MLB teams are as fan friendly as the Royals are to their season ticket holders, but I am very pleased, and have no plans to discontinue my season ticket membership anytime soon.

• Options
    arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

When I had Yanks season tickets, I just went with the partial package. Primarily got for the Red Sox tickets. Absolutely love that rivalry. And more of a Red Sox fan.

Decent seats on day of could run you the cost of the entire season package. Plus I was in line, second tier, for playoff tickets.

Used 80% of the tickets, gave the midweek, day game tickets away usually.

Could of made a fortune if I would have sold the Sox tickets towards the end of the season, esp the ALCS tickets.

It worked beautifully.

And by the way, this was ‘04.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

While not any of those 3 sports mentioned, been a season ticket holder for the reigning MLS champions Atlanta United team since the Benz opened. It's 17 games plus extras - cup games and such. This year I missed 3 total season games but only because I gave a couple games to some friends while we were out of town, and another game to one of my nieces for her b-day so she could take her boyfriend.

Those are hot tix in Atlanta, it's ridiculous. We win tonight...the final will be in Atlanta for the 2nd year in a row. Got my season ticket holder presale option tix last week. Could probably sell that pair to the final for an easy 4x what I paid for them in about 10 seconds.

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭✭

Had Phillies full season tix for two seasons (2009-2010), went to about 50-60 games each year, sold the rest. Didn't make a killing but was able to .get almost full value for the games I didn't attend. Wanted to move to a less expensive section the following year and was told there were no others available. They didn't even give an alternative. Had to give them up. I'm thinking that now in the current state of things I could have my choice of seats.